Wider rear axle for what?

Started by Ranger, June 29, 2009, 06:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranger

Noticed a few good deals on wider axles on some other sites and was wondering what would it do for me? I don't dune and ride trails primarily and do small jumps...

Peelz

Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Gunz

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Ranger

So if it says 1.5" wider is that overall or on each side?

Krandall

That is over all.

Like if you get a +2 setup in front, you're only adding +1 to each side

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Ranger

So it'd only be 3/4" on each side then...Not so bad, I was worried about increasing my track width cause I ride some really tight trails.

Krandall

when you start getting into tight trails. 2" is a LOT!!!!

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Ranger

Yeah, only reason I'm even considering getting another axle is for if/when the stocker bends or breaks...Otherwise I don't want to increase my track width much cause when I was riding yesterday my back tires came close to hitting some trees as we went through winding paths...The other guy with a Raptor like mine was ahead of me and we only had like maybe 2-3 inches overall of clearance...So a +4 would NOT be good for me, but if I go with just +1.5 on a stronger axle I might be alright, but I plan on getting wider tires too so my options may be limited.

Alkire193

A sturdy rear axle is a decent upgrade but ive beat on my OEM and it never bent, its also been through some amazing wrecks, no bending. Mostly wider +4 axles (cheaper brands ) stand the chance of bending, which is why you dont want to skimp on the price if you find an axle that has good reviews from owners, not manufacturers.

If you are considering spending the money on an axle have you thought about getting one that is +2 or +4 and then swapping axles depending on what youre riding? I was +4 Durablue on the back and +2 +2 Wicked A-arms are the front and ran the GNCC only getting hung up once, but I was off the trail trying to make my own path and got wedged. But the cornering and stability of the +4 inches and lowering of the quad made a machine that handled well and didnt want to roll over as much.

In the end it depends on what you want to ride. But +4 all around and I dont get hung up. But if you just want an extra axle, I got an OEM in a box that you are welcome to buy.

Krandall

Pretty much any axle you get is adjustable from stock to +4 usually. My RPM Dominator is stock to +3 which is REALLY nice to have! (I think it's to +3, may be to +4 now that I think about it.. never measured the spacers on the hub.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Ranger

I was looking at a G-Force axle on RF and based on what the seller says it's a 1.5 to 4" adjustable.

VelociRaptor

Right, I had that axle on mine. I trail rode with the 700 I had and Bamaquad trail rides with his with that axle fully extended without an issue. LTR guys are known to trail ride with thier 50" wide bikes as well.

Out Back Welding

i got spacers in the rear, and noticed a huge diff.

rappy + wider = better   (in my opinion)

Gunz

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

09RappySE

I trail ride and have the g force hubs which add 3.5 " overall and have had no problems clearing anything, it made a huge difference in handling.....but I guess that depends on how wide the trails you ride on are.
734 09 Raptor
Meglodon by Bo,KW springs, Web 4 Cam, 54mm TB, 105.5mm CP cylinder, 12:1 CP,Barkers Inframe,Dynatek Coil,PC V,Dynatek Programable ignition,CCP stabilizer,+5 swinger,Boss Noss, Direct Drive Lock-up, KDS Evac valve,HID conversion,SPAL fan
Tuned by EHS Racing 74hp 52Tq

07 LT-R450
500cc Kit
Porting by Bo
DMC Pro Comp 4
Trinity intake
ATP intake Cam
Tuned by EHS 50hp 34Tq