Yet another round of "Guess that number"

Started by preddy08, February 20, 2009, 08:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

How did it do Shawn?  I took mine out and flogged it yesterday, ran strong but the damn head gasket didn't fix it's self.  I figured if I let it sit long enough it would.  The clutch is hard to pull when you're drag racing with the heavy duty springs and lockup in there.

preddy08

Well. I put a couple Ozs of tranny fluid to clean out the injector, ran some VP110 unleaded, and took it for a ride with the map my guy came up with. Ran like shit. took it back to the truck and loaded a map DL700 sent me, took it for a ride and BAM!!!!!!!!! Thhis thing runs 95% of what it should. Has a slight mis at low RPMs, and seems to run a tad hot, but it runs freekin HARD!!!!!!!!! First headed for the drag strip and won one race and headed back and bliped the gas to do a wheelie and it came up INSTANTLY in 4th gear and got launched off. F'ed up the graphis kit, kill switch, stem, and grab bar, But oh well...lol. Did the drag race thing at the beginning of the day and at the end of the day and if anything it got faster as the day went on. The smoke is 97% gone, typical gapless ring decel smoke.

Now I'm trying to decide on what to do about the dyno guy. He cahrged me 100 bucks to put a tune that makes it run like shit!
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

socalrappy700

QuoteNow I'm trying to decide on what to do about the dyno guy. He cahrged me 100 bucks to put a tune that makes it run like shit!

Kick his ass Sea Bass.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

preddy08

Quote from: Socalrappy700 on February 23, 2009, 11:13:04 AM
QuoteNow I'm trying to decide on what to do about the dyno guy. He cahrged me 100 bucks to put a tune that makes it run like shit!

Kick his ass Sea Bass.

I kinda want to hard ass him, but hes such a nice guy.

socalrappy700

Quote from: preddy08 on February 23, 2009, 11:16:50 AM

Kick his ass Sea Bass.

Say you're sorry after the beat down.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

tonto13

Sounds like you had the same results with your local dyno that I had with mine. Mine was just real fat on the bottom. Running gapless rings also. I had the same results after DL700 tweaked my map. Glad to hear that it runs hard.
MSAWS= My Sh*t Always Works Sometimes!
"99% of life is what you make of it, so if your life sucks, YOU SUCK!!!"
-Mike Muir (aka Tonto)

Troy

LOL, I'm glad you and the bike are OK, that power can sneak up on ya for sure.  That's great that the bike is running hard and life is good.  As far as the dyno guy goes I'd just tell him straight up he fucked you over and if he isn't willing to do anything about it you'll let everyone you know how you got screwed and who screwed you.  A good reputation takes a long time to get and longer to keep, bad word travels very very fast.  I'd let him choose how he wants to handle it.

DL700

.... BUY a dyno and tune it yourself  :nana:

j/k..... but i would try to learn a bit of tuning technique if u can , rent the dyno for a few hrs and play with it
CUERVO RACING

Kenny

Quote from: preddy08 on February 23, 2009, 11:16:50 AM

Kick his ass Sea Bass.

He is a guy running a dyno..... There is no way he wanted to give you a bad tune, even if that is how it turned out. He has started to rely on the A/F readings too much. It just got overwhelming trying to make info that was contradictory make sense. Take your bike back to him and share your findings in the nicest way you can, and let his own curiosity start his new learning curve. It is these experiences that will turn him into a first class tuner. Act like it is some info you just lucked across....... Let him know he is still the best dyno guy you have. Making him feel dumb will most certainly be a stumbling block in his learning curve. Treat him as you would want to be treated...... You will probably need him in the future, and it's in your best interest to help him be the best he can be while maintaining a good relationship. $100 dyno runs are hard to come across.....

As far as the rings go, that "Quickseat" powder is designed to seal rings very quickly. It is Molybdenum disulphide powder that will burnish into the cylinder wall and be a permanent dry film lubricant. It has no abrasive effects at all, it just builds up in the crosshatch and acts as though the cylinder walls have been finished super smooth, but is self sacrificing at the same time..... Good stuff. The Total seal rings will just get better and better as you ride. They are hands down the best you can use. The reason they smoke is because there is very little tension on all the phases the engine goes through, except compression, where they will use combustion pressure to seal tightly. Simply the best :)
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154
Paypal: kenny@swva.net

:satan:

preddy08

Thanks Kenny, very wise words. I will try the nice route. I have a feeling that he'll simply say "huh, that weird" and leave it at that.

I was also wondering if that dry film is SOOOO slippery how can it make the rings seat faster?

socalrappy700

if he says that then can you kick his ass?
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Kenny

Quote from: preddy08 on February 24, 2009, 08:42:00 AM
Thanks Kenny, very wise words. I will try the nice route. I have a feeling that he'll simply say "huh, that weird" and leave it at that.

I was also wondering if that dry film is SOOOO slippery how can it make the rings seat faster?
Hopefully it will sink in, even though he says that. The way you told me he has a different sniffer for each fuel type leads me to believe that he may be more concerned than he is letting on.....Even if he isn't, don't spend a bunch of negative energy when you could be out teaching kids to read, or somethin' cool like that. It's good for the soul :grin_nod:

Breaking in rings involves WAAAY more dynamics than a person would picture in his mind. Of course there are the peaks and valleys of the machine work. The peaks will have to wear down smooth while making a wear pattern that kinda locks the rings into their position, the valleys hold oil film to lubricate the skirt and rings as well as carrying away some heat. Every pore and crevice takes away from ring seal and the moly will help to fill these while leaving enough peaks to create an acceptable wear pattern, at the same time, moly is a very slick permanent dry film lube that burnishes in, and will withstand about 350,000 psi without damage. Meanwhile the rings will be "bedding" in the ring groove as well. I actually use a plateau finish that knocks most of the highest spots off the crosshatch. Very smooth finish. There is quite a bit of power in proper ring and cylinder wall prep. :thumbs:
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154

preddy08

I'll have to take it back to him one of these days and tell him I upgraded to the new AV port design. :rofl:

When I told him its has gapless rings he nodded his head, and said "yup yup" with a total blank stair on his face. He has no idea what those are.

Kenny

Hell with it.... Go kick his ass then read to some kids :rofl:
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154

preddy08

Quote from: Kenny on February 24, 2009, 03:20:35 PM
Hell with it.... Go kick his ass then read to some kids :rofl:

Finally called him. I was nice and to the point. I told him that I used another map form some one ele and it ran almost spot on, and I ran the bike for a day and it quite smoking. He followed that up with "yea I've talked to a couple of guys that run those rings and they all say that it takes in upwards of 1500-2000 miles to break them in". I find that quite funny, because he quoted Total seals website...lol.

He did offer to try to re-tune it free of charge!