Is a stock 660 better than a stock 700?

Started by Headrope, January 19, 2009, 02:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

I agree with everyone's answers so far.  I had an 05 660 and switched in 06 when the 700 came out.  It felt way too plush until I adjusted the suspension and that helped a ton.  For wheelies and all around comfort with way less fatigue after riding I had a machinist whip me up a 4" bar riser, similar to a snowmobile bar riser, problem solved.  I get on 660's all the time and they are still great machines but I wouldn't trade back for anything.

theprofessional

i dont know why your 700 wont pull the wheels off the ground when you hit the gas, if i gunned mine all the way i would end up on my ass  :batman:
07 Raptor 700R
Pro Armor A-Arm Guards
Pro Armor Swingarm Skid Plate
Pro Armor Engine Skid Plate
GYTR Exhaust
PCIII
MSR Handlebars
AC Bumper
AC Rear Grab Bar

exentix

never rode a 660, but i do know they are wheelie machines, and i have rode a 700, stock at first, then big three, and after the 6 mod. i will say that it is not even half as hast stock as it is even with the big three, its a world of difference, the 700 is pretty corked up stock. just needs a little push thats all. and as far as the sitting down wheelies, i did one at about 45 mph with the 6 mod 700r, no problem.

VelociRaptor

Thats why you like the 660, the center of gravity is higher and that means its not only more tipsy to the side but to the rear too- meaning easier wheelies. Ive rode em all and the 660 wheelies easier but has a smaller balance point and in so not as easy to carry the front as long once up. Riding styles will play a part in which Raptor someone likes the most so I take the 700 because of the handling.

Colorado700R

Quote from: theprofessional on January 21, 2009, 07:45:05 PM
i dont know why your 700 wont pull the wheels off the ground when you hit the gas, if i gunned mine all the way i would end up on my ass  :batman:

Traction, suspension set-up, rider's postion.....all these things can have a massive effect on the ability to wheelie.  Also if your in a higher alt. like me you don't have all the available HP, like the lowlanders

Aaron

Krandall

We like to be called Flat Landers.... Not Low Landers. :thumbs:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Colorado700R

Quote from: Krandall on January 22, 2009, 12:55:47 PM

Easter Colorado is extremely flat, but still 5000' above sea-level, so you're a low lander  :P

Flynbyu

The 660 has a lot more torque than the 700 out of the box. I can easily power mine up through the first three gears by just hitting the gas.

If you're seeking a wheelie machine, drop a tooth on the front sprocket.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Peelz

Quote from: Colorado700R on January 22, 2009, 12:57:13 PM

Easter Colorado is extremely flat, but still 5000' above sea-level, so you're a low lander  :P

then WTF are you? Crap-lander? :lol:  Land is about as flat as you can get here. lol
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Colorado700R

Quote from: Peels660 on January 22, 2009, 01:46:11 PM
Quote from: Colorado700R on January 22, 2009, 12:57:13 PM

then WTF are you? Crap-lander? :lol:  Land is about as flat as you can get here. lol

Highlander- "there can be only one"

Followed shortly by "Suck it Trebek" head lopped off  :rofl:

fastraptor

Check this out I like the look of cut plastic better on the 660?I think the 660s have alot of potential also and the fact that you can pick em up cheap meens you can spend more on duals axel and swinger as well as some elkas and then you got something  :clap: :clap:
2006 Raptor 700r
Monster Duals
Skat Trak Haulers 8 paddle smooth buff fronts
Monster flow intake  Monster Box Fuel Controller
UMI Handlebars  Twist Throttle

Peelz

Okie dokie. Opinion is now formed with new 700 purchase.

The short answer to the question is NO.

I am even comparing a stock 07 700 to my three mod 660.

660 does have way more low end torque, but runs out of juice quicker in the mid/high range. I assume a cam might give the 660 the edge.. The 700's power comes on smoother and a little bit later but builds up to a higher top end. The 660 had a low/midrange hit that could be unnerving (but fun) at times. Wheelies take a bit more throttle with stock 700, but can be done longer without shifting.
Can't wait to see how it is when I can afford to let it breathe a little.

Seems that 700 took everything about the 660 and made it better.  Not feeling tippy is the big thing. Oh...and no carbs :lol:

-Eric
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Krandall

Another thing I thought of my neighbor said when he tried my 700 out was, when you get on the 700 and get up and go.. it's smooth. (cadi style) where the 660 he said felt like it was going to scramble your brains from vibrating so much from the motor. Not sure if this is machine specific or not. ???

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Peelz

Quote from: Krandall on January 26, 2009, 07:49:48 AM
Another thing I thought of my neighbor said when he tried my 700 out was, when you get on the 700 and get up and go.. it's smooth. (cadi style) where the 660 he said felt like it was going to scramble your brains from vibrating so much from the motor. Not sure if this is machine specific or not. ???

yep, same thing here.

Flynbyu

I haven't noticed any vibration on the 660. The 700's I've rode seem to lack in the lower end, but gain in the top end. When my neighbor had a 700, I could pull him through four gears, but he would catch me mid fourth and pass me. I'm also 25 lbs heavier than he is.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum