Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: A question for Vista users  (Read 582 times)

Offline Headrope

• Street Cred: 2
  • All my flavors are guaranteed to satisfy
A question for Vista users
« on: March 09, 2009, 12:07:36 AM »
What exactly is/are the problems with Windows Vista?

I've been holding off on purchasing a new computer because of all the supposed 'problems' I've heard regarding Windows Vista. But the release of Windows 7 keeps getting pushed back, and considering the price of consumer electronics these days (read: very, very low) am thinking of buying a computer anyway.
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

Offline GregKJ

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
  • (insert witty statement here)
Re: A question for Vista users
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 07:47:34 AM »
I've been using it for 2 years, and I don't really have any major complaints.  You'll get a lot of security pop-ups at first, but it really isn't that big of a deal.  IE is maybe a little more unstable than normal too.

If you need a new computer, I wouldn't let the Windows operating system make the decision for you because, like you said, you could be waiting for quite a while longer than you initially expect.

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 08:05:25 AM »
You can buy new computers from NewEgg with windows XP downgrade from the factory. I just got a new 'puter for my parents from there with XP and its working great.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Offline Hefe

• SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Testicular Sanitation Personnel
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 09:59:47 AM »
people that dog vista ... don't use vista..

it is safer, better, and has WAY more cool features than XP..

XP is old... move on people

that "security pop up" is called UAC (User account control) and it can EASILY be shut off
but it is there to help stop viruses and spyware

the biggest problem with vista was driver compatability..
that is all good now

don't just run out to best buy and buy the cheapest PC you find..
it WILL run like shit..
Vista is big, it takes some power to run it well..
put some thought into it

someone mentioned NewEgg
great place to shop for a new PC..

build your own.. buy a Barebones kit.. or a complete machine

either way.. that big box store is NOT the answer
the only thing worse would be Dell!

Offline Lady4Fiddy

• Rally Queen
  • Ninjas
  • Street Cred: 20
  • I'm just your average Crazy Ass Woman!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 11:43:44 AM »
I have Vista, and really no complaints. Most complaints come from those who are not familiar with it, so it is different than the others. The pop up blocker got annoying for a while until I learned how to change it. The only problems I had is when I couldn't figure something out, and the people I asked and got help from were not familiar with vista, but we were still able to solve the problems I was having. It was just a problem getting a program installed on my computer, but was easily fixed.
Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me! >:D

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 12:38:25 PM »
Hefe and Rappy Princess have touched on much of what I think.  I have Vista Ultimate (a waste over the cost of home premium by the way) and have been running it for probably a year or year and a half now.  Home Premium is really the way to go, I didn't see anything in the business version that caught my eye but I would go and compare them none the less.

Two things you should know:

1. Vista service pack 1 took care of a LOT of the problems with vista, service pack 2 has a release candidate out and you should see the final version in the next month or so.  SP2 will include some notable improvements but not really any new features like Windows XP SP2 did.

2. The worst kept secret in the windows world is that Microsoft will be offering free upgrades to Windows 7 with the purchase of a computer that is pre-loaded with Vista.  This is supposed to start in late June/July.  So if you've waited this long IMO it'd be worth waiting a few more months for that.  This way if you like vista you can keep it running, if you don't you can upgrade when Windows 7 comes out in the 4Q of 2009 (estimated).  A note regarding this upgrade offer, they will upgrade you only to the same level of windows, so if you have home premium vista you will get home premium windows 7.

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Street Cred: 15
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 12:40:57 PM »
Mad Dog as spoken, go in peace.

Amen
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 01:37:20 PM »
We have the Vista Premium on our laptop. I have only experienced a couple issues. One, as already stated, is IE is a bit unstable.

second. URL does not show up automatically in lower left window. I got nailed with a coupkle of RIck Rolls. :rofl:

Twice though, I have gotten a progrmming error popup..........and IE starts self-generating windows continuously. By the time I got to it, It had opened 98 Raptor Source windows on it's own. :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Headrope

• Street Cred: 2
  • All my flavors are guaranteed to satisfy
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 01:41:20 PM »
Guess I'll hold off for a couple of months. What I'm planning to do is buy a new CPU (tower) since I've already got everything else. For roughly $400 I'll end up with one hell of a computer.

A question: I use Firefox. Will I be able to with Vista?
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

Offline NaturalRaptor

• Potato King
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 01:56:02 PM »
I run Vista Home Premium and had had no problems. The IE was, as stated, unstable and that is when I began using FireFox. It works quite well and it is really cool when you go to Crazedlist instead of Craigslist.  :thumbs:
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 02:49:03 PM »
Guess I'll hold off for a couple of months. What I'm planning to do is buy a new CPU (tower) since I've already got everything else. For roughly $400 I'll end up with one hell of a computer.

A question: I use Firefox. Will I be able to with Vista?

Yes, no compatibility issues with the 2.x or 3.x versions of FF or with my add-ons.  You can also run safari, opera, chrome, or just about any other browser on vista.

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
  • Street Cred: 6
  • even dodge dealerships wont take a ford on trade
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 03:11:42 PM »
IMHO you need bare minimum 4gb ram to run vista.
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"