Re: Off Topic Bullsh*t Thread Volume XIX

Started by Flynbyu, December 17, 2008, 10:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flynbyu

2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Peelz

Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

socalrappy700

07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Krandall

Quote from: Peels660 on December 23, 2008, 11:01:58 AM
Quote from: Krandall on December 23, 2008, 10:56:39 AM
I always have time for nerd talk.  :lol:

:lol:

Wife wants a laptop. Dell Inspiron. WHat should my concerns be? Will be used primarily for surfing, email, and Raptorsource no big storage type stuff. I know there are concerns with vista, but no choice in the matter there. Intel Celeron D still an OK processor?  That is what is in my PC, but should I opt for more? The price difference is not that bad. And wireless card. THis will be new territory for me. Any big red flags I should look for?

GRacias-Eric

Honestly, I'd opt for more.. The first thing is to really figure out what you want to spend and go from there...
the Celeron is the low end single core processor in the Intel Family.. If you are running Vista (which you have no choice, as you can't buy a new PC/Laptop from anywhere w/ XP installed on it anymore) I'd suggest running a smaller dual core proccessor. you'll notice a huge speed difference. Since it's going to be just an average computer. nothin fancy. I'd suggest somewhere around a 1.7-1.9 Ghz Dual Core Processor a BARE minimum of 1Gig of ram. I'd reccomend 2 (vista is a hog).

I think all laptops come w/ built in wireless now. so that shouldn't be an issue. As long as it supports G band wireless you'll be set.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Krandall

Quote from: Socalrappy700 on December 23, 2008, 11:09:14 AM
I'm not a big fan of the dell laptops.

I'd take a Dell over a gateway anyday. IMO.

go sit in your corner now Apple boy. :lol:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

socalrappy700

Quote from: Krandall on December 23, 2008, 11:11:17 AM
Quote from: Socalrappy700 on December 23, 2008, 11:09:14 AM
I'm not a big fan of the dell laptops.

I'd take a Dell over a gateway anyday. IMO.

go sit in your corner now Apple boy. :lol:

Agreed.  I can't stand the gateway.  But I've had good luck with my toshiba.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Flynbyu

Brandy has a Vaio laptop, and I have a Vaio PC.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Krandall

Toshiba makes nice laptops :)

Samsung just put out their own line finally! HD 8)

freakin bad ass

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

socalrappy700

I'll give samsung time to work the bugs out.  I would stick with the toshiba or sony.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Peelz

Quote from: Krandall on December 23, 2008, 11:10:30 AM
Quote from: Peels660 on December 23, 2008, 11:01:58 AM
Quote from: Krandall on December 23, 2008, 10:56:39 AM
I always have time for nerd talk.  :lol:

:lol:

Wife wants a laptop. Dell Inspiron. WHat should my concerns be? Will be used primarily for surfing, email, and Raptorsource no big storage type stuff. I know there are concerns with vista, but no choice in the matter there. Intel Celeron D still an OK processor?  That is what is in my PC, but should I opt for more? The price difference is not that bad. And wireless card. THis will be new territory for me. Any big red flags I should look for?

GRacias-Eric

Honestly, I'd opt for more.. The first thing is to really figure out what you want to spend and go from there...
the Celeron is the low end single core processor in the Intel Family.. If you are running Vista (which you have no choice, as you can't buy a new PC/Laptop from anywhere w/ XP installed on it anymore) I'd suggest running a smaller dual core proccessor. you'll notice a huge speed difference. Since it's going to be just an average computer. nothin fancy. I'd suggest somewhere around a 1.7-1.9 Ghz Dual Core Processor a BARE minimum of 1Gig of ram. I'd reccomend 2 (vista is a hog).

I think all laptops come w/ built in wireless now. so that shouldn't be an issue. As long as it supports G band wireless you'll be set.

N wireless OK? It is backwards compatible, right? It is built in, but you can opt for others to be installed. And I was bugging the local nerds here they said the same thing about vista being a hog.

Probably will opt for the dual core processor just because. Our pc at home with the celeron is a bit slow when you get to working on a lot at once. Like making motivational posters.;)  Froze up with photobucket and the source open at the same time. :lol:

Thanks Randy.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

who else but rk

the sonys are nice but so expensive. krandall i remember when i was younger that they were developing a sony labtop that could play ps2 games and you could use a controller. was this ever made?
2008 KTM 250xc-f
pumpkin lover

Krandall

Quote from: who else but rk on December 23, 2008, 11:40:28 AM
the sonys are nice but so expensive. krandall i remember when i was younger that they were developing a sony labtop that could play ps2 games and you could use a controller. was this ever made?

Not that I'm aware of.. Possibly though..

N-Wireless is okay I guess... Just make sure they support G/B wireless as that's whats primarily available.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

exentix

my mom just got the dell mini laptop, and i got a compaq, not sure what kind tho

Peelz

Krandall, looks like we will order today "inspiron 1525. With upgraded processor, upgrade to 3g memory, upgrade to vista premium, and a Linksys router...  $700 I believe. Plus, Nichole found out target corporate gets discount from direct dell purchases.  8)

Thanks for the help....

Karma, karma karma karma karma chameleon. :lol:

Krandall

Quote from: Peels660 on December 23, 2008, 02:35:52 PM
Krandall, looks like we will order today "inspiron 1525. With upgraded processor, upgrade to 3g memory, upgrade to vista premium, and a Linksys router...  $700 I believe. Plus, Nichole found out target corporate gets discount from direct dell purchases.  8)

Thanks for the help....

Karma, karma karma karma karma chameleon. :lol:

That's a steal of a deal. :thumbs: Glad I could help, and thank you sir for the Karma. 8)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here: