Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Help on the trails  (Read 1171 times)

Offline STX Noe

• Street Cred: 0
Help on the trails
« on: March 09, 2009, 09:59:32 PM »
Hi guys, just got word of this forum today. New to this and past 2 weeks I was using raptor forum. Bought a 02 raptor and entered south texas racing, yesterday had my first race ever. Only raptor out there, everyone else was Y450, KTM, etc.. you know the types of bikes I am talking about. Compared to those guys it seemed as if i were riding a Utility ATV jajaja but love raptors, will not change for nothing.

What can I do to be more competitive on hard trails. Not straight ways, those I am ok?

Thanks

Offline P.I.M.P.

Re: Help on the trails
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 10:05:55 PM »
How long have you had it? J think it'll all come in time as far as riding experience. In some ways I think the raptor is better for trails.

Offline STX Noe

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:26:45 PM »
Well I have got to admit. I rode raptors for years back on 01. freakin bike broke a couple of months later, so i never got back to it. I do not have the endurance thos guys have, but still it felt a lot heavier jajaja.

I am sure I will get better with time.  But or those bikes better for very tight trails or is it just my riding?

Thanks

Offline P.I.M.P.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 10:33:05 PM »
I've never raced but have no problem hangin with my buddies that have 450's. In fact after a long day they're bitchin that they're tired and wnat to go home, while I'm getting my second wind

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 10:49:03 PM »
Need suspension ASAP if Racing. Biggest downer about 660. I could not imagine racing my old one on stock.  :help: Maybe motor mods that increase top end. 450's are lighter with revvier engines.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline zacharkins

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 01:10:55 PM »
i agree with peels!    fornt suspension especially is terrible on the 660!          also i would start getting used to shifting faster up and down w/no clutch and without rev limiter mistakes and little mis-shifts.  it sounds dumb but every second counts in a race!

if you have stock tires i would swap them.     

the yfz 450 is so much more stable entering and exiting corners because of the wider stance and lower center of gravity but the 660 has the power and the capability i think if you get used to it more!   you could also try wider control arms and practice your "trails"   as much as possible. i think you could def be competitive w/the 660.

i raced motocross and during races i rarely used the clutch to shift i did however use it a lot on corners,  "clutching" it.     i raced a yz 125 though so i needed that power band.  you shouldnt need to clutch a 660 the same way being its a 4 stroke and has much more power.

man im blabbing...  did that help?     

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 23
  • I'm all out of quotes, take off hoser
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 03:58:18 PM »
Welcome to the site.

Biggest thing to mod first, suspension. You can go cheap and buy som YFZ450 front shocks for $200 or so. You will have to notch them just a tad to make them fit on the 660. If you're going to stick with racing, I would consider long travel a-arms, and a solid extended axle. It makes it a little harder to hit the trails, but this will help your handling quite a bit on the track. You can save a little money, and throw in a high compression pistion and a cam and be able to keep up no problem. I would go up a tooth in the front to give you a little more mid range. This will also help keep the front end down on aggressive launches.

Good luck,

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline STX Noe

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 06:30:46 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys. I have rxr tires, jet kit and yoshi exhaust which is more than enough right now, speed is not my main problem I am not that good just yet. My main problem lies in the suspension, it kills me, when I see the 450 guys bike do all the work versus them. I really feel like a raptor vs a utility quad is a good comparison 450 vs raptor.

SO what do I ned to do to improve on that. I have 2" extenders which I will put both on the front and rear, so How do I prep my stock suspension and what steps should I be taking to improve on it. What should I start buying.

Thanks

Noe

Offline zacharkins

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 08:24:20 AM »
like flyinbyu said look for some yfz shocks  or buy some fox, elka,   etc   shocks   brand new.   there a lot of money though!    about $1k to $2k.        ive been watching ebay,  craigslist and local dealerships for a pair of yfz shocks because i just cant afford the other brands  and ive turned down a couple pair brand new yfz shocks for $200 cause i was tight on money.
  there easy to find
you will see a huge difference with the shock change once you dial it in for your weight!

Offline NaturalRaptor

• Potato King
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 08:56:52 AM »
Welcome to the site Noe! There is a lot of knowledge here so good luck with the racing!   :thumbs:

I agree with what everyone is saying, the 660 is a great bike you just need to put the power evenly to the ground. So I would start with improving the suspension. IMHO

Matt
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.

Offline iluvdirt

• Email
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 11:12:19 AM »
YFZ shocks and +2 a-arms make a HUGE difference.....night and day.
2005 Raptor 660, Red/white
Full LRD Pro4, Dynojet,
Lid off, UNI filter, PowerMadd guards
+2 ASR a-arms, YFZ shocks
Trac Star tires, 50 watt lights
Moose Pro Plate bumper
Tusk nerfs