Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: 2009 Dodge Ram  (Read 3432 times)

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 23
  • I'm all out of quotes, take off hoser
Re: 2009 Dodge Ram
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2008, 02:42:18 PM »
hey is it true the new ram's have a 4 link rear suspension? a guy i work with said that.

5 link with coil suspension.

It rides VERY good. It rides twice as good as last year's model.

~Brian

great just what we need another 3/4 truck on the market  :rolleyes:

What the hell does everyone need a 1-ton in 1/2 ton clothing for?  The vast majority of the trucks on the road rarely leave the highway, what's the point of a 1/2 ton truck that tows 10k pounds?  I think Dodge went the right way and you're stuck in the "bigger is better" mentality :moon:

Still looks like a ford though. :grin_nod:

My statement is about a car like ride.  I like my truck to feel like a truck.  If i wanted a car's ride i would buy ridgeline  O0

The 2009 Ram does ride ten times better, but it's still a truck. It's much improved over the previous series in ride quality.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2008, 02:50:18 PM »
hey is it true the new ram's have a 4 link rear suspension? a guy i work with said that.

~Brian

What the hell does everyone need a 1-ton in 1/2 ton clothing for?  The vast majority of the trucks on the road rarely leave the highway, what's the point of a 1/2 ton truck that tows 10k pounds?  I think Dodge went the right way and you're stuck in the "bigger is better" mentality :moon:

big trucks need to feel sexy too. ;) :grin_nod:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2008, 03:08:18 PM »
You can get a longer bed, but only 2500 or 3500 series applications.

~Brian

I'm looking at the dodge web page, says I can get a 5'7" bed crew cab w/ or w/o rambox, 6'4" bed with a quad cab or regular cab, or 8' box with a regular cab.

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 03:13:40 PM »

~Brian

My statement is about a car like ride.  I like my truck to feel like a truck.  If i wanted a car's ride i would buy ridgeline  O0

So you want vague steering and a bumpy, juttery ride that is unstable at highway speeds?  You want excessive body roll and an ass end that breaks loose at the slightest touch of throttle?  There's a heck of a long way to go between a half ton pickup and a car, heck the ridgeline is on a van platform (not a car's) and isn't exactly smooth as silk.

You referred to it as a 3/4 truck, indicating that you didn't feel it was "truck enough".  I don't consider better on-road manners a bad thing, especially since few of us do off roading that a ridgeline couldn't handle.  There is the TRX version, but it's not hardcore enough to be an offroader.  Get a powerwagon if you want a mean, beefy dodge truck.

I heard there wasn't going to be a new version of the power wagon, or at least it was on hold.

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 03:16:24 PM »
Quad cab comes in 6'4'' box, regular cab has the 6'4'' and 8' box, and the new crew has the 5'6'' box.

We have the new crew in stock only.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2008, 03:18:28 PM »
I grew up with 60's and 70's trucks.  It's what I learned to drive in.  Maybe it's nostalgic, but I want a truck to feel that way. (although, I'll pass on a resurrection of the three on the tree  :lol: )

everything is just softer and gentler is this screwed up world.  Leave my Pick-up alone  :mad:

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2008, 03:24:09 PM »
But you can get a longer box than the 5'7" in a 1500, you just need to get the smaller 4 door cab (quad vs crew) right?

Kind of like the old models where you get the shorter cab and longer bed as standard and if you want the bigger cab you have to give up some bed space to keep the wheelbase the same and keep costs down, instead of having to do an expensive 2500 series scale down with a mega cab and call it a 1500 mega like they did with the last generation.  I see the downside of not being able to have the bigger back seat with a bigger bed though.

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2008, 03:27:01 PM »
I grew up with 60's and 70's trucks.  It's what I learned to drive in.  Maybe it's nostalgic, but I want a truck to feel that way. (although, I'll pass on a resurrection of the three on the tree  :lol: )

everything is just softer and gentler is this screwed up world.  Leave my Pick-up alone  :mad:

Well you're talking to a guy who drives them everyday for work, mostly on the highway and often through the city.  I grew up in late 70's GM blazers and pickups, and 80's fords.  Nostalgia is a great idea, but it quickly loses it's luster when you have to live with those archaic chassis everyday.

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2008, 03:30:06 PM »
But you can get a longer box than the 5'7" in a 1500, you just need to get the smaller 4 door cab (quad vs crew) right?

Kind of like the old models where you get the shorter cab and longer bed as standard and if you want the bigger cab you have to give up some bed space to keep the wheelbase the same and keep costs down, instead of having to do an expensive 2500 series scale down with a mega cab and call it a 1500 mega like they did with the last generation.  I see the downside of not being able to have the bigger back seat with a bigger bed though.

Correct.

Dodge is really pushing this shorter bed. The first 15 we get are the short bed.

One is a $42,000 4x2. Our dealer is really happy about Dodge cramming that up our ass.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2008, 03:30:21 PM »

Well you're talking to a guy who drives them everyday for work, mostly on the highway and often through the city.  I grew up in late 70's GM blazers and pickups, and 80's fords.  Nostalgia is a great idea, but it quickly loses it's luster when you have to live with those archaic chassis everyday.

Understood, but there's also a safety issue that goes ignored by most who drive the modern trucks.  The more you make them drive and ride like a car, the more people will treat them that way and not respect the fact that a 6200 lbs vehicle will not stop or turn like a car.  I think the SUV accident statistics are a fairly good indication of that problem.

Aaron

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2008, 03:43:21 PM »

Understood, but there's also a safety issue that goes ignored by most who drive the modern trucks.  The more you make them drive and ride like a car, the more people will treat them that way and not respect the fact that a 6200 lbs vehicle will not stop or turn like a car.  I think the SUV accident statistics are a fairly good indication of that problem.

Aaron

well put. :thumbs:

case in point: I have a neighbor like 5'1" drives the big ford diesel. I start reciting the lords prayer when I see him coming. :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2008, 04:09:07 PM »

Aaron

well put. :thumbs:

case in point: I have a neighbor like 5'1" drives the big ford diesel. I start reciting the lords prayer when I see him coming. :lol:

He's not an Asian is he?

That's like even worse.

:lol:

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2008, 06:46:20 PM »

Aaron

Sorry but I don't subscribe to the argument that the best way to promote safety and responsible driving is to make a vehicle that handles so poorly that you can never get going fast enough to properly hurt yourself or others in an accident.

If they're going to keep stuffing 300-400hp engines under the hood and advertising 0-60 times they should have the suspension to handle it.  Kind of like most of the muscle cars we have today have a lot of power but weigh more than a luxury sedan and couldn't turn a corner if the factory's future depended on it.  (4x4 Ram SLT Crew is 5500 pounds, about 1500 more than muscle cars and full size sedans).  Otherwise put 200hp naturally aspirated diesels with 500lb-ft of torque in every one and let people use them for the tasks we used to use trucks for.  Without limitation on power and speed we keep pumping into these trucks I just don't see the logic in that viewpoint.  You can engineer presence and feel into the suspension, you seem to be suggesting the number the better like the days of yore.  IMO a vehicle is easier to control if you can feel the weight rather then being surprised by it as it pushes you past an apex.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 06:48:20 PM by Mad Dog »

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2008, 07:10:14 PM »

Aaron

Sorry but I don't subscribe to the argument that the best way to promote safety and responsible driving is to make a vehicle that handles so poorly that you can never get going fast enough to properly hurt yourself or others in an accident.

If they're going to keep stuffing 300-400hp engines under the hood and advertising 0-60 times they should have the suspension to handle it.  Kind of like most of the muscle cars we have today have a lot of power but weigh more than a luxury sedan and couldn't turn a corner if the factory's future depended on it.  (4x4 Ram SLT Crew is 5500 pounds, about 1500 more than muscle cars and full size sedans).  Otherwise put 200hp naturally aspirated diesels with 500lb-ft of torque in every one and let people use them for the tasks we used to use trucks for.  Without limitation on power and speed we keep pumping into these trucks I just don't see the logic in that viewpoint.  You can engineer presence and feel into the suspension, you seem to be suggesting the number the better like the days of yore.  IMO a vehicle is easier to control if you can feel the weight rather then being surprised by it as it pushes you past an apex.

You need to see the idiots drive their trucks out here then MD.  less than 3 inches of snow over ice.  These assclowns lock in the 4x4s and haul ass, because they feel like they have grip and control.  5 miles later their upside down in the ditch or T-boning someone else because 4 wheel drive doesn't equal 4 wheel stop. 3 tons of steel is still 3 tons of steel regardless of the ride.  It's just easier to lull you into a false security now days.

Offline NaturalRaptor

• Potato King
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2008, 09:17:21 PM »
You can get a longer bed, but only 2500 or 3500 series applications.

~Brian

Just checked the web page and if I wanted a mega cab those only come with a 6'3" box. I really need something to pull a goose neck and need 3/4 or 1 ton. The new body style is only the 1500, maybe they can lengthen the bed in 2010 for the mega cab.
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.