Brakes went out (not working)

Started by Danny T, September 24, 2008, 10:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny T

I was riding in some very muddy wet conditions and my rear brakes were working great. When i got home i went riding around the block and when i push down on the rear brake it goes down very far (feels like no pressure) and the brake does not work. My brake pad has about 30 percent left, and my rotor is pretty beat up. But even when i had no brakes before you could feel the pressure in the pedal.

It kind of feels like the piston is not pushing out fully in the caliper.

Do i need to bleed the brakes? DO i do this while the whole assembly is still attached or take them apart then bleed?

I have never done this before so any tips are appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

Colorado700R

Whats the fluid level of the rear brake resivoir?

Peelz

Quote from: Colorado700R on September 24, 2008, 10:15:41 AM
Whats the fluid level of the rear brake resivoir?

+1 good question. If you keep pushing brakes, does it eventually "pump up" If so bleed em and refill fluid. Bleeding doesn't require removing anything.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Danny T

i am not home right now to check the fluid(stupid me should have thought of that) but it doesnt eventually pump up. It just feels like low pressure constantly.

Peelz

Quote from: dmx434343 on September 24, 2008, 11:48:13 AM
i am not home right now to check the fluid(stupid me should have thought of that) but it doesnt eventually pump up. It just feels like low pressure constantly.

no fluid, and/or blown line. Good Luck.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Peelz

Quote from: Peels660 on September 24, 2008, 12:22:40 PM
Quote from: dmx434343 on September 24, 2008, 11:48:13 AM

no fluid, and/or blown line. Good Luck.

Could be mechanical, too? I doubt it, but possible.

Danny T

hey guys, had my brother go out and check the fluid. it was pretty much empty he said. So question is when i refill it should i bleed em, or just fill it?
And does the fluid generally go empty over time, or only if there is a leak in the line(i have never seen any fluids on my garage floor?)

Thanks again!

socalrappy700

I would bleed, in case any air got in the break line.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Colorado700R

Quote from: Socalrappy700 on September 24, 2008, 12:59:55 PM
I would bleed, in case any air got in the break line.

+1

If the fluid got out. Air got in  :thumbs:

Danny T

ok is the spot where i bleed from the item that looks like a zerk on the caliper. Do i just apply brakes, loosen it a bit, tighten, then release brakes?

Thanks again guys.

im bored at work wish i was home with my baby(my raptor)!

socalrappy700

That would be it.  Has the little rubber cap.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Colorado700R

Have your buddy help you, it takes two people  :thumbs:

socalrappy700

I did it by myself, but then again my arms are long enough to reach.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Colorado700R

Quote from: Socalrappy700 on September 24, 2008, 01:19:09 PM

Correction it takes two normal, non-monkey armed people.   :lol:

Danny T

Quote from: Colorado700R on September 24, 2008, 01:21:43 PM
Quote from: Socalrappy700 on September 24, 2008, 01:19:09 PM

Correction it takes two normal, non-monkey armed people.   :lol:

haha my brother is monkey like, but im only 5'7 so i think ill use some assistance. Will let you guys know how it goes thanks for the quick responses.