Tire Size

Started by Oilfield_Mafia, February 07, 2009, 06:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oilfield_Mafia

How much difference does having 20" tall tires on the back make as opposed to 18" tires? I was out messing with the Raptor this evening, and noticed that my rear Maxxis RZR's are 18's! Sheesh no wonder 1st gear is useless.. :lol:  When I replace them, would I be better off with 20" tires?

Thoughts on this?
Member #1 of Team Prick - GTFOMW

Horsepower is like a condom, I'd rather have it and not need it.. Than need it and not have it.

wastednuts

fire raptor

Clearance, Clarance? you were wandering about skids. With tires that low you have very little ground clearance. Go bigger.

Oilfield_Mafia

Thats kinda what I was thinking.. with 2" more tire, I would have about another inch of clearance.. I cant figure out why someone would drop down to 18's here.. I mean, that lowers your gearing so to speak.. I really like these rzrs too.. I think my next set will be the same .. except in a 20" :lol:

Member #1 of Team Prick - GTFOMW

Horsepower is like a condom, I'd rather have it and not need it.. Than need it and not have it.

throttlesteer

Quote from: Oilfield_Mafia on February 07, 2009, 06:45:00 PM
Thats kinda what I was thinking.. with 2" more tire, I would have about another inch of clearance.. I cant figure out why someone would drop down to 18's here.. I mean, that lowers your gearing so to speak.. I really like these rzrs too.. I think my next set will be the same .. except in a 20" :lol:

EDIT: Unneccessary post  ??? I tried to explain the clearance difference between tires before I saw your post.
BA Performance
throttlesteer: Owner/Mechanic/Parts
Annie:  Co-Owner
dabigbratj:  Quad Mechanic/Parts

Peelz

18" tires work well for the track, low profile, little flex. Clearance unneccessary. go with 20"....21"Holeshot GNCC. Or even 22" maxxis razr2. Just make sure your front tire is bigger, or no smaller than the front, or it looks goofy like a Blaster with knobbies. The maxxis tires work well, very cushy ride, but they don't slide well. Personally, I prefer stock size.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

fire raptor

I am running 22 rears and 23 fronts. Gives me 5 1/2" clearance on the swinger. Ride desert with lots of ruts and big rocks,some beach with hidden big rocks. Not very worried about cornering.

Peelz

Quote from: fire raptor on February 07, 2009, 11:01:52 PM
I am running 22 rears and 23 fronts. Gives me 5 1/2" clearance on the swinger. Ride desert with lots of ruts and big rocks,some beach with hidden big rocks. Not very worried about cornering.

if I was around rocks, I would have them for sure. They make Quads ride like buttah.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Danny T

smaller tires make the quad more stable, less tippy, easier to corner. Personally i have Razr 2's 20in i love them but one day i decided to put more brothers holeshot 18in on and i loved how it felt but hated how it looked. SO TINY. and my trails have lots of rocks so i like the clearance. no bigger than 20 imo my best friend has 22 and it feels too high, i always feel like im gonna tip on a semi tight turn.

Bert

18" tires are like having a 13 tooth sprocket on front lowering top speed 5 mph
22" tires would be like having a 15 T on front and increasing top speed by 5 mph

In the winter I have 23" fronts & 22.5" rears and use wheel spacers to widen the quad.  It feels stable again so all is well