Is a stock 660 better than a stock 700?

Started by Headrope, January 19, 2009, 02:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peelz

Quote from: Flynbyu on January 26, 2009, 07:53:58 AM
I haven't noticed any vibration on the 660. The 700's I've rode seem to lack in the lower end, but gain in the top end. When my neighbor had a 700, I could pull him through four gears, but he would catch me mid fourth and pass me. I'm also 25 lbs heavier than he is.

~Brian

No one has a 660 in the same condition as yours :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Flynbyu

There might be another 2003 out there with super low hours on it. I bet my bike has less than 150 hours on it.

:lol:

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Headrope

Do I have this right: The 660's first gear is about where the 700's second is, so by putting a 15T front sprocket on my 700 I'd be close to the low-end grunt of a 660 but will still have the legs of the 700 to maintain it's top-end superiority?

If anyone has a link to another thread that explains things better I'd appreciate seeing it. I've used the search function but found so many threads and most all seemed to derail before getting to the point.
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

Peelz

Quote from: Headrope on January 26, 2009, 02:02:27 PM
I would like to get a bit more low-end grunt out of my 700 since most of my riding is in the woods. Do I have this right: The 660's first gear is about where the 700's second is, so by putting a 15T front sprocket on my 700 I'd be close?

If anyone has a link to another thread that explains it better I'd appreciate seeing it. I've used the search function but found so many threads and most all seemed to derail before getting to the point.

I didn't notice the gearing between 2nd on 700 and 1st on 660 being the same. Close maybe, it is more of a power delivery thing. You could try a 13 tooth sprocket. That would give you a lower gear, but you would be shifting more. It would make for better wheelies though. ??? 15 tooth will give you more top end. Stock is 14.

Search 700 sprocket or 15 tooth
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Headrope

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on January 26, 2009, 02:10:00 PM
I would like to get a bit more low-end grunt out of my 700 since most of my riding is in the woods. Do I have this right: The 660's first gear is about where the 700's second is, so by putting a 15T front sprocket on my 700 I'd be close?

If anyone has a link to another thread that explains it better I'd appreciate seeing it. I've used the search function but found so many threads and most all seemed to derail before getting to the point.

I didn't notice the gearing between 2nd on 700 and 1st on 660 being the same. Close maybe, it is more of a power delivery thing. You could try a 13 tooth sprocket. That would give you a lower gear, but you would be shifting more. It would make for better wheelies though. ??? 15 tooth will give you more top end. Stock is 14.

... seems I'm looking for a 13 1/2 tooth then  :grin_nod:

I'll keep doing some diggin. I'm not trying to create a wheelie machine (I'm a technical rider, not a stunter) but would like to have more of the instant on power delivery with the 700. Hell, with first on the 700 as low as it is maybe I just need more aggressive tires.

Thanks for y'alls help.
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

Flynbyu

The 660's front is too low in my opinion.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Peelz

Quote from: Flynbyu on January 26, 2009, 02:20:57 PM
The 660's front is too low in my opinion.

~Brian

yep, I had the broken grab bars to prove it LOL

Krandall

Good call on the tires. I know I noticed a huge difference changing from my YFZ tires to my XCR rears. the hookup difference was night and day. :thumbs:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Colorado700R

Quote from: Headrope on January 26, 2009, 02:18:48 PM

I'll keep doing some diggin. I'm not trying to create a wheelie machine (I'm a technical rider, not a stunter) but would like to have more of the instant on power delivery with the 700. Hell, with first on the 700 as low as it is maybe I just need more aggressive tires.

Thanks for y'alls help.

if you put on an aftermarket intake, and FI controller, the bottom end of the 700 will stomp the 660.  Way, way choked up stock.

Peelz

Quote from: Colorado700R on January 26, 2009, 02:29:29 PM

Thanks for y'alls help.

if you put on an aftermarket intake, and FI controller, the bottom end of the 700 will stomp the 660.  Way, way choked up stock.

It is funny, you can feel the power in there, but you can almost hear the exhaust cutting it off. :lol:

Colorado700R

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on January 26, 2009, 02:42:25 PM

Thanks for y'alls help.

It is funny, you can feel the power in there, but you can almost hear the exhaust cutting it off. :lol:

honestly the exhaust is more of a highend limiter (it really doesn't flow to bad for stock),  the major punch will be the intake......you'll see  :thumbs:

Peelz

Quote from: Colorado700R on January 26, 2009, 02:43:52 PM
Quote from: PeelsSE2 on January 26, 2009, 02:42:25 PM

Thanks for y'alls help.

honestly the exhaust is more of a highend limiter (it really doesn't flow to bad for stock),  the major punch will be the intake......you'll see  :thumbs:

Just meant overall you can tell. Can't wait to see. Hell, I can't wait to really ride it stock...

Colorado700R

FYI, for you guys with the SE's or black rims in general....a Black sharpie will hide dings, till you can touch them up later  :thumbs:

FoundArealQuad

I was pretty disappointed in the low end of the machine on Sunday. My Outlaw had a lot more power throughout. I know it is choked up because I have ridden Bert's and another friends of mine and also got stomped on the drag strip a few times by a few Raptors. The stock tires are also horrible because the are so round.
DMC Force 4s, PCIII, Mod Quad Intake, Flexx Bars, Alba Nerfs with Pro Pegs, Rox +2 adjustable risers, CCP, EHS airbox cover

Peelz

Quote from: Colorado700R on January 26, 2009, 02:52:29 PM
FYI, for you guys with the SE's or black rims in general....a Black sharpie will hide dings, till you can touch them up later  :thumbs:

Aaron sounds like he is gunning for my "cheapest motherf**ker alive" status. :lol:

But really, great idea.