Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Keep fouln plugs...why????  (Read 1776 times)

Offline dgreenbluet

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 3
    • Email
Keep fouln plugs...why????
« on: June 05, 2009, 06:51:27 PM »
Just picked up a 97 kx250 2-stroke for a killer price and i dont know a thing about two strokes.  i have a mixture of 32-1 and i fouled 3 plugs in 5 hours?  i have no idea what to do or what could cause this.  its kinda annoying changen plugs every hour and half on the trail.  the plugs look good just alittle black, can i just clean them up and use them again? 
08 Rapester/734cc 105.5mm Bore/11:1 JE Piston/Big Bore Barkers/FCI wBox/Dynateck Prog. Ign./PCIII/15T Sprocket/Trail Tech Vapor wDash Mount/Moose Nerf, Heel Guards, Race Pegs/Full Skids/Bling Star Victory Bumper/Six Pack Rack

Offline Lady4Fiddy

• Rally Queen
  • Ninjas
  • Street Cred: 20
  • I'm just your average Crazy Ass Woman!
    • Email
Re: Keep fouln plugs...why????
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 06:55:12 PM »
your probably rich.  Two stokes have air jets, vice fuel jets like on a 4 stroke, so you probably need a larger jet
Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me! >:D

Offline dgreenbluet

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 07:06:40 PM »
i know a black plug usually means rich but i figured with the oil/gas mix the plug is gonna get black from the oil....but i dont know a thing about 2 strokes.  i dont know whats all done to the bike but i know it has a hmf head pipe and muffler
08 Rapester/734cc 105.5mm Bore/11:1 JE Piston/Big Bore Barkers/FCI wBox/Dynateck Prog. Ign./PCIII/15T Sprocket/Trail Tech Vapor wDash Mount/Moose Nerf, Heel Guards, Race Pegs/Full Skids/Bling Star Victory Bumper/Six Pack Rack

Offline Lady4Fiddy

• Rally Queen
  • Ninjas
  • Street Cred: 20
  • I'm just your average Crazy Ass Woman!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 07:20:19 PM »
There's an air pilot screw on the left side of the carb, towards the bottom back near the intake boot, try backing it out some
Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me! >:D

Offline dgreenbluet

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 07:22:28 PM »
thats what that is? lol i thought it was idle screw, i was messing with it before we went riding to help it idle better but it didnt seem to make a difference and i remember tighting that thing up pretty good before we went riding......i hope this fixes it, thanks

ps. how with i know how far to back it out?  and how when i know ive backed it out too far? 

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 07:24:21 PM »
trial and error, keep an eye on the plugs.  But you should notice a performance improvement when your getting closer if you were rich before

Offline dgreenbluet

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 07:27:54 PM »
shit performance improvement?  lol this thing is already stupid fast!  thanks for the advice for a sec i thought it was the bike, but i figured user error

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 10:50:34 AM »
My bro is looking @ getting a dirt bike now. (instead of a rappy) I'm really pumped and can't wait until he does so I can ride it!

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Hefe

• SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Testicular Sanitation Personnel
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 07:59:11 PM »
it is also possibly rider error, meaning you gotta clear that bitch out once in a while..
2 strokes need to rev

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 08:02:45 PM »
My roommate has a 250 2-stroke and he changed out the reed valves with some aftermarket ones, then adjusted the jet and he clears the fuel out of the bowl after every ride and hes been on the same plug for a year. But before it was so bad he had to keep a plug wrench and plug in his pocket as he rode.

Offline Diggs59

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 08:07:23 PM »
My bro is looking @ getting a dirt bike now. (instead of a rappy) I'm really pumped and can't wait until he does so I can ride it!

That's what I started out on.....I actually miss it quite a bit too.

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 08:14:52 PM »
I started on two wheels.  Cr 125, CR 250R, and occasionally the CR 500 i was "forbid" to ride ;)

Bikes are too easy, half the weight, twice the suspension and only two tires to have squared for landings.

Quads are way more challenging IMO

Offline dgreenbluet

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 08:22:21 PM »
it is also possibly rider error, meaning you gotta clear that bitch out once in a while..
2 strokes need to rev
yeah the lady at the dealership told me i have to ride the shit outta it, so even when we were in some tight trails i would pull the clutch in and try to clear some of the oil outta the combustion chamber by revving it up