Need some help with timing problems... (bent decomp spring and cam upside down)

Started by r00st, November 06, 2009, 08:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r00st

Alright so after FINALLY getting all the pieces to the puzzle back I had some time off tonight to get the thing back together. Everything goes reasonably as planned (always the usual hiccups) until I go to set the timing.

The hash mark on the sprocket was closer to the front of the quad (just off from being lined up). I kept thinking that it was supposed to be just behind (a tiny bit toward the rear of the quad) behind the timing mark on the head?

Anyway...After spinning the crank a few times to check timing I decided to set it again to try and get it closer to the mark on the head. I realized I forgot to take the tensioner out (hence there being no slack in the chain) I had the sprocket bolts out and the bolt holes went out of alignment meaning I had no way to get the sprocket off but to rotate the crank.

So...now the cam is 180* (upside down if you will) from where it needs to be). How do I rotate it back to the proper position? I thought I would just be able to put the sprocket/chain back on it and rotate the crank to get it back into position? I also assume its normal for there not to be any free rotation when the cam is upside down? (it usually has that 1/2 inch of movement to it left/right when its right side up).

Also...in getting the sprocket out due to the tension on the chain the end of the de-compression spring got mangled and is off. Does anyone have a pic of the two places the spring mounts? The end inside the small hole but I cant figure out from memory where the other end mounts. If I can bend the spring back into shape and figure out where it mounts I might try running as is? I know on the DS' we used to actually remove the decomp lever. Made it a bit harder to start but it worked.

**edit** Just looked at the parts diagram and can kind of make out where the spring mounts...Looks like the spring only comes with the entire decompression assembly (40 bucks). Any harm in running the spring I have now if I can bend the tip back into shape and get it to stay in its mounting spot (wherever that is lol)?? Or should I just play it safe and order a new decomp assembly?

I was planning on riding tomorrow but just up and left the quad as it was. I figured I should not be messing with it after getting ticked off...that usually ends poorly! lol.

So if anyone can understand all the non-sense I just typed some help would be much appreciated!
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Alkire193

Ok I had this happen. Grab a 10mm on a socket wrench and man up. Make sure your piston is NOT at TDC so the valves don't hit the piston. Put the socket on one of the bolts that mount the decomp spring mechanism and rotate. It will get really tight the all the sudden release quickly so be ready for it. Then the cam will be spun 180.

The decomp spring is phuckers department but if yours is really mangled I have a decomp mechanism with spring for you whenever you give me an address. 

r00st

I was thinking I could rotate the cam like that but was worried about stripping the 10mm bolt? Should I rotate it clockwise or counter? Or does it not matter?

I went to look at it again today and tried to bend the decomp spring back into shape but it got flattened on the tip so now it wont seat properly. You have a pm :) Thanks for the help!
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Alkire193

Id go clockwise, dont jerk it, and be careful. If you go counter you might just loosen the bolt and then you really didnt do much.

r00st

That would make sense (not to loosen the nut lol). Thanks for the tip. I shot you a PM about the Decomp assembly :)

Karma Given*

I dont know why I waste my time with the other forums...I always get the most info in the fewest number of posts on this forum!
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Alkire193

Ill send it out tomorrow. Not an issue. Let me know if it works for you

r00st

I got the decomp part today. Thanks so much! I am finally in a good mood now (its been a bad week lol). I have fri/sat/sun off (NEVER happens). Quad will HOPEFULLY be running tomorrow, and I will be riding it sat :)

2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Alkire193

Rotate the crank a few times to make sure the valves clear. And make sure you have the single line on the crank and the single line on your cam sprocket lined up and let her rip. Dont forget to install your tensioner, I did once. Nothing bad happened but it is important!