Any Business Owners in Here?

Started by Danny T, November 08, 2008, 04:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny T

Just wondering how you small business owners got started and where you stand now.

My Family has been into

Pagers 1st
Then cellular when it became available
We now have 5 Cell phone stores but business is extreamly slow especially since there are more stores popping up left and right and less customers buying do the the horrible economy (especially in michigan).

So for all my life ive been around this and really only see my future in owning some type of business and never working for someone unless its just to learn what im going to be selling!

Please give your experiences and knowledge!

Caliraptor

well i went to mexico, talked to girls about doin some modeling, after the trip to LA they started working makin big $ and makin men happy :lol:
Skipping class and tapping ass

powder coater

I started a Construction ( Metal Fabrication/ Powder Coating business) about 4 years ago. We have had up and downs all along. Of course this is typical for construction but we had done well over all. Its looking pretty skinny for winter on the day to day work but we have a number of larger government projects lined up so all and all we should be good for a while. Our guys may have a day off here and there but no long term lay offs yet. I have definitely had to get more aggressive on the types of jobs I go after, basically anything that pays.
Jason for Presedent !

EVL LS1

rough time to start something right now but u can do it

fire raptor

Just because you may like model trains does not mean all people like model trains. Look for a demand and the strive to meet that demand. What I was refering to is too many new business,s are formed by the hobbies or likes of the person starting that business rather than the demand or potential for selling or marketing the product or service. Quality of service and honesty will spread by word of mouth and referrals. I have seen products and services offered on this web site that would have been very successful but due to honesty and poor customer service they are doomed to failure. PS I am not reffering to any of our site sponsers. They all seem to know the importance of customer service. Just my .02

kyledvor61

grandpa started screw machine business in 1987. just about ran it into the ground my dad bought it from him and told him to get the FERK out a few years ago, and just celebrated our 20th anniversery last year. have about 60 screw machines and a few cnc's and 7 rotary transfers.

making this currently... http://www.percyshp.com/splitlock_page.htm

Peelz

Quote from: kyledvor61 on November 10, 2008, 02:40:59 PM
grandpa started screw machine business in 1987. just about ran it into the ground my dad bought it from him and told him to get the F :mad:  ck out a few years ago, and just celebrated our 20th anniversery last year. have about 60 screw machines and a few cnc's and 7 rotary transfers.

making this currently... http://www.percyshp.com/splitlock_page.htm

nice Kyle..family first! :lol:  but...GTFO gramps! :rofl:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Flynbyu

Kyle's family business.....Telling granpa to GTFOML since 1987.

:rofl:

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

kyledvor61

Quote from: Flynbyu on November 10, 2008, 03:24:18 PM

~Brian
word. when the business moved a few years ago my dad stuck a sign in the lawn saying thanks to the town for supporting us all these years, and at the very bottom in 1/4 inch tall letters it said "now FERK off!" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Flynbyu

2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

kyledvor61

Quote from: Flynbyu on November 10, 2008, 03:43:36 PM
No way!

:lol:

~Brian
oh yea it was awesome. signs hanging in the new building and a few people saw it and just laughed :rofl: :rofl:

my dad also keeps his harley in his office over the winter too :grin_nod:

Peelz

Quote from: kyledvor61 on November 10, 2008, 03:41:55 PM
Quote from: Flynbyu on November 10, 2008, 03:24:18 PM

~Brian
word. when the business moved a few years ago my dad stuck a sign in the lawn saying thanks to the town for supporting us all these years, and at the very bottom in 1/4 inch tall letters it said "now F :mad:  ck off!" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nice down-home spirit there douche! :lol:  Kyles company "gtfoml inc." screw machines.  We can screw ya' just as good as the next guy! so GTFOML! :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Flynbyu

As for the topic if the thread, starting a business is tough, especially if you're lacking CAPITAL.

The key is finding the niche on something in your area that lacks or doesn't offer and exploit it. Under promise and over deliver.

It takes a lot of work, more than you think.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Peelz

Quote from: Flynbyu on November 10, 2008, 04:03:13 PM
As for the topic if the thread, starting a business is tough, especially if you're lacking CAPITAL.

The key is finding the niche on something in your area that lacks or doesn't offer and exploit it. Under promise and over deliver.

It takes a lot of work, more than you think.

~Brian

+1 I was part of  start-up once, I was then the victim of a startup. Somebody else started doing the same thing the same monthe and undercut us.  Auto Detailing, gold plating, touch up, windshield repair, pinstriping.

Lady4Fiddy

I once started a construction company,  built log homes.

I ran a Massage Therapy business out of my home.

And I have started various other businesses, but the thing for me is I get so bored doing the same business all the time, that I end up finding something else to do. I am actually very successful. Then I just move on to the next interesting idea, and go with that till I get bored. I guess I just haven't found the right business to keep my interest, or maybe I wasn't meant to run my own business, lol.
Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me! >:D