If water gets sucked in the engine...

Started by Livingmylife93, March 03, 2009, 07:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Livingmylife93

What is the easiest way to get it running again (trailside) ?

Will it be worse than a carburated engine because of the efi?

dabigbratj

Quote from: Livingmylife93 on March 03, 2009, 07:28:03 PM
What is the easiest way to get it running again (trailside) ?

Will it be worse than a carburated engine because of the efi?

Well wouldn't do anything that makes you think it will happen best way pull the plug drain the oil crank couple time to get some water out put oil in and repeat till water is gone not really easy.thats if you lucky will prolly cause bearings to go sooner and internal wear in the motor i wouldn't risk it not worth it
the Merchant of Miscellanious Merchandise 

:swinger:

Livingmylife93

Understood, im just asking out of curiousity..

desdak4

When my buddy sank his it took six oil changes and three filters to get clean oil again. That is after pulling the plug and draining water there and the pipes. He let the electronics dry for a day or so and it is good to this day. This was a year ago.

Jay
'07 Raptor 700 SE / Monster Duals / PC III / FUEL ATV Intake / AC Pro Pegs / Pro Armor Bumper / Pro Armor Grab Bar / G-Force Spacers / G-Force Hubs / 36 Tooth / T-9 BAJAs w/GNCCs / Flexx Bars / Dr. D Reverse Lever / Full Skids / Pro Armor Kill / Kennys CrankCase Valve and more to come I am sure

monster757

Pull out the spark plug and get my ex girlfriend to blow into the exhaust  :thumbs:

But honestly, your main concern should be water prevention ;)

Peelz

if you drive through water high enough to be in the motor, you will probably need a tractor, or a boat to get you out, because you will be floatin' brutha!   :lol:  I am serious, I rode in a creek up to top of front tires, wasn't moving anymore.  :lol:

Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

mustangracer42

The MOST important thing you should do is pull the sparkplug and stand the bike on end to get the water out of the pipe and some out of the cylinder. Then drain the oil, then turn the motor over by hand to get the rest of the water out of the cylinder.  Flush several times with fresh oil and it'll be fine.
The most important thing trailside to do is pull that plug and get the water out of the cylinder BEFORE you try to start it.  If you even think there's water in there, pull the plug and get it out.  If you are unsure and decide" ah f--- it, I'll try it"  You can hydraulic the motor.  Essentially, you are trying to compress the same amount of water in the cylinder as you do air ( water doesn't really compress), so you will likely bend the wristpin and or connecting rod.

bustedplastic

Pulling the plug is very very important, but if you do get water in your engine, the oil is shot.  Or at least it was after I pulled water in.  It ended up looking like chocolate milk, and had pretty much the same consistancy.  I have sucked water in numerous times, and just had to rebuild my motor probably because of it.  On the bright side of things i have found out the raptor actually kind of floats in higher water, which makes it really easy to pull out of a hole  :P.

As far as the EFI goes,  I had a line of sludge in the bottom of my throttle body, from sitting in the water, so it had to be cleaned, but other than that, it was fine....

Krandall

In my honest opinion. Watched my cousin do it... and I would not recommend it.. He sunk his sled, we tipped it up on end with the plugs pulled. pulled it over. got all the water out of the cylinders, drained the bowls and fired it up. On the rappy... I'd do nearly the same thing. Except you don't have to worry about the floats.

My friend sunk his LTR I posted a vid of it last night (going to get the thread up about it later this eve)
We towed it back to my house, tore it apart drained the oil (had lots of water in the crank) checke the gas tank, but no water got inside. I would HIGHLY recommend not starting the quad trail side. I'd make sure there's no water in the crank. had the LTR running the next day

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

mustangracer42

Quote from: Krandall on March 04, 2009, 12:37:30 PM
I would HIGHLY recommend not starting the quad trail side. I'd make sure there's no water in the crank. had the LTR running the next day

I totally agree with Krandall, but since he asked what to do trailside,  that's why I answered it that way.  The only way I could see myself running it again with just pulling the plug and getting that water out of the cylinder is if I'm waaaaay out in some remote area by myself (which is a dumb idea in and of itself) and needed to get home.  I would do it knowing that I'm buying a rebuild immediately and may not even make it all the way home.

abc312_98

also some people I know that big utility quads use sea foam after getting dunked some even keep it on the quads check it out
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpConsumer.htm