need advice on engine mod order

Started by davetheslave, November 07, 2008, 11:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davetheslave

So I just traded my LTR with a guy for a raptor 700  :clap: 
Im new to raptors, so I just want to know what the best order for doing the popular mods would be.  It already has a GYTR intake, and PCIII.  I know duals are my next item to get.  I'm planning on doing cam, TB bore, piston, P&P, and a stroker crank.  And it's going to be a work in progress, so I'm wondering in what order should I do these mods to get the best benefit if I'm doing these one at a time.   

Colorado700R

Quote from: davetheslave on November 07, 2008, 11:23:13 AM
So I just traded my LTR with a guy for a raptor 700  :clap: 
Im new to raptors, so I just want to know what the best order for doing the popular mods would be.  It already has a GYTR intake, and PCIII.  I know duals are my next item to get.  I'm planning on doing cam, TB bore, piston, P&P, and a stroker crank.  And it's going to be a work in progress, so I'm wondering in what order should I do these mods to get the best benefit if I'm doing these one at a time.   

IMO, I would get you exhaust. then Cam, then during the off season do the P&P, piston and stroker all at once (Since you got to take it all the way down anyway.)  The TB can be anytime.

The only Caveat I have to my suggestion is that if you install a cam before your stroker build, you may end up getting a diffrent cam when your completely done.

Aaron

PS Welcome aboard  :thumbs:

Peelz

+1 on Colorado's advice.

and +1 on your screen name. Welcome to the site.

What year is the rappy? Might sneak new front suspension in there before major motor mods. :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

davetheslave

It's an 06.  It already has Hauser +2 a arms, and elkas up front.  So it motor mod time!  thanks for the input

Peelz

Quote from: davetheslave on November 07, 2008, 11:42:58 AM
It's an 06.  It already has Hauser +2 a arms, and elkas up front.  So it motor mod time!  thanks for the input

nice! :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Flynbyu

Sounds almost like a turnkey bike.

Congrats on the new wheels and welcome aboard!

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

davetheslave

Quote from: Flynbyu on November 07, 2008, 11:48:12 AM

~Brian
Pretty much lol.  I just need to get it to be faster than my buddies.  I just put a 12.5:1 and HC2 in his and that made a huge difference!  Seems like every mod you do to these is good for 3+ HP

Flynbyu

Quote from: davetheslave on November 07, 2008, 01:11:35 PM

~Brian
Pretty much lol.  I just need to get it to be faster than my buddies.  I just put a 12.5:1 and HC2 in his and that made a huge difference!  Seems like every mod you do to these is good for 3+ HP

A cheap mod, that will give you a little more top end is a 15 tooth front sprocket. $25 bucks at the most.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Colorado700R

Quote from: Flynbyu on November 07, 2008, 01:13:17 PM
Quote from: davetheslave on November 07, 2008, 01:11:35 PM

~Brian

A cheap mod, that will give you a little more top end is a 15 tooth front sprocket. $25 bucks at the most.

~Brian

+1, but IMO it's more than just more top end.  It makes the lower gears more usuable in tight areas too.  The 15T is a very good mod for trail riding  :thumbs:

Tim Barker

I would recommend trying this combination.
Dual exhaust( barkers)
bored throttle body(kds)
11:1 stock bore piston (barkers) 
CNC ported head (barkers)
our designed cam (barkers)

This will give you low to mid 70s on pump gas if you need more then go into the bottom end.

Barkers Performance
www.barkersexhaust.com

Colorado700R

Quote from: tbarker on November 07, 2008, 07:30:18 PM
Dual exhaust( barkers)
bored throttle body(kds)

This will give you low to mid 70s on pump gas if you need more then go into the bottom end.

I'm noticing you like the Barker's brand  ???

Great combo  :thumbs:

Tim Barker

Barkers Performance
www.barkersexhaust.com

Buck

Cheap, Fast, Reliable. unfortunately you can only have 2 at the same time

Krandall

Dual exhaust( barkers)
bored throttle body(kds)

Tim, are you able to CNC off an already ported head? ???

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

russ-russ

Quote from: Krandall on November 08, 2008, 09:22:03 AM
Dual exhaust( barkers)
bored throttle body(kds)

Tim, are you able to CNC off an already ported head? ???

There should be no issues doing CNC porting on top of existing porting. 

But I would think you could do a swap plus cash with someone who has a stock head and make everyone happy.  Someone gets a good deal on a Bo ported head, and you get a stock head for Tim to work his magic on.  Win-win. :clap: