Changing Sprockets & Chain. Quick ? Question

Started by Danny T, September 10, 2008, 05:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny T

Ok so my chain broke the other day while out on the trails :mad: so i replace the broken link with a master link and 15 minutes later the chain broke again in a different location, i guess its because the chain had more slack than it should have and it was about 1.5 years old.

So now i am going to change my chain and both sprockets.

Should i put the bike in gear for the front sprocket and then just use a big socket to romove that bolt?? And for the rear the wheels, wheel hub , then the sprocket should just come right out after removing the 4 bolts holding it correct?

THanks sometimes i oversee the obvious and i just want to get it right when my parts come in.

Peelz

First remove two allen screws that are hilding sprocket guard on. Put in gear and remove front sprocket. Easy! It has litlle locking tabs on it to keep it from spinning. Just bend them back with screwdriver.

For the rear, i don't think you need to remove the hub. Just remove the six bolts that hold sprocket around outside, it will fit over the hub.

This whole operation should take less than an hour, easily! Make sure to check chain slack ofeten, new chains will stretch a bit. Less depending on the quality.

:thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Danny T

thanks peels your real helpful, to adjust chain slack i just loosen four allen bolts on swinger, then that small allen on the right side of the axel correct?

Peelz

Quote from: dmx434343 on September 10, 2008, 05:46:55 PM
thanks peels your real helpful, to adjust chain slack i just loosen four allen bolts on swinger, then that small allen on the right side of the axel correct?

Ummm, oops, you have a 700? I jumped the gun, swinger is different. sprocket removal is the same, but 700 was improved design from 660. I hope I didn't confuse you.

there is a service manual in the 700 section. It is still easy as pie I am sure, though.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Warren

to tighten your chain on a 700 you loosen the 4 allen head bolts on the end of the swing arm. they are i believe a 6MM allen head. and then take a punch and stick it in the hole on the left side (looking from the back to the front) of the swing arm. and roll the raptor backward or forward to either tighten or loosen the chain. then take the punch out and tighten and retorque the allen bolts, and your good to go. you can adjust your chain in less then 5 min.
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Peelz

Gunz

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Danny T

ok i see the 4 allen bolts. But where is the hole i stick the punch at????(by the way i got off the sprocts...very simple)

Danny T

O i see the hole now. if looking from the back. it was on the right by my brake caliper.

Thanks, i don't get my chain until tomorrow or friday so i will chime in if i have any issues. Thanks again guys!

Bert

I read a tip in Quad Magazine

1. Don't use air tools tightening the countershaft sprocket

2.Use the rear brake instead of putting it in gear when needed

Danny T

I still have not received my chain and sprockets yet, should be here tomorrow. I went and losened the allen head bolts on the swinger. But i noticed that on the right side of the swinger where warren said to use a punch it has an allen bolt very large. about 9mm. and i cant get to it because the rotor is in the way. is this what i need to losen to adjust my chain slack? thanks

Danny T

Nevermind i SEE THE HOLE NOW. yes on the left side when looking from the back hiding under the axle hub.

Can someone please tell me what then allen bolt behind the rotor does. the piece surrounding it is loose and i can not get a allen wrench in there...

Peelz

Quote from: dmx434343 on September 11, 2008, 03:31:39 PM
Nevermind i SEE THE HOLE NOW. yes on the left side when looking from the back hiding under the axle hub.

Can someone please tell me what then allen bolt behind the rotor does. the piece surrounding it is loose and i can not get a allen wrench in there...

was this your first time?  Did you hit the wrong one first? :rofl:  sorry, couldn't resist  :rolleyes: 

goodluck!

Danny T

lmaoooo, i was peering at the wrong hole but knew something didn't look right;)

Peelz

Quote from: dmx434343 on September 11, 2008, 06:06:58 PM
lmaoooo, i was peering at the wrong hole but knew something didn't look right;)

if it's brown, turn around! :lol: