Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Fact O' The Day  (Read 84482 times)

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: Fact O' The Day
« Reply #990 on: February 17, 2011, 11:34:38 AM »
ninja.

we saw what we saw. :bird:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #991 on: February 18, 2011, 09:52:54 AM »
"Beer keeps you younger, but may give you cancer."

There are notable health benefits associated with a moderate level of beer consumption: it raises HDL ("good cholesterol"), helps prevent cardiovascular disease, decreases the likelihood of dementia, and in general counteracts some of the risks of aging. Of course, all of this only applies when people drink in moderation (fewer than five drinks when one indulges; one to six beverages over the course of a week). However, averaging a drink a day also increases your risk for several types of cancer, including lung, liver, stomach, and prostate cancer.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline russ-russ

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I am Epic Win.
    • Email
« Reply #992 on: February 18, 2011, 07:35:04 PM »
"Beer keeps you younger, but may give you cancer."
So, f*cked either way.  Might as well get sh!tfaced and enjoy yourself.  :beer:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #993 on: February 21, 2011, 07:46:56 AM »
"By licking a postage stamp, you will pick up a nutritional content of around six calories."

According to the British Royal Mail, the nutritional content of a single adhesive stamp is 5.9 calories -- although presumably this figure is the caloric content of all the lickable adhesive on the entire surface of the stamp, and therefore a person's actual caloric consumption would be lower (which may explain the far lower U.S. Postal Service estimate of one-tenth of a calorie). The caloric content comes from the sugars present in the wood-based adhesive gum on these stamps, although they have become far less prevalent with the advent of self-adhesive stamps.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #994 on: February 22, 2011, 08:06:18 AM »
"Men are more likely to forgive a partner who has a lesbian affair than a heterosexual one."

According to a University of Texas study, men are more than twice as likely to forgive a partner who's had a homosexual affair (50% said they would forgive a homosexual affair, as opposed to 22% who said they'd forgive a heterosexual affair). Women, conversely, showed the opposite pattern; 28% said they'd stick with a boyfriend after he'd had a heterosexual affair, while 21% would forgive a homosexual affair.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #995 on: February 23, 2011, 07:20:49 AM »
"Pedestrians are three times more likely to be killed in traffic accidents after daylight-saving begins."

The sudden extra hour when clocks are changed for daylight-saving time is to blame for an increase of pedestrians hit by cars. In November -- when daylight-saving starts -- pedestrians walking near traffic after 6 p.m. are much more likely to be struck by a car than at the same time of day in October, the month before the time change -- and the risk returns to normal the following month. Furthermore, a pedestrian's risk of being struck by a car at 6 p.m. in November is 11 times higher than in April, when daylight-saving time ends. Morning traffic, according to researchers, seems unaffected; only evening rush hour becomes deadlier.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #996 on: February 24, 2011, 09:09:01 AM »
"Doritos once paid a research facility to broadcast an ad into space."

Over a six-hour period in 2008, a Doritos advertisement was broadcast into space by the EISCAT Scientific Association, an international research organization based in Scandinavia. The high-powered radars directed the ad toward a star within a habitable zone that could theoretically support life in the distant Ursa Major constellation. The director of EISCAT conceded that since the ad was being sent as a binary MPEG file, it was rather unlikely to be decoded by extraterrestrial life, but he did defend the benefit to the institution -- pointing out that funding, even from commercial sources, still gets research done.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #997 on: February 24, 2011, 11:37:32 AM »
DOritos...exactly what I want exterrestrial civilizations to know about the ingenuity of the human race.  :thumbs:  :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #998 on: February 25, 2011, 09:04:15 AM »
"Doctors have successfully cured a man with HIV for the first time in history."

In 2007, an HIV-positive man named Timothy Ray Brown was diagnosed with a form of leukemia and underwent aggressive treatment at a Berlin hospital. The treatment included total body irradiation and a risky stem-cell transplant. The transplant came from a donor who happened to have a specific genetic mutation (CCR5 delta 32) that made him highly resistant to HIV. After allowing Brown's immune system to recover and submitting him to extensive testing, doctors have officially declared him cured of HIV.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline dragonz

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 6
  • Dammed if I do & Dammed if I don't
    • Real Robots!
    • Email
« Reply #999 on: February 26, 2011, 12:35:33 PM »

In 2007, an HIV-positive man named Timothy Ray Brown was diagnosed with a form of leukemia and underwent aggressive treatment at a Berlin hospital. The treatment included total body irradiation and a risky stem-cell transplant. The transplant came from a donor who happened to have a specific genetic mutation (CCR5 delta 32) that made him highly resistant to HIV. After allowing Brown's immune system to recover and submitting him to extensive testing, doctors have officially declared him cured of HIV.
Pity the extensive radiation treatment caused his willy to shrivel & he's now growing a second head
2003 Raptor 660LE
719cc with Kenz 13.5:1 piston
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
HV ported head
Ferrea SS Valves
CT Sonic Exhaust
GYTR Clutch

ASR +3+1 A-Arms & Works Tripple Rates
450 Front Calipers
+2 Extended Swingarm
G-Force Axle & Hubs.
Pro Armour Skid Plate
Tusk Nerfs

Gonna be a fun ride now!

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #1000 on: February 26, 2011, 09:18:53 PM »

there is hope for preddy after all. Keep hope alive!

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1001 on: February 28, 2011, 11:53:46 AM »
"Men with deeper voices tend to have more children."

A study of the Hadza people in Tanzania found higher reproductive success and more children overall among men with deeper voices compared to men with high-pitched voices. Researchers have suspected that deeper voices are more attractive to women, but they selected the Hadza because their lack of birth control methods allows for a more direct link between measurable vocal pitch and number of children. Anthropologists suggest that either increased testosterone or the perception that deeper-voiced men are better providers could explain the findings.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1002 on: March 01, 2011, 09:38:14 AM »
"Scientists have discovered a solar-powered hornet."

The oriental hornet (Vespa orientalis) somehow produces electricity with its body, according to findings from a study at Tel Aviv University that observed the behavior and biology of the insect. Realizing that the insect was -- unlike most hornets -- at its most active during intense sunlight, researchers discovered that the yellow stripe on the hornet's abdomen traps light using a pigment called xanthopterin (also found on the wings of butterflies and in the urine of mammals). The hornet then generates electricity from this energy -- although the specific method it uses remains a mystery.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1003 on: March 02, 2011, 10:06:28 AM »
"Researchers discovered that even just the scent of a woman's tears can decrease sexual arousal in men.

The study, published in the January issue of Science magazine, exposed participants to either a solution of women's tears (emotional tears, which are chemically distinct from eye-lubricating tears) or saline. Though unable to distinguish consciously between the two, men exposed to the emotional tears reported a drop in arousal and measured decreased testosterone compared to their counterparts."
Researchers who originally intended to study the chemical effects of empathy and sadness instead discovered that even just the scent of a woman's tears can decrease sexual arousal in men. The study was published in Science magazine in January. Participants were exposed to either a solution of women's tears (emotional tears, which are chemically distinct from eye-lubricating tears) or saline. Though unable to distinguish consciously between the two, men exposed to the emotional tears reported a drop in arousal, and measured decreased testosterone, compared to their counterparts.

funny, because the scent of mens tears turn me on :raptorrally:

:rofl:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Out Back Welding

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 2
  • Out Back Welding
    • Email
« Reply #1004 on: March 02, 2011, 08:39:34 PM »
I need to get some of those tears...could do some pranking with that stuff :thumbs: hmmmm...how could i get some...