Tether kill switch wire up

Started by Livingmylife93, September 05, 2008, 03:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Livingmylife93

Can somebody tell me how to do it please?

It a Normally Closed circuit type switch, made by tusk.

Flynbyu

On the ignition key switch, there will be 2 wires. One brown and white. That carries 12VDC when in ON position.

Install your kill switch wire to either one, but make sure it's in a series so that 12VDC will be cut off when you pull the lanyard off. There are other few wires in the main harness you could tap into, but the brown or white wire on back of the key switch are the easiest to get access to.

If you ground one of the kill switch wires, you will either blow a fuse or fry something as soon as your turn on the ignition key. The kill switch wires go series (in-line) to either the brown or white wire so that it opens up the circuit when the lanyard is pulled off.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Krandall

if this isn't answered by the time I get home, I have some pics. one wire you hook up to any ground (the all black wire) the other you splice in w/ the ignition wire (it's the... I BELIEVE bottom wire on that hooks to the little ignition box (round drum kinda lookin thing behind/infront of the CDI box)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Livingmylife93

Quote from: Flynbyu on September 05, 2008, 03:17:41 PM
On the ignition key switch, there will be 2 wires. One brown and white. That carries 12VDC when in ON position.

Install your kill switch wire to either one, but make sure it's in a series so that 12VDC will be cut off when you pull the lanyard off. There are other few wires in the main harness you could tap into, but the brown or white wire on back of the key switch are the easiest to get access to.

If you ground one of the kill switch wires, you will either blow a fuse or fry something as soon as your turn on the ignition key. The kill switch wires go series (in-line) to either the brown or white wire so that it opens up the circuit when the lanyard is pulled off.

~Brian

On mine i have 1 brown 1 red, i guess the red is the white in my case?

I understand i choose one or the other to cut into, but but what do i do with the other wire running from the kill switch and does it matter which wire comes from the kill switch to the other wires?

I dont have a volt meter so im just gonna have to make do.

Thanks alot for the speedy post and good write up  :clap:

Flynbyu

Quote from: Livingmylife93 on September 05, 2008, 03:28:32 PM
Quote from: Flynbyu on September 05, 2008, 03:17:41 PM

~Brian

On mine i have 1 brown 1 red, i guess the red is the white in my case?

I understand i choose one or the other to cut into, but but what do i do with the other wire running from the kill switch and does it matter which wire comes from the kill switch to the other wires?

I dont have a volt meter so im just gonna have to make do.

Thanks alot for the speedy post and good write up  :clap:

The ground wire?

I would ground it to a bolt, or to something on the frame.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

maxx

I have the pingle with 2 wires, I put a meter on it and its closed till pulled, which means current will flow untill lanyard is pulled,I cut the red wire  to the key, soldered in the ends of the kill switch and was done.
About 5 mins if you take  your time.
Bring a Gun to a Gun fight.

Livingmylife93

Quote from: maxx on September 05, 2008, 04:20:03 PM
I have the pingle with 2 wires, I put a meter on it and its closed till pulled, which means current will flow untill lanyard is pulled,I cut the red wire  to the key, soldered in the ends of the kill switch and was done.

so you cut the red wire, and took both ends of the kill switch and connected each one to an end of the red wire?

maxx

Bring a Gun to a Gun fight.

Livingmylife93

Quote from: Livingmylife93 on September 05, 2008, 05:58:55 PM
Quote from: maxx on September 05, 2008, 04:20:03 PM

so you cut the red wire, and took both ends of the kill switch and connected each one to an end of the red wire?

ok, cutting the red wire and taking the two wires from the kill switch and making a connection out of it does not work.

Now i have a cut up rappy sitting in my garage.. :(

Livingmylife93

When i connect both the kill switch wires to the red wire, nothing happens.

Livingmylife93

Quote from: Krandall on September 05, 2008, 03:26:15 PM
if this isn't answered by the time I get home, I have some pics. one wire you hook up to any ground (the all black wire) the other you splice in w/ the ignition wire (it's the... I BELIEVE bottom wire on that hooks to the little ignition box (round drum kinda lookin thing behind/infront of the CDI box)

That would be cool

Krandall

hey man, just got to my parents place. Stay online for about.... 10 mins.. I'm going to run out side and take some pics of the switch for you to show you how I did it.. Both wires do NOT get hooked to the same place. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: BRB

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Krandall

Splice into the Orange wire. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Livingmylife93

Thanks for posting the pics, im gonna get it all together once i have the time, now i have to get the red wire that i cut back together, then i can start over. And probably some wire to extend the kill switch and now the red wire, wich i will get on tuesday, along with a sodder gun lol.

PS i never went offline krandall  ???

Krandall

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here: