Raptor 660 wiring!!! please help

Started by fordtruckowner76, May 28, 2009, 11:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fordtruckowner76

hi guys

i have a 2005 raptor 660 and i recently grenaded the tranny and had it rebuilt... i just put the engine back in and im having trouble getting the wires back where they go. the main harnesses are simple enough as the plugs only match up to there mate but my problem is the starter wire and and an wire that i cant figure out where it goes! they both come from under the seat and both test hot. the one with the rubber gromet over the terminal is the starter wire im assuming but no combination of wiring setups works. just a click from under the seat and it actually sparks at the starter relay.

any pics/help would be amazing! thank you

Peelz

We might need a pic of the wire to be able to help you.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

fordtruckowner76

the wire with the rubber grommet/cap in my head is obviously the starter wire. the other wire follows back to the negative battery terminal but oddly enough tests hot.  all the plugs seem to be correct and all the other little sensor wires seem to be correct. i dont know what is going on!

Krandall

If you trace that wire around, where does it lead. to me it looks like it should be a wire that's ground. But obviously its hot so.. Don't do that.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Peelz

I wish I still had my 660 to help you out.

I can only think of it being a stator wire?
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Temptation

The one with the rubber boot goes on the nut on the starter and the other wires bolts to the motor case trust me it seems hot but it is giving you a circuit ground i did mine and if ya wanna wait i will get pic tonite of the 2 wires for ya   Just wait till say 9 or 10 tonite and i will take pics where both of them go for ya

fordtruckowner76

Quote from: Temptation on May 29, 2009, 12:07:22 PM
The one with the rubber boot goes on the nut on the starter and the other wires bolts to the motor case trust me it seems hot but it is giving you a circuit ground i did mine and if ya wanna wait i will get pic tonite of the 2 wires for ya   Just wait till say 9 or 10 tonite and i will take pics where both of them go for ya

i think your exactly right. thats how i had it wired up and it still had problems... i have a far out theory. its quite the stretch but im starting to think its the problem...

ive heard that batteries over time with cold weather and abuse can break down and cause the cells to collapse causing a short in the battery. could this be true? that battery wont hold a charge anymore so i jumped it with my truck. its not blowing a fuse but i am getting sparks at the starter solenoid and the terminals themselves. weird but ill have to check it out. im gonna replace the battery today and try again.

fordtruckowner76

Quote from: Krandall on May 29, 2009, 08:52:20 AM
If you trace that wire around, where does it lead. to me it looks like it should be a wire that's ground. But obviously its hot so.. Don't do that.

the wire traces right to the negative terminal on the battery where as the other goes to the starter relay

Temptation

Here ya go, here is the pics I went to a buds and took pics of his 04 which is same thing

Note arrow on 2nd and 3rd pics that is the gold one you need to put on case and the one with the boot goes on the starter

Peelz

+1 karma to Temptation.  :thumbs: Very helpful.

fordtruckowner76

well interestingly enough, its fixed! no real tech to report but all i did was put in the new battery and tighten down the ground... turns out i had it wired correctly but i think either it was a bad ground or a bad battery or some sort of mixture of the two...

its all together and running great! shes tight like the day i brought her home! thank you all for your help!!!

Peelz

right on mano
Welcome to the coolest Raptor site around.

-eric

Temptation