Stroker Crank???

Started by gr8ride4u2luv, November 29, 2008, 02:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8ride4u2luv

I currently have my motors top end tore apart. Awaiting the arrival of Bo's port and polished head, new piston and cam. Would it be worth putting in a stroker crank in at this point? Is it hard or should it be paid to get done. It seems like alot of work having to split the case and take tranny gears out? Any answer would be much appreciated. I would rather spend the money now while its this far into the project.
Barker In-Frame Duals
CP 11:1
Corrected Deck Height Cylinder
Hot Cam Stage III
KW HD Springs
Track Port & Polish by BO
+3 Throttle Body
Pro Design Intake w/ K&N
PCIII
Dynatek Prog. Ignition W/ Custom Curves
KDS Evac Valve
15T Front Sprocket
GNCC 22x7x10 Fronts
GNCC 21x11x9 Rears
Skat Trak Edge 22x11x10 Rear Paddles
TM Designworks Case Saver
TM Designworks Magnetic Oil Drain Plug
P

Colorado700R

If your going to do it, now is the time since you already got allot apart :thumbs:

socalrappy700

I've heard its not an easy one to do.  I wouldn't mess with it unless its something you feel comfortable with.

07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Troy

It's a time consuming job, I just did another one yesterday.  It went way faster for me the second time around but it still takes some time and patience.  Not a real tuff job to do, just time consuming and you will need to pay attention to all of the little details.

socalrappy700

Quote from: troywcc on November 29, 2008, 05:46:43 PM
It's a time consuming job, I just did another one yesterday.  It went way faster for me the second time around but it still takes some time and patience.  Not a real tuff job to do, just time consuming and you will need to pay attention to all of the little details.

Troy, since you've become quite the master of putting in these +5 cranks do you think you could ever do a write up with pictures?  It would be nice to see how its done.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Smiley

Personally, it depends on how comfortable you are with your mechanical skills.  As mentioned earlier, it is a huge job and you will need a good clean bench to lay out your parts.

I did my own and had no prior experience with a Raptor motor.  I do however have extensive automotive and street bike experience.

NOTE:  IMO, the BEST upgrade I have ever done to the Raptor was putting the stroker kit in.

socalrappy700

Quote from: Smiley on November 30, 2008, 08:00:18 AM
Personally, it depends on how comfortable you are with your mechanical skills.  As mentioned earlier, it is a huge job and you will need a good clean bench to lay out your parts.

I did my own and had no prior experience with a Raptor motor.  I do however have extensive automotive and street bike experience.

NOTE:  IMO, the BEST upgrade I have ever done to the Raptor was putting the stroker kit in.

So where do you live?  My engine is in the garage waiting for you.

:lol:
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Troy

A good work bench is a must to get this done faster.  I went out and bought the crank splitter tool and the stator puller tool and a nice stainless work table that rolls around the garage for this second time around.  Another nice thing to have is the really big zip lock baggies.  I put everything from the left side of the engine in one and everything from the right side in another one.  I also use little ziplock bags for the smaller stuff that I want to keep the bolts straight like the oil pump, water pump, crank gears, counterbalancer gears, etc.  This will save a ton of room as all of your bagged up parts can hang on the wall until you're ready for them, and when you are you will use everything in the bag and not worry if you are missing something.  It also makes the job seem alot easier doing it one bag at a time.  I love my new work bench, I keep all of my tools in the bottom and roll it to the bike and everything I need is within reach, that alone saves a couple of hours on a job like this.  Next time I do one I'll take pics of everything and do a good write up on it.  I don't know if everyone should do this project but I do know that these stroker cranks are the way to go, way worth the time to put it in and in the case of these little plus 5 Hotrod cranks, they are way worth the money too.  Time will tell if they are reliable as the more expensive units.  I will tell you guys they are nicer than a stock unit so they should be fine.

russ-russ

I just finished putting a stroker crank in the wife's Z400.  It took me forever, not because it was hard, but because I'm a lazy procrastinator.  I managed to do it without the splitter tool, but the flywheel puller is a must.  As was already mentioned, the workbench is a necessity, I used two benches as I had two motors apart and didn't want to mix the parts (one motor was a donor for the broken case on the "good" motor).  You definitely need to be pretty mechanical to handle a job like this.  If you don't have a big box full of tools, I wouldn't really recommend trying this as a first big project.  Don't even think about it without the full shop manual.

Troy

You used a shop manual?   :confused:

Smiley

Quote from: Socalrappy700 on November 30, 2008, 08:05:04 AM
Quote from: Smiley on November 30, 2008, 08:00:18 AM

So where do you live?  My engine is in the garage waiting for you.

:lol:

OK, do you need me to bring my wife down to keep you out of my hair while I install the crank?

Troy

Hell yeah!  You can start installing mine from here on out :clap:

fastraptor

Go for it!!! The experence will do you good,YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :clap:   :thumbs:
2006 Raptor 700r
Monster Duals
Skat Trak Haulers 8 paddle smooth buff fronts
Monster flow intake  Monster Box Fuel Controller
UMI Handlebars  Twist Throttle

SANDMAN

Installing a stroker Is like losing your virginity.As long as It wasn't her.

Troy

DAMN!  It would take one hellova stroker crank to get that one moving :confused: