Spark plug....iridium or not to iridium

Started by socalrappy700, August 25, 2009, 07:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

socalrappy700

Ok, so lets lay this debate out.  Are iridium really worth it and why?  Give me the facts boys!
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

11Raptor

Yeah....Fact  :lol:

Michael

Sorry couldn't help it Socal
-2K7 Raptor700 SE2
-Houser +3/4 Blue Steering Stem
-Pro Taper Black SE bars
-ProArmor Kill Switch w/wrist teather
-ProArmor Skid Plates
-ProArmor FAT Peg Black Nerf's
-ITP Holeshot XCR's on ITP SS112's machined w/black
-Yoshi RS-2 Full Titanium Exhaust
-Quadbox FI Power Box
-2K5 2500 Dodge Cummins 4x4 QC w/35's
-EDGE w/Att.

Colorado700R

did I notice a diffrence....Yes, somewhat.  Mine starts easier, and felt a touch better on throttle response.  

It's not anything major, and I cannot say that for sure that it was the plug or just my imagination (new parts neurotic)

It's not a massive purchase though, and I've never had a plug issue since I got the iridium.

Aaron

Krandall

I chose not to go iridium, cost isn't that much more, but still more. I'm stubborn I guess, if someone can show me that it's that much better, I'll switch. People say hotter spark blah blah blah. If you want a hotter spark why not bump up to a hotter plug? I've ran regular plugs.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

fireman5166

well I don't know about proof but I have my bike dyno tuned with an iridium plug. It started right up and ran good. The iridium plug went bad and all I had was a stock plug so in it went. now the bike hardly starts and don't idle for shit. so off to the dealership for another iridium plug. Put the new plug in all problems solved. I guess I am stuck with spending 10 bucks on a plug.  :nod: 
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
rocket factory intake w/K&N
Dynatek programmable  Ignition
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
12,13,14,15, tooth front sprockets
38,40, rear sprockets

txredxj

I changed mine when I first got my bike and have had no problems with starting or anything ignition related. Mine does start faster then other raptors I have noticed. Get the plug number and try the auto parts store, got mine for 8 at orielly's.

DL700

waste of time IMO....dyno tested.... if looking for HP
a fresh clean plug will see the same results

I use a different plug in my builds that see a bit of gain in the upper R's, works well with the A/M wire as well  8)
CUERVO RACING

Krandall

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

SprinterX

08 Raptor 700

RE +1 head, X4 cam, TQS 11.5 piston, KDS +3 TB & evac, FCI,
Barkers duals, PC5 with A/T, Dyna Programmable, DL700 tune.
+2 I-Shock arms, Rock axle, reworked shocks, GTT link, +4 oem ext'd swinger
Elka Sys5 Dampner, Fasst Flexx on Rox anti-vibe risers, TT HIDs
Razr2 on HiPers, Skat 21/12/8 8pdl extremes, Sandstar frts
Roll bumper, PA guards/nerfs/skids

Colorado700R

Quote from: DL700 on August 26, 2009, 01:18:55 AM
waste of time IMO....dyno tested.... if looking for HP
a fresh clean plug will see the same results

I use a different plug in my builds that see a bit of gain in the upper R's, works well with the A/M wire as well  8)

I would like to see those dyno results for an iridium vs a stock plug that have three months of real riding time on them.  There may not be an instant improvement in HP by bolting in a Iridium, but if there is a consistancy benifit over it's lifetime, it maybe worth while.

preddy08

The IR plug is mainly intended for a bike that the map is a little off and may be hard to start.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

DL700

.... if the map is off a bit its easier to change the 0% numbers in about 2 seconds then swap plugs..... FIX the Problem NOT the COMPLAINT! :thumbs:

personally i woldnt run out and buy an IR plug thinking it will product better power but if u are re[placing the stock plug due to wear and feel like spending an extra 10$ for some slight added benefits of anti fouling then go for it.

The IR plug and its intended purpose is for Supercharged, turbo and nitrous to prevent the electrode from  melting.....

From the ngk site
Iridium IX®

The Spark Plug
Serious Enthusiasts Rely On

Designed specifically for the performance enthusiast.  Iridium IX® offers extreme ignitability, improved throttle response and superior anti fouling

* Fine Iridium tip ensures high durability and a consistently stable spark
    * Iridium alloy has extremely high melting point, perfect for today's high-tech, high-performance engines
    * Trivalent Metal Plating - superior anti-corrosion and anti-seizing properties
    * Outstanding acceleration, high fuel efficiency and durability
    * Ultimate design, technology and performance.
CUERVO RACING

Colorado700R

Quote from: preddy08 on August 26, 2009, 10:25:15 AM
The IR plug is mainly intended for a bike that the map is a little off and may be hard to start.

And I would say that it's probably a 10 to 1 ratio of people who have second hand maps vs. Dyno tuned maps for their bike.  And if it helps them run better, and keep them riding, vice swapping a fouled plug, or worse stranded without a replacement, $10 is cheap insurance.

Aaron

txredxj

Yeah, not everyone has a mobile dyno in their sig lol. I am pretty land locked and have to use the wrong map. Nearest dyno is three hours away and never seems to be available when I have the time to make the trip.

Colorado700R

What mods you got.  We got smart folks like DL700, Preddy, and others who could probably give some pointers on tweaks to your map to get you running better.

Aaron