Auto clutches such as Revloc and EMF and Rekluse

Started by Nick, June 17, 2009, 02:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

So just looking at this product and I've never met someone with one before and thought it sounded cool. My old lady could really use one in her yz125 for trail riding, i know she could concentrate a lot more if she didn't have to think about the clutch. Just wondering what you guys thought of them, Anyone try one before?  
I was reading about the pro clutch , which allows you to shift manually or auto shift. But does the standard version come fully automatic? as in you shift into 1st and go? That's what I thought the web site was saying.
I don't know if they make one for the raptor, it said yfz450 but I couldn't find raptor.

www.rekluse.com

mustangracer42

I've used similar products on some of the custom choppers I've built.  There are a few things I want to point out, I think you have the wrong impression about.  It will not "auto shift" for you.  You will still need to manipulate the transmission through the gears.  It says you can do "clutchless shifting" at low rpms.  You can do that with the bike as it is now. 

Here's the upside to that clutch.  It won't be necessary to shift into neutral or pull the clutch in when you come to a stop.  You can downshift to first and just come to a stop.  It's a centrifugal style clutch that will not stall the bike when you come to a stop and don't pull the clutch in while leaving it in gear.

Make sense?

Peelz

you still have to use the clutch at start and to avoid stall. Autoclutch just disengages for a split sec while you shift.

Engine will still stall if she does not shift right. I don't like them. Personal opinion.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

mustangracer42

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on June 17, 2009, 04:05:09 PM
you still have to use the clutch at start and to avoid stall. Autoclutch just disengages for a split sec while you shift.

Engine will still stall if she does not shift right. I don't like them. Personal opinion.

I haven't used this exact model but I disagree based on the product description and the similar ones I've used in the past.  

Here's how they work:  start engine and get the oil up to operating temp (that's crucial) click it in gear (pulling the clutch in is not necessary), when you're ready to go give it some gas.  If you want a hard take-off, smash the gas like normal.  If you want a smooth take-off, be easier on the throttle application.  It works kinda like the centrifugal clutch on a go-kart with some differences (eg, on a go-kart, the higher the engine revs, the closer the two pulleys of the clutch get to each other changing the groove that the belt rides in and this alters the final drive ratio)

Again, I haven't used this exact model but I've used plenty of them with the exact same design principles.

Nick

on the z start it says" The z-Start Clutch is provided in a fully automatic mode"
so does that mean zero clutch lever being used and normal up /down shifting?

mustangracer42

It's an automatic clutch not an automatic transmission.  You will still have to physically manipulate the shifter to put it in whichever gear you want to use just like now.  The big difference is what I already described but here it is directly from their website.

"The z-Start Clutch is a centrifugal clutch that uses ball bearings to engage the clutch.  The clutch provides a pressure plate with ball ramps. At idle the balls are at the bottom of the ramps and the pressure plate is disengaged.  As the rider increases RPM, the balls move out the ramps, push on the Rekluse top plate and force the pressure plate into the clutch pack engaging the clutch. As RPM's build, the balls continue to move out fully engaging the clutch.  When engine RPM's are reduced the balls drop back down the ramps and the clutch disengages. The take-off is smooth--as if you had perfectly feathered the clutch every time.  The disengagement is quick eliminating any stalls. "

Nick

yeah, i get that part now.

My question now is, there are 2 models, the pro and the regular. On the pro it says you can use the clutch and over ride it. And on the standard it says you have to get a differnt perch to do that. So on the regular would you just get rid of your clutch lever and maybe install a rear brake lever?

Peelz

Quote from: mustangracer42 on June 17, 2009, 04:13:16 PM

I haven't used this exact model but I disagree based on the product description and the similar ones I've used in the past.  

Here's how they work:  start engine and get the oil up to operating temp (that's crucial) click it in gear (pulling the clutch in is not necessary), when you're ready to go give it some gas.  If you want a hard take-off, smash the gas like normal.  If you want a smooth take-off, be easier on the throttle application.  It works kinda like the centrifugal clutch on a go-kart with some differences (eg, on a go-kart, the higher the engine revs, the closer the two pulleys of the clutch get to each other changing the groove that the belt rides in and this alters the final drive ratio)

Again, I haven't used this exact model but I've used plenty of them with the exact same design principles.

right on. Never seen one that does that. Maybe I am thinking of something else. The ones I have seen, are just a switch that actuates briefly, the clutch when you put pressure on the shifter. Cool.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Nick

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on June 17, 2009, 06:21:02 PM

right on. Never seen one that does that. Maybe I am thinking of something else. The ones I have seen, are just a switch that actuates briefly, the clutch when you put pressure on the shifter. Cool.

like the dyno jet quick shifter?

Peelz

Quote from: Nick on June 17, 2009, 07:10:50 PM

Not sure what it was called. Sorry for the confusion.

Nick

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on June 17, 2009, 07:13:11 PM
Quote from: Nick on June 17, 2009, 07:10:50 PM

Not sure what it was called. Sorry for the confusion.

I wanted to get one of those at one point. But I do like the sounds of the z-start for my g/f , but i don't think there is one for the yz125.. I'd like to try it out

downfour

i know 2 people that use Rekluse.. both have yz 450's..   they swear by them..  i have rode one of the bikes and its a little akward at first but is pretty nice once your use to it..  there is no need to have a clutch..  fire it up.. drop in gear and go..  you can however still use the clutch if you want but it really isn't needed..    it really is a pretty sweet setup..    they are quite a bit of $$ but nice to have..

hemix

is there a rekluse set for raptor 700?

it can be nice to have one in trail riding.

downfour

Quote from: hemix on June 20, 2009, 03:23:42 AM

i havn't seen one yet..  its not something i really want to i havn't really looked either..   check their website and give them a call

hemix

Quote from: downfour on June 20, 2009, 11:18:50 AM
Quote from: hemix on June 20, 2009, 03:23:42 AM

i havn't seen one yet..  its not something i really want to i havn't really looked either..   check their website and give them a call

they have only for the YFZ    :mad: