Need opinions (or facts) about the GYTR Engine Skid

Started by Diggs59, December 02, 2008, 06:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diggs59

As the title states, just looking for anyones input on these good or bad and also looking for the best place to purchase from should I decide to buy them? If at all possible I like to help out our sponsors.....So speak up if you know a sponsor who does :thumbs:

Warren

i would assume any aftermarket skid is better then the stock peice. i can't see why the GYTR skid wouldn't suit your needs. maybe steve and the tech quad shop could help you out. i know he sells skids but i don't know about GYTR skids.
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Diggs59

Didn't see them on Steve's site.....I checked before hand. I pretty much wanted to get as many pro's and con's before I made a decision. Other Skids are not out of the question as long as they have an access hole for the drain plug...I'm interested in the Tag Metals Glider Skid (polyurethane construction) as well but I've never heard any feedback about them or even know of anyone who has had one?

socalrappy700

I've had one on my quad for almost two years and no problems so far.  I've beat the hell out of it and last time I stood my quad up it looked fine. 
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Diggs59

Bert

Quote from: Diggs59 on December 02, 2008, 07:02:29 PM
I'm interested in the Tag Metals Glider Skid (polyurethane construction) as well but I've never heard any feedback about them or even know of anyone who has had one?
I ride on rocky trails & had bad luck with the Tag Railer skid. I tore off a rear mount.  I personally wouldn't buy another one.

Diggs59

Quote from: Bert on December 03, 2008, 12:31:53 PM
Quote from: Diggs59 on December 02, 2008, 07:02:29 PM
I'm interested in the Tag Metals Glider Skid (polyurethane construction) as well but I've never heard any feedback about them or even know of anyone who has had one?
I ride on rocky trails & had bad luck with the Tag Railer skid. I tore off a rear mount.  I personally wouldn't buy another one.

Thanks Bert, it looks like the Railer is eliminated. I've gotten great feedback on the GYTR...No complaints yet.

jwraptor

I had a gytr on my 660 based and worked great with no problems and we ride in boulder conditions.

YamahaRaptor0206

I have GYTR engine skids on both my 700 and 660, they have held up great and i would buy them again. They also bolt up prefect seeing how they are yamaha. The swing arm skids i go with armadillo from rockymountainatv.com .250 thick, also been bashed like hell and held up prefect.
My buddy has a banshee with a DG engine skid and has lost 3 out of the 6 mounts and he also has a PRM .250 swing arm skid and it has bent.

Headrope

The only negatives with GYT-R engine/frame skidplates I've run across is on the first run of them - the oil drain hole was in the wrong spot. That has long since been resolved though, to my understanding.

Every now and then you might bust one of the j-hook clamps. Not a problem with GYT-R as the skid is bolted on as well as clamped, but some dealerships/shops are stingy when it comes to offering replacement j-hooks. I went to three different dealers and none would help me -BUT- A call to Yamaha's 1-800 customer service number took care of it. It shipped me replacement bolts and clamps within three days at no charge. Not sure if that's what they do for everyone, but it impressed the hell out of me.

I don't know if any sponsors are selling GYT-R parts, but Yamahasportsplaza.com offers GYT-R and aftermarket parts for at least 25 percent off; OEM parts for 30 percent off and usually ship within a week.

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/catalogs/detail/26/205/405/20736/1/0/0/1/1/98/2677/50709/engineframe-skid-plate.aspx

Yamaha Engine/Frame Skid Plate
Brushed aluminum finish, 0.16" thick. Side guards to reduce intrusion from foreign objects. Covers complete lower frame tubes.

Buy on-line today from South Seattle Sports Plaza

Manufactured By: Yamaha
Fits '06-'09 Raptor 700R
Item: GYT-1S334-00-AL    
Usually Ships In:
2-5 Business Days
MSRP:     $127.95
Our Price:     $95.96

Something else to think about is buying them used. Every now and then I run across deals on Craigslist. They aren't pretty, but realistically if you're going to be riding forest trails or going over rocks they are going to get scratched to hell on the underside anyway. Just a thought.

Good luck on your choice.
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

Bert

Quote from: YamahaRaptor0206 on December 08, 2008, 11:22:39 PM

My buddy has a banshee with a DG engine skid and has lost 3 out of the 6 mounts and he also has a PRM .250 swing arm skid and it has bent.
I just wanted to add my PRM swinger skid has held up very well on my 700  :thumbs:

Diggs59

Quote from: YamahaRaptor0206 on December 08, 2008, 11:22:39 PM
I have GYTR engine skids on both my 700 and 660, they have held up great and i would buy them again. They also bolt up prefect seeing how they are yamaha. The swing arm skids i go with armadillo from rockymountainatv.com .250 thick, also been bashed like hell and held up prefect.

Have to agree with the Armadillo..Great Skid, has held up great.

Diggs59

Quote from: Headrope on December 08, 2008, 11:57:23 PM
The only negatives with GYT-R engine/frame skidplates I've run across is on the first run of them - the oil drain hole was in the wrong spot. That has long since been resolved though, to my understanding.

Every now and then you might bust one of the j-hook clamps. Not a problem with GYT-R as the skid is bolted on as well as clamped, but some dealerships/shops are stingy when it comes to offering replacement j-hooks. I went to three different dealers and none would help me -BUT- A call to Yamaha's 1-800 customer service number took care of it. It shipped me replacement bolts and clamps within three days at no charge. Not sure if that's what they do for everyone, but it impressed the hell out of me.

I don't know if any sponsors are selling GYT-R parts, but Yamahasportsplaza.com offers GYT-R and aftermarket parts for at least 25 percent off; OEM parts for 30 percent off and usually ship within a week.

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/catalogs/detail/26/205/405/20736/1/0/0/1/1/98/2677/50709/engineframe-skid-plate.aspx

Yamaha Engine/Frame Skid Plate
Brushed aluminum finish, 0.16" thick. Side guards to reduce intrusion from foreign objects. Covers complete lower frame tubes.

Buy on-line today from South Seattle Sports Plaza

Manufactured By: Yamaha
Fits '06-'09 Raptor 700R
Item: GYT-1S334-00-AL    
Usually Ships In:
2-5 Business Days
MSRP:     $127.95
Our Price:     $95.96

Something else to think about is buying them used. Every now and then I run across deals on Craigslist. They aren't pretty, but realistically if you're going to be riding forest trails or going over rocks they are going to get scratched to hell on the underside anyway. Just a thought.

Good luck on your choice.

Thanks Bert... another guy linked me to that site as well. I'm definitely going to get it from there. Can't beat that price. :thumbs:

Livingmylife93

Great skid plate. I have one on mine, i lost the bolt all the way in the front though and this was the out come of riding a day w/o that bolt.

BRAD

I got the ROCK series Skids on my Rappy and they have held up great plus I have less the $100 in the motor and swingarm skid together.  for the price you can't beat them. and you can find them at Motosport.com i think
2007 GYTR Raptor
ROCK series skids
Yoshimura RS7
Motoworks Fuel programmer-(Dobeck Style)
Holeshot HD tires