Rider weight vs Tire pressure

Started by Colorado700R, August 25, 2008, 11:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado700R

We've all heard the "4-5" PSI recommendations for tire pressure.  What about if your 250+ lbs??  The load on the tires is going to affect the overall footprint correct?  I understand it's allot of trial and error here, but just looking to see if others had success/failures playing with the pressure for diffrent weight riders.

Aaron

Colorado700R

Sorry, forgot to add that I'm talking sand paddle (Haulers) pressures here  ::)

preddy08

I don't believe there is one right tire pressure for anyone. It will change with conditions and rider's needs. It all comes down to trial and error. What works for you will not work for others.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Peelz

I preferred higher pressure for the dunes in the back, lower in the front. 7+ front, 4-5 psi rear.  Opposite for dirt.

AND......I am not a FATA$$.   :lol:  6-0 200lbs

Do some more meth, then you can really lower the pressure. :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

kyledvor61

so does socal run about 15 pounds? ???

Peelz

Quote from: kyledvor61 on August 25, 2008, 12:59:21 PM

:lol: then you run less than one psi  ;) :grin_nod:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

kyledvor61

Quote from: Peels660 on August 25, 2008, 01:33:32 PM
Quote from: kyledvor61 on August 25, 2008, 12:59:21 PM

:lol: then you run less than one psi  ;) :grin_nod:
shh your not supposed to give out my speed secret

fireman5166

im 250 and run about 4psi in the rear and 5psi in the front :thumbs:
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
rocket factory intake w/K&N
Dynatek programmable  Ignition
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
12,13,14,15, tooth front sprockets
38,40, rear sprockets

maxx

2.5-4 on 12 pddl extremes and 6 on mohawks, 240lbs.
Bring a Gun to a Gun fight.

Gunz

I'm 225 (I'm not fat, I'm just big boned). I run 7lbs all they way around on wet sand (river runs) with dirt tires. 4lbs all the way around on loose sand with hawks/paddles. 6lbs front and 4lbs back on dirt with dirt tires. I would think that when the manufacture says 4lbs (or whatever the recommended weight) they have their max weight limit in mind, like 225lb rider 225 being the weight limit. Hell I've seen tires say 5lbs max. I've also rode "Innovations" flat before without know'n it. Its different for everyone, I would just go with what the manufacture says and if you dont like it, fine tune it from there. :confused:

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Peelz

Quote from: 4gunz4x4z on August 26, 2008, 08:33:01 PM
I'm 225 (I'm not fat, I'm just big boned). I run 7lbs all they way around on wet sand (river runs) with dirt tires. 4lbs all the way around on loose sand with hawks/paddles. 6lbs front and 4lbs back on dirt with dirt tires. I would think that when the manufacture says 4lbs (or whatever the recommended weight) they have their max weight limit in mind, like 225lb rider 225 being the weight limit. Hell I've seen tires say 5lbs max. I've also rode "Innovations" flat before without know'n it. Its different for everyone, I would just go with what the manufacture says and if you dont like it, fine tune it from there. :confused:

+1 To be honest, when I bought the rappy, I had never really given two $hits about pressure, other than if flat, air it up. I had only had utility. I had ridden it twice before my first big ride.  I checked them.....20psi  :help:  Never occurred that the guy I bought it from (my boss) would have it that far off. :rofl:

Bert

Quote from: Peels660 on August 26, 2008, 10:26:40 PM

I had never really given two $hits about pressure. I had ridden it twice before my first big ride.  I checked them.....20psi.  Never occurred that the guy I bought it from (my boss) would have it that far off. :rofl:
Peels, lowering your tire pressure lowered your top speed  :lol:

Peelz

Quote from: Bert on August 27, 2008, 08:37:42 AM
Quote from: Peels660 on August 26, 2008, 10:26:40 PM

I had never really given two $hits about pressure. I had ridden it twice before my first big ride.  I checked them.....20psi.  Never occurred that the guy I bought it from (my boss) would have it that far off. :rofl:
Peels, lowering your tire pressure lowered your top speed  :lol:

I added shock covers, so all is well. :rofl:

fire raptor

200 lbs and run 7# on 6 ply desert tires.

Bert

When possible I like to spin my tires on smooth cement & view the tread marks, giving me an idea of the contact patch.   Won't work for paddles though  ???