Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: New Goggles  (Read 2718 times)

Offline vern burny

• Street Cred: 0
New Goggles
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:04:12 AM »
I have been looking for some new goggles and was wondering if there is a safety standard they are required to meet.  Everyone says to make sure a helmet is DOT or Snell certified but I can't find anything regaurding riding goggles.  I know safety glasses usually meet an ANSI rating, is there one for riding goggles I am just not finding or what?

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
Re: New Goggles
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 08:22:40 AM »
From the looking I've done. I don't think there is a standard made for goggles. :(

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline vern burny

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 08:37:42 AM »
How can saftey glass and paintball goggles have to meet a safety standard but MX goggles don't.  Does the shield on a full face helmet meet any standard?  By the looks of it I would be safer wearing a pair of rap around safety glasses with a strap, at least those have past some kind of inspection.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 09:01:38 AM »
I will look on my box when I get home..

But Safety glasses and paintball ones are made specifically for an aplication to where it's expected something is going to hit you in the face.

I'm not sure if shields on full helmets have to meet standards, I'm going to look this weekend when I get to my parents house at the new replacement lense I got for my goggles, see if there's any stamp of approval..

I'm sure there is... there'd have to be.. or I'm sure there'd be some sort of lawsuit by now.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

LittleBuddha

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 02:49:22 PM »
I love my Oakley sand goggles.   :thumbs:

Offline vern burny

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 05:39:08 PM »
Thanks Buddha, I looked up the Oakley Sand Goggles and they show that they meet ANSI Z87.1.  That is the same standard for safety glasses. 

The Oakley web site even has videos showning the testing for ANSI Z87.1., kind of cool to watch.

I looked at Smith and Scott goggles web site but haven't found either one of them mentioning the ANSI standard.  So, I guess I will be looking at Oakley unless I find another pair that meet standards.

Offline Limited660

• BANNED
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 06:20:48 PM »
They all meet some kind of standard, I have my Scott lense right here and I quote "The lens is made of LEXAN, one of the toughest, shatter-resistant transparent materials known to man.  This lens exceeds the U.S. Department of Transportation Test, VESC-8, in regard to impact resistant. However, no goggle can protect the wearer against all potential impacts. This lens is coated to provide resistance from scratching cause by normal cleaning.  With proper care this lens will resist scratching better than conventional non-coated lenses."

Offline Limited660

• BANNED
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 06:23:06 PM »
Also from this site, "Face Shields
Face shields may cover only a portion or all of the face. They come in a variety of designs. The
most popular shield is the flip-up type. There are also two non- flip types, the bubble shield and
the flat shield. Make sure that the compound curves of a bubble shield do not distort your vision
When using a face shield be sure it is securely fastened to the helmet to prevent it being blown
off. It should also be impact-resistant and free from scratches.
When purchasing a face shield, look for the VESC-8 or V8 standard on the top of the shield.
These shields have been tested for impact and penetration resistance
."

Page 2 - http://www.doe.state.la.us/lde/uploads/2315.pdf

Offline vern burny

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 07:12:54 PM »
Thanks Limited now I at least have a standard reference to look for in regards to goggles.  How do you like your Scotts and what kind of helmet do you wear them with?

Offline Limited660

• BANNED
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 07:16:09 PM »
Scott No-Sweat with Self-Tinting Lense(I only think it works in snow and its slow as hell) and HJC CL-X5 helmet and they work great, also dont buy the Roko Quick-Strap, mine kept coming off of the helmet...

Offline Bert

• Street Cred: 7
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 09:32:41 PM »
I've had good luck with my Roko Quick Strap for over 2 years

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 11:05:50 PM »
I have Spy goggles, WAY awesome!!! And nice work liited on finding the standard for them :thumbs:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline vermin88

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 02:25:45 PM »
I have the Oakley San goggles also. By far the best googles I have used.

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
  • Street Cred: 6
  • even dodge dealerships wont take a ford on trade
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 03:34:17 PM »
my thor hero goggles are 2nd to none in my opinion
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Offline ThisGuyAlex

• Street Cred: 1
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 10:17:58 AM »
my thor enemy goggles suck....anti fog my ass
sold the raptor....full on 05 yfz in progress...

stock parts: fuel tank, swingarm and rear shock