Blown Head Gasket?

Started by powder coater, August 10, 2008, 09:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powder coater

Went for a lot of long dune rides this weekend on the new Rocket Factory build and after returning from one of the longer ones I noticed a lot of coolant on the front of the frame. I track it down and it looks like if came from the top line on the coolant bottle. When I left it was on the full mark and when I returned it was on the low level. Most of the time the motor ran between 160 and 180 and the highest I saw it it was 220 but mostly just idoling. I went for about 4 more rides after that and watched it carefully and I didn't loose any more coolant and still not a bubble in the bottle.
   Could this be a head gasket issue? I am headed for St. Anthony with it Labor Day and I want to make dam sure everything is on the up and up. Is there a way to test it?

On a side note if anyone thinks you cant do all around duning on a 12 mill stroke they haven't tried it. Its a blast, and the best part is every time you blip the throttle you dowse the person ( Zebra dog in this case) behind you with sand. 4th gear wheelies on a +6 swing arm are also no problem.
Jason for Presedent !

1FST690

When my 690 had a blown head gasket it would blow the coolant completely out of the overflow tank. It took me a while to get it figured out but after I did I marked the overflow bottle with it cold and them again after a ride and it was warm. Now when I ride it I make sure it is on the lower mark when I start out and that it does not go below it. I think you may have got it a touch warm and pushed a bit out. Just my .02 :thumbs:
04 686 Duner
02 NMR 650+ modified "High Mainenance"
02 Scrambler 500
02 Sportsman 500HO ( For Sale )

preddy08

Quote from: powder coater on August 10, 2008, 09:16:16 PM
Went for a lot of long dune rides this weekend on the new Rocket Factory build and after returning from one of the longer ones I noticed a lot of coolant on the front of the frame. I track it down and it looks like if came from the top line on the coolant bottle. When I left it was on the full mark and when I returned it was on the low level. Most of the time the motor ran between 160 and 180 and the highest I saw it it was 220 but mostly just idoling. I went for about 4 more rides after that and watched it carefully and I didn't loose any more coolant and still not a bubble in the bottle.
   Could this be a head gasket issue? I am headed for St. Anthony with it Labor Day and I want to make dam sure everything is on the up and up. Is there a way to test it?

On a side note if anyone thinks you cant do all around duning on a 12 mill stroke they haven't tried it. Its a blast, and the best part is every time you blip the throttle you dowse the person ( Zebra dog in this case) behind you with sand. 4th gear wheelies on a +6 swing arm are also no problem.

I am seeing your same problem, if that's what you want to call it. My radiator is always full to the brim and has pushed the coolant overflow to the low mark and has not moved since. I am seeing the same temps too. I will hit 220 or so when idoling around in the woods. When hitting up the fast trail I see 160-190 normally. Its REALLY hot and humid here too. 100 degrees and 80+% humidity.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

sandaddy

Quote from: powder coater on August 10, 2008, 09:16:16 PM

Excuse me, Paul.............But I think both you and Z-dog are good at also roosting the innocent  :rofl: :rofl:......Sandaddy  8)
`06 780 Duner   Sandaddys Kid
`07 686 Duner   The "Spare"
`08 727 Duner    Dad`s Bike
`09 843 Duner    Dad`s Super Duner
`08 Z400 Duner  Moms` Bike
`10 Da Rzr        The Family Toy

sandaddy

I rode Paul`s 839, as did my son....and we both agreed that we were very surprised that even with all that power it felt like a fantastic duner and .....WOW... was it smooth. Thanks Paul for the opportunity to get on a big dog and ride it............Don  8)
`06 780 Duner   Sandaddys Kid
`07 686 Duner   The "Spare"
`08 727 Duner    Dad`s Bike
`09 843 Duner    Dad`s Super Duner
`08 Z400 Duner  Moms` Bike
`10 Da Rzr        The Family Toy

RaptorRandy

I don't think you have a problem Paul....as has been said, you probably just pushed some coolant out. All the Big bore and stroke 700R based builds I have seen that had a head gasket problem would blow bubbles in the res and continually fill the res up untill it overflowed and pissed down the side of the bike. Then the bike would start to overheat after the coolant level in the rad got low from pushing it all into and out of the res.

Randy

dabigbratj

check your oil.when i had my big bore and big leak.after i would shut bike off i could watch it drink coolant from full to empty in no time it was leaking into the case.main thing change your oil and you will be able to tell if you have a leak.
the Merchant of Miscellanious Merchandise 

:swinger:

Peelz

Quote from: dabigbratj on August 11, 2008, 11:11:44 AM
check your oil.when i had my big bore and big leak.after i would shut bike off i could watch it drink coolant from full to empty in no time it was leaking into the case.main thing change your oil and you will be able to tell if you have a leak.

+1
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

powder coater

I will check the oil for sure. i change it after each ride anyway. I was thinking about it and we were on whooped out trails for the better part of a couple of hours. I think after each whoop I lost a little.

Tell Vicky again what an Idiot I am for shooting her with sand. Is not apologizing for Zebra or any of the rest of you. You had it coming.

So Randy whats the plan for swing arms in the FSA races? +6 of should we step up and make them lite?
Jason for Presedent !

RaptorRandy

Quote from: powder coater on August 11, 2008, 12:19:55 PM
I will check the oil for sure. i change it after each ride anyway. I was thinking about it and we were on whooped out trails for the better part of a couple of hours. I think after each whoop I lost a little.

Tell Vicky again what an Idiot I am for shooting her with sand. Is not apologizing for Zebra or any of the rest of you. You had it coming.

So Randy whats the plan for swing arms in the FSA races? +6 of should we step up and make them lite?

I'm not going to run anymore FSA races. I'm not going to be continually spending money and changing stuff on my bike, I don't agree with that rule change. I like it just the way it is, so all I'm going to do is freshen it up this winter, and then ride it and enjoy as much as I can afford to  :thumbs:

On the head gasket question.....of all the big bore and strokers I have seen that were putting combustion pressure into the radiator and pushing coolant out of the overflow bottle....before the stud kits were avalable, I did not seen one with coolant in the oil. They ran fine, had no coolant blowing out the exhaust or in the oil. They just pushed coolant out of the res continually and made bubbles in the res every time you revved them.The head gaskets didn't even look blown when torn down. With the stud kit I havent seen any problems yet with the peeps I know running the 105mm OEM cylinders. I imagine it's  still possible to blow a head gasket if you had some detonation or something. If you don't have any coolant coming out of the exhaust or in your oil, I would do a pressure test on the cooling system. If it holds pressure and exhibits no other symptoms like bubbles in the res or continually filling the res up you know your fine.

Randy

powder coater

I agree with ya randy. I finally get a motor that could be competitive and now I need to make the decision to strip it down so much it wouldn't be any fun to ride on the dunes weekends or set it up for the duner class and only run that class. This thing will be a bitch get out of the hole fast with a +6 so sumo and builder classes will hand it to me. I still think this motor was build for the tree shots and hill climbs.
Jason for Presedent !

RaptorRandy

Quote from: powder coater on August 11, 2008, 09:44:52 PM
I agree with ya randy. I finally get a motor that could be competitive and now I need to make the decision to strip it down so much it wouldn't be any fun to ride on the dunes weekends or set it up for the duner class and only run that class. This thing will be a bitch get out of the hole fast with a +6 so sumo and builder classes will hand it to me. I still think this motor was build for the tree shots and hill climbs.

I vote we stick to tree shots and hill climbs and use the money we would spend on continually changing chit for fuel to make more dune trips  :thumbs: 

dabigbratj

also with my 734 i was running a bolt kit at 40 ft lbs and a oring.and my oil looked like caramel
the Merchant of Miscellanious Merchandise 

:swinger:

maxx

Paul all you have to do is stay off those whoops  :thumbs: that you like so much and your bb won't overheat. :clap:,just joking you were pushing to hard trying to stay ahead of Sandaddyand me. :nana:
Bring a Gun to a Gun fight.

powder coater

Hey MAXX
If your sundays open Im trying to get Mike to run his bike at the Florance hill on Sunday. Just a day trip. He hasnt said yes or no yet. I will keep you posted.
Jason for Presedent !