Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Fact O' The Day  (Read 84454 times)

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: Fact O' The Day
« Reply #1590 on: October 15, 2012, 12:39:46 PM »
I miss mah raptor buddies.

Fact  ;)
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1591 on: October 15, 2012, 12:43:42 PM »
quit workin

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #1592 on: October 15, 2012, 01:26:40 PM »
quit workin

meh, Id miss my paycheck more :lol:  :rofl:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1593 on: October 16, 2012, 10:05:55 AM »
"Strawberries can protect you against alcohol damage."

Consistent alcohol use predisposes us to various health issues, including ulcers and various cancers (between %2 and %4 of cancers are attributed to alcohol). However, new research has indicated that strawberries can help mitigate this damage. European researchers fed rats 0.0014 ounces of a strawberry extract per 0.00003 ounce of body weight, then fed them an alcohol diet designed specifically to damage their stomach tissue, and found that those rats' stomachs were protected compared to those in a control group. Strawberries may even be effective protection against various other kinds of stomach-tissue damage (from viruses, for instance).

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1594 on: October 17, 2012, 07:32:25 AM »
"The world's highest waterfall is Angel Falls in Venezuela."

The world's highest waterfall is Angel Falls in Venezuela, which drops 3,212 feet from brink to base.

The world of waterfalls is not cut-and-dried; experts disagree on the criteria used to determine what constitutes a waterfall. Regardless of the criteria, Angel Falls is the highest. The divisive question becomes how high.

Water plunges 2,648 vertical feet from its crest onto what's called a talus slope (a mix of rocks and debris), before flowing down a 100 foot bedrock cascade to the base. Some consider the initial drop one waterfall, the talus slope another, and the cascade a third.

Nonetheless, that initial plunge is still the tops, 48 feet higher than Hawaii's Waihilau Falls.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1595 on: October 19, 2012, 09:04:48 AM »
"Two million mites live in your bed."

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #1596 on: October 19, 2012, 09:49:19 AM »
"Two million mites live in your bed."

great, now I have more reasons to pick and claw at my skin.  :mad:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1597 on: October 22, 2012, 09:32:09 AM »
"Our opinions of attractiveness are influenced by our peers."

A Harvard study instructed 14 male subjects to rate the attractiveness of 180 women based on photos of their faces. They were shown the series of faces twice, and both times they could see a "peer rating" of the women's attractiveness -- a value picked by the authors of the study, sometimes unduly high and sometimes unduly low. During the second series, the subjects were monitored with fMRI. The second showing revealed that their value judgments weren't influenced by the attractiveness of a face -- they were visibly tied to whether subjects felt they'd been "right" in judging someone attractive or not.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1598 on: October 29, 2012, 07:24:26 AM »
""Ain't" is an 18th-century contraction of "am not.""

Around the turn of the 18th century, a number of the contractions we use today begin to enter the vernacular, such as "won't" and "don't." "Ain't" developed around this time as well, and is believed to have descended from "am not." Although language purists hate the word, it's easy to see how it developed, since constructions involving "I," such as "am I not," are both awkward-sounding and anomalous aspects of the English language.

:sit: Peelz.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #1599 on: October 29, 2012, 08:05:34 AM »
""Ain't" is an 18th-century contraction of "am not.""

Around the turn of the 18th century, a number of the contractions we use today begin to enter the vernacular, such as "won't" and "don't." "Ain't" developed around this time as well, and is believed to have descended from "am not." Although language purists hate the word, it's easy to see how it developed, since constructions involving "I," such as "am I not," are both awkward-sounding and anomalous aspects of the English language.

:sit: Peelz.

regardless of when it was developed, it makes one sound ignorant when used :lol: And....it is used now for more than AM NOT. its used for is not, and are not as well...which makes it confusing. Unless its in music..."i am not" is hard to fit into a hip hop or country song.... so whatever, just randomly change the language that we all hold so dear that we insult all those that do not speak it :lol:

however, that is very interesting.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1600 on: October 29, 2012, 10:06:30 AM »
aint aint aint aint aint taint aint aint aint aint aint aint bitch aint aint aint aint aint aint aint.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #1601 on: October 29, 2012, 10:29:38 AM »
aint aint aint aint aint taint aint aint aint aint aint aint bitch aint aint aint aint aint aint aint.

what did you say about my taint?  :confused:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1602 on: October 29, 2012, 03:10:07 PM »
:lol:

tastes like raisins

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1603 on: October 30, 2012, 09:21:55 AM »
"The term pH stands for Potential of Hydrogen."

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1604 on: October 31, 2012, 09:06:25 AM »
"October is the right month to observe a spike in cases of clinical lycanthropy. "

Clinical lycanthropy is the name of the psychiatric syndrome in which people believe that they turn into wolves or werewolves, one of the more recognizable icons of Halloween. Some researchers think that werewolves -- as well as vampires -- came about on account of a condition known as porphyria. Sufferers lack a certain iron-rich molecule in their blood, leading to light sensitivity, receding gums, and even an allergic reaction to garlic.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here: