is a igniton box the same as a pc3?

Started by fireman5166, August 29, 2008, 12:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireman5166

is a igniton box the same as a pc3? ??? I just wanted some info on the ingiton box that I heard about. Is it the same as putting on the pc3? or is it something totally differnt? If it is differnt will getting one add more power. I have the big 3 but I want more power and dont know where to go next. help???????? :'(
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
rocket factory intake w/K&N
Dynatek programmable  Ignition
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
12,13,14,15, tooth front sprockets
38,40, rear sprockets

dgreenbluet

I'm glad your asking this because I have been wondering the same thing.  I did some digging around and this is what I came up with.  PC3 is a fuel commander and only adjusts the amount of fuel going into the engine and the ignition box adjust the timing or spark of the spark plug.  The ignition box can also amplifly the spark plug to make it burn hotter, i think.  but im new to the ATV world so I might be wrong.
08 Rapester/734cc 105.5mm Bore/11:1 JE Piston/Big Bore Barkers/FCI wBox/Dynateck Prog. Ign./PCIII/15T Sprocket/Trail Tech Vapor wDash Mount/Moose Nerf, Heel Guards, Race Pegs/Full Skids/Bling Star Victory Bumper/Six Pack Rack

Krandall

You are correct dgreen.

The PCIII is used only for controlling the ammount of fuel dumped into your engine @ certain RPM intervals.

The Ignition Controller (DynaTek as well as Power Commanders own Ignition Module) are used for controlling both timing (when the spark is sparking and temp that the spark is going.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

double06

Greenblue is right.  You can do a couple things next to get some more power fairly cheap.  You could get the evac valve from Kenny at KDS racing which is worth a HP or so.  Plus he also does the throttle body boring.  The next biggest kick in the pants mod would be a cam.  Some classify the cam is going into the engine but I don't as it doesn't require breaking the head gasket etc.  If you go with the hot cam stg 1 or 2 you won't have to change out your springs.  If you go with the HC3 and then add a dynatek (ignition box) then its recommended to upgrade your valve springs.  I wouldn't get the dyna as my next mod as you really need the cam to break out its true potential..  Hopefully I wrote this so you can understand.  Basically, what I'm saying is the next mod for seat of the pants power is the Cam!  And I think just about everyone will agree with me on that one.  Some will have a different opinion on whats next after that.  It all boils down to MONEY!   :rofl:
I got a '06 with some KDS Racing bells and whistles  :grin_nod:

double06

Quote from: Krandall on August 29, 2008, 01:48:54 PM
You are correct dgreen.

The PCIII is used only for controlling the ammount of fuel dumped into your engine @ certain RPM intervals.

The Ignition Controller (DynaTek as well as Power Commanders own Ignition Module) are used for controlling both timing (when the spark is sparking and temp that the spark is going.

Dang, Krandall is quick!  Took the words right offa my keyboard!  :P

air

To fully realize the gain of a cam you really need to eliminate the timing retarding at 6500.
I would put in a Dyna ignition box in before I put in a cam.
Rusty

fireman5166

thanks. I thought that a cam would be next. about how much would that cost? under 500 or more?
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
38,40, rear sprockets

fireman5166

I really need to get it all but the wife won't think thats a good idea
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
38,40, rear sprockets

double06

Quote from: air on August 29, 2008, 01:54:33 PM
To fully realize the gain of a cam you really need to eliminate the timing retarding at 6500.
I would put in a Dyna ignition box in before I put in a cam.

And I could agree with Air but you could also say that to get the full potential out of the dyna, you need a cam. 

So, for me, it came down to money.   The cam is about a 150 mod at most and the dyna depends on which model you get but both models are more than 150.

fireman5166

well I need to make up my mind.  what one will give me the best bang for my cash
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
38,40, rear sprockets

fireman5166

I was looking at the power comander igniton but its $350 is there other ones u recomend
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
38,40, rear sprockets

double06

Quote from: fireman5166 on August 29, 2008, 02:00:10 PM
well I need to make up my mind.  what one will give me the best bang for my cash

The cam would be the best seat of the pants bang for your buck.  I don't think too many will disagree with that.  I don't know much about the other ignition module but you will see that most of us have the dynatek.

fireman5166

dynatek is that whats its called?   I need to check that out. (thanks) easy to install. (not the best at wrenching)
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
38,40, rear sprockets

Krandall

best bang for the buck by far would be a cam.

Dynatek is the other big brand for ignition controllers. :thumbs:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

fireman5166

now thats plug and play?  will it work with the pc3 or does it replace it?
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber