Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Fact O' The Day  (Read 85181 times)

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
Re: Fact O' The Day
« Reply #285 on: January 06, 2010, 08:42:09 AM »
'The gym isn't the only place where a man can cut his risk of heart attack or stroke.'

While the gym is an obvious place to get exercise and cut one's risk of suffering a heart attack or stroke, don't overlook the bedroom: mounting evidence indicates the role of an active sex life in reducing risk factors as well, since not only is sex a cardiovascular workout in its own right, it also contributes to reducing stress and allowing for a better night's sleep -- both important in overall health.

Doin my part to a healthy life!  :batman: :clap:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #286 on: January 07, 2010, 07:45:13 AM »
'In most states, anyone can call themselves a "nutritionist."'

This is an important fact to remember when looking to consult a professional to help you change your eating habits. While the term "nutritionist" can be used by anyone, regardless of training or experience, in a number of states, in order for someone to say they are a registered dietician (RD), they must be authorized by the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the American Dietetic Association. RDs have at least a bachelor's degree and have fulfilled certain professional requirements specified by the ADA. They may or may not also call themselves "nutritionists."

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #287 on: January 08, 2010, 07:36:49 AM »
'Spending just three months improving one's credit score can result in much lower interest rates. '

Experts recommend spending between three and six months on raising one's credit score before actually applying for a home loan, since the consequences can mean significant monthly savings as well as substantial savings on the life of a loan. This includes checking with Equifax, Experian and TransUnion credit reports prior to applying for the loan, as well as determining your FICO (Fair Isaac Corp., a financial data company) score. What experts suggest avoiding at all costs? Fee-based credit repair agencies, since although they claim to get negative information removed from your credit report, the truth is that if the information is accurate, a credit bureau has no obligation to remove it.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #288 on: January 11, 2010, 08:02:18 AM »
'1 in 2.56 adults made New Years resolutions. Of them, 1 in 2.7 will fail to keep their resolution for more than a month and only 1 in 7.6 will keep it for the entire year.'

This fact comes to you courtesy of Book Of Odds (bookofodds.com) -- a compendium of strange and funny daily probabilities.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #289 on: January 12, 2010, 07:52:20 AM »
'NFL assigns Roman numerals to Super Bowls because of the changing calendar. '

It might be easier for fans and advertisers to market the Super Bowl along with the year it took place, but the flow of the NFL season and the inevitabilities of the calendar mean that you'll likely never see spots for "Super Bowl 2010." Each Super Bowl in January is designed to recognize the champion of that season, but since the calendar turns over in January and the season doesn't match the year of the championship game, the NFL chooses to avoid any confusion by using Roman numerals.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #290 on: January 12, 2010, 08:59:49 AM »
lame

just call it the number, and get it over with. It is isn't an expensive watch :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #291 on: January 13, 2010, 08:17:21 AM »
'A 30-second ad during the first Super Bowl cost about $40,000.'

According to Advertising Age, advertisers paid $40,000 ($257,000 today) for ads run during the first Super Bowl in 1967, before it was even known as the Super Bowl and before anyone even cared much about the game. This is, of course, a bargain compared with today's prices, which tend to run in the low millions of dollars for a 30-second spot, although today's audience is believed to be made up of as many as 1 billion people.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #292 on: January 14, 2010, 07:31:24 AM »
'Super Bowls account for the top 10 most-watched programs in television history. '

According to SuperBowlMonday.com, not only are the top 10 most-watched programs all Super Bowls, but 18 of the top 20 most-watched programs are also Super Bowls, testifying to the extraordinary drawing power of the game, which is broadcast in more than 220 countries around the world and always reaches a Neilsen rating of at least 40 (1996's was the highest, with a Neilsen rating of 46.1).

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #293 on: January 14, 2010, 12:48:12 PM »
woohoo :rolleyes: check out World Cup numbers.  ;) Super Bowl shmooper bowl.

1.1 billion viewers PER DAY! Lasts close to a month. Or around 450 million viewers just for each match....There are many matches per day. even like Ivory Coast vs Greece or some crappier teamsget more viewers than super bowl...  Ending up at 28.8 billion.

Still don't understand how super bowl winner calls themselves world champs when they don't ever play the world. ???

I think I am done watching the SB, the magic is gone. No more suspense. Just cool commercials.  :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #294 on: January 14, 2010, 10:11:03 PM »
no one else has a football team. if those panzy f*ckin europeans would step up and get off their frilly ass soccer.... Maybe we'd let them join in a war finally too..

:lol:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #295 on: January 14, 2010, 10:13:21 PM »
no one else has a football team. if those panzy f*ckin europeans would step up and get off their frilly ass soccer.... Maybe we'd let them join in a war finally too..

:lol:

they all have football teams. Football the way it was designed ;)

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #296 on: January 15, 2010, 07:27:13 AM »
designed shmezigned.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #297 on: January 15, 2010, 07:41:07 AM »
'The ultimate trivia question: What are the origins of the word "trivia?"'

Not surprisingly, the word "trivia" derives from Latin: the ancient Romans were famous for building roads, and they built about 53,000 miles of them. Often, the places where two or more roads crossed were also places where people posted news and other information for travelers to see. Thus the word "trivia" comes from two words, "tri" (three), and "vium/via" (road/roads), or a place where many roads meet.

So that's where the band Trivium comes from... 8)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #298 on: January 15, 2010, 08:37:39 AM »
'The ultimate trivia question: What are the origins of the word "trivia?"'

Not surprisingly, the word "trivia" derives from Latin: the ancient Romans were famous for building roads, and they built about 53,000 miles of them. Often, the places where two or more roads crossed were also places where people posted news and other information for travelers to see. Thus the word "trivia" comes from two words, "tri" (three), and "vium/via" (road/roads), or a place where many roads meet.

So that's where the band Trivium comes from... 8)

cool. Funny thought that the word trivial is assumed to mean of no consequence or ordinary. WHen by this definition, it is "of or pertaining to 3" ???

greek words suck. :lol:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #299 on: January 19, 2010, 07:34:33 AM »
'An estimated 25 million lightning bolts strike the U.S. every year. '

That calculates to over 68,000 strikes per day, over 2,850 per hour and 47 per minute. In fact, anyone can follow these strikes with the National Lightning map at intellicast.com, which indicates where cloud-to-ground strikes occur every hour in the U.S. While scientists can't say for certain how lightning forms, they can say that lightning temperatures can reach a scorching 54,000 F (30,000 C).

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here: