Aligning Paddles

Started by desdak4, May 06, 2009, 07:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desdak4

I have always heard about aligning paddles mostly straight paddles. I am going to be running Haulers for the first time next weekend and the paddles are close to aligned and I would rather not take my nice and tight aftermarket hubs off for a couple of inches.

So, how big of a deal is it? This is just a 5 day trip to St. Anthony's.

Thanks,
Jay
'07 Raptor 700 SE / Monster Duals / PC III / FUEL ATV Intake / AC Pro Pegs / Pro Armor Bumper / Pro Armor Grab Bar / G-Force Spacers / G-Force Hubs / 36 Tooth / T-9 BAJAs w/GNCCs / Flexx Bars / Dr. D Reverse Lever / Full Skids / Pro Armor Kill / Kennys CrankCase Valve and more to come I am sure

Colorado700R

no big deal at all, unless you have perfect track like groomed sand, you'll never notice since on regular sand you will never have pefectly even traction anyway.

desdak4

That is kind of what I was thinkin. I have never ran a straight paddle and wanted to check. They are very closethough.

Thanks,
Jay
'07 Raptor 700 SE / Monster Duals / PC III / FUEL ATV Intake / AC Pro Pegs / Pro Armor Bumper / Pro Armor Grab Bar / G-Force Spacers / G-Force Hubs / 36 Tooth / T-9 BAJAs w/GNCCs / Flexx Bars / Dr. D Reverse Lever / Full Skids / Pro Armor Kill / Kennys CrankCase Valve and more to come I am sure

Warren

Quote from: Colorado700R on May 06, 2009, 07:22:14 PM
no big deal at all, unless you have perfect track like groomed sand, you'll never notice since on regular sand you will never have pefectly even traction anyway.

+1 to what he said. i rotated mine only for the look of having them straight across from each other. but i could notice a difference in drive ability.
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Peelz

I turned mine, no biggie. Forgot to realign when we fixed carrier bearing at dunes. don't care that much...Drag racers might care..
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

NVMYZ28

I notice it only when ridding up REALLY steep loose stuff.... otherwise its only for aesthetics (and I do keep mine aligned - and have to readjust occasionally, they slowly slip =/ )
2006 Blue Raptor 700R
Raptor Displacement Calculator:
http://nvmyz28.com/quads/displacement.html
Raptor Gearing Calculator:
http://nvmyz28.com/quads/700R_Gearing.htm

robkd

I am one of those guys that likes them aligned.   You don't have to move the hubs to align them though.  Best way to align a paddle is to have one of them mounted on the bike and then mount the other wheel with the tire still loose on the bead so you can spin it then align the paddles, inflate til the bead pops on and drive it like you stole it.  I have heard that it can actually rob power from your bike if there off by a lot.(not sure if there is any truth to that but who knows)

Onelunglow

I spent a good hour trying to get mine lined up for my last trip! ::) Then after the first ride they were off again.  :'( Then after every ride I would check them out and see that the tires constantly move on the rim.  ??? So I just leave them alone now and they do what they want... :lol:
06 - White Raptor
04 - Green KFX80
92 - White/Blue Banshee
88 - Lt500 Drag quad (ski-doo - 809 installed)

Colorado700R

let me guess, 8" rims with 21-22" tires?

Krandall

I try to allign mine the same as close as possible, I think of it like the olympic row boat competition. There's a reason why they all paddle @ the same time.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Onelunglow

Quote from: Colorado700R on May 07, 2009, 10:31:26 AM
let me guess, 8" rims with 21-22" tires?

I can't remember but I think they are 21x11x8 with a 7 paddle.....
06 - White Raptor
04 - Green KFX80
92 - White/Blue Banshee
88 - Lt500 Drag quad (ski-doo - 809 installed)

Colorado700R

yeah, mine are 22"x11x8 and the do spin a little.  Big sidewalls on a little rim I guess

desdak4

They are only off enough that if you look across from one paddle to the other you can just see the on the other tire behind the paddle you are looking from. A few inches at best and this is only a 4 day trip that I get to go on maybe every two years. I figure it's fine as my hubs are nice and tight and I do not what to mess with a loose aftermarket hub in the dunes.

Thanks,
Jay

Colorado700R

Quote from: Krandall on May 07, 2009, 11:02:13 AM
I try to allign mine the same as close as possible, I think of it like the olympic row boat competition. There's a reason why they all paddle @ the same time.

Water surface is always relatively level for rowing.  Plus the consitancy of the water is always equal.

Not always true for sand

07lightning

you might notice pulling while riding wheelies if you do that? mine were off and my bike would pull to one side. otherwise i noticed absolutely nothing.