I want to get into either Flat Track or or dirt drags...any advice?

Started by r00st, July 24, 2009, 10:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r00st

Once my motor gets put back together with working parts...I should be at least 60 hp (hopefully pretty close to 65).

To save the trouble of listing all the parts...here is my quad as it is set up now (granted i'll change some things depending on the type of racing).

And no need to comment on the front end...that was right after I installed the suspension so the caster/camber/toe is all out of whack!

In addition to whats in the pic I have a new set of 22x10x10 8 paddle hauler extremes mounted on Red labels.

I have no problem investing a little (more) money into my quad to make it ready for whatever type of racing I decide to get in.

How have you guys gotten started in dirt drags/ flat track? Is there a track listing somewhere for either? I am in Northern IL so im hoping I can find something close. Somebody has mentioned that there is a flat track at one of the local MX tracks but I havnt been able to find it yet.

Could I be competitive on flat track by just taking all of the ride height out of my shocks (motowoz front, elka rear) and buying hoosiers/american racers?

Would it be necessary to have a wheelie bar/extended swingarm for dirt? Or would I be losing to well setup 300ex's because they are stretched or running wheelie bars?

I have just realized that I have this quad I have sunk my heart, my soul and my wallet into this damn quad and im ready to try something beyond trail riding!

2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Bert

Quote from: r00st on July 24, 2009, 10:41:00 PM

How have you guys gotten started in dirt drags/ flat track? Is there a track listing somewhere for either?

Link to the AMA

www.ama-cycle.org

link to short track races in Illinois

http://www.amadirectlink.com/amrace/events/searchresults.asp?sid=9A8CEA0D-4162-4054-B6B1-44385DF8E50F&state=IL&type=2&ref=events

Spend some time on the AMA's site to find whats near you

Could I be competitive on flat track by just taking all of the ride height out of my shocks (motowoz front, elka rear) and buying hoosiers/american racers?

To be competetive in flat track racing you'll want a sway bar up front. Rath Racing has a nice unit.

Would it be necessary to have a wheelie bar/extended swingarm for dirt?

Some  racers use a -1 swingarm on TT/dirt tracks.

Peelz

go check out Preddy08's "300' preddy" thread. He just went to home depot and bought and bought some tubing to make struts. Sits really low.

did prretty well, and his motor is pretty strong.

for flat tracking: you need to drop it to the ground, and +1 to Bert, need the sway bar. You can get a lowering kit for the front and back. Basically just moves the shock mounts so it lowers. The put spacers on the rear wheels. This is how ice racers do it too. Or..old school: Ratchet strap the swingarm down :lol:

Kit is pretty easy to find. Bamaquad, another member, had his set up for flat track.

Get slick tires tires too.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

preddy08

Do you shocks a favor and DONT ratch strap them down. That will kill a shock in short order.
HomeDepot special. Cost me like 25 bucks!
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

r00st

Thanks for the info guys!

Yes If I did drags I would run struts for sure (shocks are heavy so just getting rid of the 3 shocks is pretty considerable weight). I would probably take most of the preload out of the shocks and that would be sitting pretty damn low. At least to try everything out.

Im checking out the links now :)

Of course i just got home and forgot to bid on some flat track tires on ebay...the american racers on rims sold for 37 bucks! So pissed...grrrr
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

dabigbratj

let me know if you need some help building that motor we can make it have great power
the Merchant of Miscellanious Merchandise 

:swinger:

r00st

I dont want a raptor-sellout around my motor...

lol JK...so when is the RZR coming? Please believe were going riding when you get it!

I think once I put the new piston in the motor im going to leave it as is for awhile. Dont have the cash to be dropping the crank in just yet.

Did you sell your motor yet?
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

dabigbratj

Quote from: r00st on July 29, 2009, 03:27:36 PM
I dont want a raptor-sellout around my motor...

lol JK...so when is the RZR coming? Please believe were going riding when you get it!

I think once I put the new piston in the motor im going to leave it as is for awhile. Dont have the cash to be dropping the crank in just yet.

Did you sell your motor yet?
FERK you!!!!
if things go well it would be within like 6 months.

dabigbratj

r00st

2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

dabigbratj

Bert

Krandall

I google mapped it too.. its not even 2 hours away from the quad. it's only 45 mins from my apt!

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

geoman

Quote from: preddy08 on July 25, 2009, 11:35:40 AM
Do you shocks a favor and DONT ratch strap them down. That will kill a shock in short order.
HomeDepot special. Cost me like 25 bucks!

And if that ratchet strap should break in a turn you can kiss your ass goodbye...

You see several bikes run straps in the ATV rodeos and when one breaks they generally wreck.
2008 Raptor 700SEII

06 Outlander 800 Max XT