What's the break-in procedure???

Started by zx10r203, September 05, 2008, 09:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zx10r203

I will be going to hopefully pick up an 09 SE tomorrow and was just wondering what the break in procedure is on these. 
When do I need to do the 1st oil change, what to check and so on!!!!

FoundArealQuad

It will all be in your owners manual.  :thumbs:
DMC Force 4s, PCIII, Mod Quad Intake, Flexx Bars, Alba Nerfs with Pro Pegs, Rox +2 adjustable risers, CCP, EHS airbox cover

Livingmylife93

preddy08

I would ride it nice for the first half hour to an hour, then from that I would GIVE IT HELL!!!!

Case in point:

My buddy and I got out predator at the same time, I broke it in real nice, and easy. Just like the manual says. My buddy got his and started bang'in the revlimiter the second he got it. His was ALWAYS considerabally faster and mine was a REAL LEMON!!!
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

double06

Yeah, definitely would NOT do it like the book says!  I break my junk in more like Preddy's friend did his bike.  I start it and let it warm up for a min or two tops, mainly to make sure nothing leaks.  Then I take it out and go through the gears never really keeping it at one speed for too long.  I also use mild engine breaking in 2-4th gears to help the rings seal.  I do this for prolly about a hour total, going up and down through the gears.  Then change the oil and filter within that first hour and then its game time!  I'll pm you my number and you can give me a call and I'll walk you through step by step what I do.  Of course, this is just my technique thats worked for me and my toys, others will have their own method.  By the way, all my shit hauls the mail if you know what I'm saying!    :rofl:
I got a '06 with some KDS Racing bells and whistles  :grin_nod:

700crazzzynuttts

If ya want problems, then follow the book, otherwise ride it like ya stole it, but do keep up on the oil changes. Imo  ???

Rode mine, like that right out the back door of the dealership. They thouhgt I was nuts, but the only problem I have had with it, Was dirt going through intake which took out p/c. :rolleyes:

And by the way I do, and have been, rideing it like that semi pro moto cross. the b**ch is very fast. :clap:

damn mods are killing me, b**ch is fast though

BRAD

i just took it easy on mine for the first 30min to an hour. then after that ride it like you will normally ride it for the rest of the time you own it
2007 GYTR Raptor
ROCK series skids
Yoshimura RS7
Motoworks Fuel programmer-(Dobeck Style)
Holeshot HD tires

Troy

I just put my motor together, started it and put it on the trailer.  That was heat cycle number one.  I got to the sand dunes, started it and pulled it off of the trailer, cycle number two.  Went to the dragstrip and raced it all day non stop from there.  That was heat cycle number 3 and it runs good.  All the guys that break them in like they stole them seem to have faster bikes for sure.

VA Raptor

Quote from: zx10r203 on September 05, 2008, 09:55:48 PM
I will be going to hopefully pick up an 09 SE tomorrow and was just wondering what the break in procedure is on these. 
When do I need to do the 1st oil change, what to check and so on!!!!

Congrats on the 09 SE :thumbs:

There's a good article on engine break-in here... http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm.
-Scott
09 Raptor 700 SE
08 Raptor 350
09 Raotor 90
07 Kawasaki Bayou 250

zx10r203

The only problem I am seeing for me is that my first ride might be in sand! Don't like changing the oil on sand.  That stuff gets everywhere!!

Colorado700R

Quote from: zx10r203 on September 08, 2008, 02:25:06 PM
The only problem I am seeing for me is that my first ride might be in sand! Don't like changing the oil on sand.  That stuff gets everywhere!!

put it on the trailer or back in the truck atleast.  I've done it before, it sucks but can be done safely.  :thumbs:

I would avoid wind if all possible though  :thumbs:

BRAD

Quote from: Colorado700R on September 08, 2008, 02:42:26 PM

put it on the trailer or back in the truck atleast.  I've done it before, it sucks but can be done safely.  :thumbs:

yep just takes alot of patience and being real careful
2007 GYTR Raptor
ROCK series skids
Yoshimura RS7
Motoworks Fuel programmer-(Dobeck Style)
Holeshot HD tires

zx10r203

I am bringing an extra tent!!! I'll park it in there!!!! :grin_nod:

What oil do you guys use for the first and second... oil change???

Colorado700R

Quote from: zx10r203 on September 08, 2008, 04:39:09 PM

I am bringing an extra tent!!! I'll park it in there!!!! :grin_nod:

What oil do you guys use for the first and second... oil change???

I used Amsoil  :thumbs: