Tire size versus gears

Started by Kingwood Raptor, November 07, 2008, 05:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peelz

Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Danny T

Quote from: Peels660 on November 07, 2008, 06:30:47 PM
try this: put your #'s in and see what the difference in speed is versus stock, smaller higher gears. This one is stickied at R.F. maybe we should here?

http://www.dansmc.com/mc_software1.htm

wait..not quite what I was looking for. Try it and see, I will keep looking, I want to look into changing mine as well.

What does it mean when it says primary gear?

Colorado700R

I know I saw one built in an excel spreedsheet on RF once.  Might need to recruit MD to help out here  :help:

Peelz

Quote from: dmx434343 on November 07, 2008, 06:38:39 PM
Quote from: Peels660 on November 07, 2008, 06:30:47 PM
try this: put your #'s in and see what the difference in speed is versus stock, smaller higher gears. This one is stickied at R.F. maybe we should here?

http://www.dansmc.com/mc_software1.htm

wait..not quite what I was looking for. Try it and see, I will keep looking, I want to look into changing mine as well.

What does it mean when it says primary gear?

Gearing ratio before transmission. Not sure how to use it....
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Danny T

Quote from: Colorado700R on November 07, 2008, 06:40:37 PM
I know I saw one built in an excel spreedsheet on RF once.  Might need to recruit MD to help out here  :help:
i just searched and couldnt find that excel sheet there

Peelz

I wish I could find one like the one I posted...but for a 700. This one is cool!

Quote from: Peels660 on November 07, 2008, 06:35:53 PM
crap, I can only find one for 660 (good for me) :lol:

http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/raptor02.htm

Kingwood Raptor

I agree, i wish i could find one for the 700 too...lol So 15/36 is most likely my best start..
Monster duals
PC111
Velocity Intake
K&N (Large Filter)
Outerwares
ITP C Series Type 6
ITP Holeshot MX6/MX4
G-Force +4 Axle

Colorado700R

Quote from: Kingwood Raptor on November 07, 2008, 06:59:43 PM
I agree, i wish i could find one for the 700 too...lol So 15/36 is most likely my best start..

I think so  :thumbs:

Kingwood Raptor

Thanks again for everyones support.
Monster duals
PC111
Velocity Intake
K&N (Large Filter)
Outerwares
ITP C Series Type 6
ITP Holeshot MX6/MX4
G-Force +4 Axle

Kingwood Raptor

BTW.. My stock gears are 14/38
Monster duals
PC111
Velocity Intake
K&N (Large Filter)
Outerwares
ITP C Series Type 6
ITP Holeshot MX6/MX4
G-Force +4 Axle

Mad Dog

The link posted earlier works and came from here, just verify the ratios are correct:

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42365

If you're serious about dirt drags and it's not hardpack you may want to research ohtsu pro wedge II or maxxis 4snow tires, probably in a 22x11-8 size on .125 wheels.

Danny T

what are we supposed to put in the RPM field?

Mad Dog

Quote from: dmx434343 on November 08, 2008, 09:26:11 AM

Well it defaults to 8k, which I"m assuming is the peak rpm of most of these things in top gear but I could be mistaken.  If you're looking to figure out how many mph you gain or lose my switching a gear it doesn't matter since all you're looking for is the differential.  But if you want to know exactly how fast you'll go my guess is that the 8k rpm that puts you at 81mph in top gear is probably generous for a 700R with the speed limiter disabled.

But I would imagine someone more knowledgeable than I will be along to tell you the max rpm for a 700R.  A good resource might be dyno tests of a similarly modified machine.

Peelz

Quote from: Mad Dog on November 08, 2008, 09:40:14 AM
Quote from: dmx434343 on November 08, 2008, 09:26:11 AM

Well it defaults to 8k, which I"m assuming is the peak rpm of most of these things in top gear but I could be mistaken.  If you're looking to figure out how many mph you gain or lose my switching a gear it doesn't matter since all you're looking for is the differential.  But if you want to know exactly how fast you'll go my guess is that the 8k rpm that puts you at 81mph in top gear is probably generous for a 700R with the speed limiter disabled.

But I would imagine someone more knowledgeable than I will be along to tell you the max rpm for a 700R.  A good resource might be dyno tests of a similarly modified machine.

I just use it for relative speeds in each gear, I don't care what it is exactly, I just want to see the amount of change when I enter different numbers. So you can see how much effect changing each sprocket or tires has.