Swingarms / Mods

Started by Kingwood Raptor, October 21, 2008, 07:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingwood Raptor

I am wanting to purchase a swingarm and not really sure what length to use. Is there a calculation for the length versus mods? What is the best setup? Will my stock shock work with the extened swingarm? I would like to also add the stage3 with my current mods. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Paul
Monster duals
PC111
Velocity Intake
K&N (Large Filter)
Outerwares
ITP C Series Type 6
ITP Holeshot MX6/MX4
G-Force +4 Axle

sweet

It all depends on what kind of riding you do. I had the big 3 with a cam and have a +6 swingarm. I do sand drags and street drags. I could never seem to have a good holeshot with the +6 and factory shock. You will just have to play with your gearing and go from there. What kinda riding you do?

Krandall

Like sweet said.. It really boils down to 2 thigns.. How much power you have/want.. And what kind of riding you'll be doing.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Kingwood Raptor

I do alot of drag racing and some trail riding. I do not know how much HP i will be getting after adding the stage3. I know there is not much more i can modify without cracking open the head. Should I consider having it put on a dyno? I was thinking about a +4 swingarm. But not sure if it will be enough.
Monster duals
PC111
Velocity Intake
K&N (Large Filter)
Outerwares
ITP C Series Type 6
ITP Holeshot MX6/MX4
G-Force +4 Axle

Krandall

The mods I have are.. 727, Stage 2 cam. Ported and polished head. and a +2 was plenty.  :batman:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

wobble

+2 is plenty for my build as well (build in sig).

In general, the longer the swingarm, the more it hurts you in trails. But you want a long enough swingarm for good launches when racing. You will have to compromise one or the other. I ride 75% trail and 25% dunes. If I had to do it again, I'd still do a +2.

Gunz

Quote from: wobble on October 21, 2008, 08:35:51 PM
+2 is plenty for my build as well (build in sig).

In general, the longer the swingarm, the more it hurts you in trails. But you want a long enough swingarm for good launches when racing. You will have to compromise one or the other. I ride 75% trail and 25% dunes. If I had to do it again, I'd still do a +2.

Thanks Wobble, thats the advice Ive been looking for, for about a month now. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Sandeater

With riding trails I wouldn't want more than a 4.  I ride sand only and have a +4  with extremes and love it.  Can still bring the front end up if I want.  I launch out of the hole second gear wide open on the rev limiter when racing without the front end coming up.  Mine is a stock stroke/bore with x2, P&P, CP 14:1, etc  Probably somewhere around 62-65 hp @ 5k elevation.  If you go towards the 75-80hp you would have a hard time keeping the front end down with a +4 or 6.

Theshee has a +2 T-dub arm in the for sale section.  Check it out
My Sand Only Queen
Currently being rebuilt
2006 RE 778
Slingshot Lockup
+6 SLC Ladder Swingarm
Paint by JK Customs

Troy

yeah and it's a smokin deal for the price and comes with what you need to make it work. :thumbs:

jwraptor

I have a +10, stock shocks and lowered and still can't keep the front tires on the ground. 

Kingwood Raptor

Thanks for all the help, I am leaning towards a +4 so it leaves room for other mods. How difficult is it to install the stage3 cam. What else needs to be purchased with the cam IE; valves, springs ect?
Monster duals
PC111
Velocity Intake
K&N (Large Filter)
Outerwares
ITP C Series Type 6
ITP Holeshot MX6/MX4
G-Force +4 Axle

Colorado700R

According to HotCams now springs are not required unless you get a timing controller like the Dynatek.  I would play it safe and replace the springs while your in there anyway.

Aaron

Onelunglow

Have you looked into a bored throttle body by KDS Racing?  :thumbs:
06 - White Raptor
04 - Green KFX80
92 - White/Blue Banshee
88 - Lt500 Drag quad (ski-doo - 809 installed)

wobble

Quote from: Colorado700R on October 22, 2008, 09:38:38 AM
According to HotCams now springs are required unless you get a timing controller like the Dynatek.

Aaron

That's a change from what they said when they first released it. Although it makes sense to me. Out of curiosity, where did ya get this info?

Colorado700R

Quote from: Colorado700R on October 22, 2008, 09:38:38 AM
According to HotCams now springs are not required unless you get a timing controller like the Dynatek.  I would play it safe and replace the springs while your in there anyway.

Aaron

Fixed, good catch wobble, I missed an important word  :rofl: