Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: wear items - OEM or aftermarket?  (Read 726 times)

Offline disco

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 9
wear items - OEM or aftermarket?
« on: January 09, 2009, 03:27:51 AM »
Specifically, ball joints and tie rods.  I've replaced all four ball joints (RM ATV) on a Big Bear after one of them just completely separated.  All had torn boots and were lubed with lots of mud.  Last weekend I lost a tie rod end so now I'm going to replace all four of those.  What should I go with?  Bike Bandit has OEM for about $11 a pop.  RM is $27/pair.  Any other alternatives?  I'm thinking OEM and just replace them every few years.  I think Japan builds a better rod end than China.  IDK.  What's everybody else doing for stuff like that?

And Dennis Kirk?  Sheesh... you need a Sherpa to navigate that website.

Oh yeah, I need to post up a pic of my zip-tie tie-rod fix that allowed me to keep wheeling for a few more hours.  I used a cinch tie down strap to hold the tie rod together long enough to get back to the truck where I "fixed it" with zip ties.
mostly stock with a 12t sprocket of fury

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
Re: wear items - OEM or aftermarket?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 09:48:46 AM »
I don't think there's any reason to replace tie-rods every few years. replace em when they get bent, that's about the most you'd need. ???

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline disco

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 9
Re: wear items - OEM or aftermarket?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 01:51:06 PM »
Sorry, tie rod end.  It completely separated *clink* and fell apart. 
mostly stock with a 12t sprocket of fury