Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Got a ? about Chromoly a-arms  (Read 1744 times)

Offline kdanderson5

• Street Cred: 1
    • Email
Got a ? about Chromoly a-arms
« on: April 22, 2009, 09:21:08 AM »
Are the Chromoly a-arms really any better then stock? I found some on ebay for 240 shipped for the upper left and right and I am wondering if this is worth it? I need a new upper left a-arm stat, so I am wondering if it would be better for me to just buy this set and then swap out both uppers to these.

It says on there that Chromoly is MUCH stronger then the stock a-arms, what i want to know is, is this true? If it is I will probably just order these and be done with it, but if it is not much better then oem, then I will probably just buy an oem upper left that I need.

Any help please and thanks?!

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
Re: Got a ? about Chromoly a-arms
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 10:41:32 AM »
Chromoly is quite a bit stronger than the stock steel a-arms. You'll get a bit additional weight, but it's what People like SLC are building nearly all of their a-arms and swing arms out of. :thumbs:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline kdanderson5

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 01:46:18 PM »
I see I see. Thanks Randy!

So in everyones opinion would I be better off going with the chromoly a-arms since I can get both uppers for less then the price of one oem upper from the dealership? I am thinking this is probably what I will end up doing. Only makes sense right?!

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 02:21:52 PM »
that's the route I'd look into. you'll be better off in the long run. :thumbs:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 03:02:18 PM »
not all chromoly is equal, there have been some issues reported about some (not all) Chinese stock, so be careful, and ask questions when you purchase any chromoloy components

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 04:26:41 PM »
New chromoly uppers = 240
New cheap extended a-arms = 400
Used OEM uppers = variable from 0-$$$

I would hunt ebay for used uppers, or go all out for new a-arms, unless you like the width as is.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 06:26:12 PM »

I would hunt ebay for used uppers, or go all out for new a-arms, unless you like the width as is.

Agree with MD 100%  :thumbs:  Find some used ones for cheap. A wreck like yours, not even the chromoly ones would be OK. Otherwise, go for a good set of aftermarket wider arms.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline kdanderson5

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 06:36:07 PM »
See, I was thinking about going wider, but for one, I feel like I would have to extend the axle also, Two, I just don't have the money to drop 300 bucks on a-arms right now, so I am trying to take the cheapest, but smart route now just so I can at least get back up and riding for now and then drop some money this summer and get that biz fat!

Decisions decisions :lol:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 06:50:40 PM »
See, I was thinking about going wider, but for one, I feel like I would have to extend the axle also, Two, I just don't have the money to drop 300 bucks on a-arms right now, so I am trying to take the cheapest, but smart route now just so I can at least get back up and riding for now and then drop some money this summer and get that biz fat!

Decisions decisions :lol:

do you just need left upper? I replaced mine for $45. Post a wanted thread. Somebody has to have one.

Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline kdanderson5

• Email
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 07:31:14 AM »
Yeah it is just the left upper that bent. My ball joint and everything is ok. I have a wanted ad up but haven't really got anything from it. I have it up on those other sites also and haven't heard anything on them either. Nothing is ever easy for me!  :P

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 12:58:33 PM »

Agree with MD 100%  :thumbs:  Find some used ones for cheap. A wreck like yours, not even the chromoly ones would be OK. Otherwise, go for a good set of aftermarket wider arms.

going against both of you...

Granted going wider is cool, but then you want to upgrade your shocks if you change to wider. or a revalve... a simple $400 conversion isn't the only price :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 05:10:59 PM »

Granted going wider is cool, but then you want to upgrade your shocks if you change to wider. or a revalve... a simple $400 conversion isn't the only price :)

^Brainwashed by sponsors and guys who have $$$ to spend to do everything "right"....;)

I ran +2 arms with OEM shocks in the trails for a year or so and a dune trip.  Sure they were softer, but as long as I kept the tires on the ground there was no bottoming out.  YFZ shocks are a good upgrade in and of themselves for the 660, and work fine on +2 as well.  This would be the minimum upgrade, as 660 OEM shocks can't be rebuilt.  I never had the money to put into summer time suspension, I was always trying to go faster and then to go at all.  Is it as nice as your setup or any aftermarket front shock/a-arm combo?  No, and I'm ok with that for the money I have invested.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 02:33:01 PM »

^Brainwashed by sponsors and guys who have $$$ to spend to do everything "right"....;)

I ran +2 arms with OEM shocks in the trails for a year or so and a dune trip.  Sure they were softer, but as long as I kept the tires on the ground there was no bottoming out.  YFZ shocks are a good upgrade in and of themselves for the 660, and work fine on +2 as well.  This would be the minimum upgrade, as 660 OEM shocks can't be rebuilt.  I never had the money to put into summer time suspension, I was always trying to go faster and then to go at all.  Is it as nice as your setup or any aftermarket front shock/a-arm combo?  No, and I'm ok with that for the money I have invested.

A:  :rofl:

B: Well spoken M-Dizzle.

Offline kdanderson5

• Email
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 02:45:28 PM »
Well I finally found an a-arm. I bought a whole set (looks almost brand new in the pics) for 150 off a guy on rf. so finally this weekend I will get the damn thing fixed!

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 09:30:06 AM »
Well I finally found an a-arm. I bought a whole set (looks almost brand new in the pics) for 150 off a guy on rf. so finally this weekend I will get the damn thing fixed!

8)

sweet.

Make sure to put cotter pins all the way in...Don't ask me how I know. :lol: