Does boring the TB make it harder to tune?

Started by r00st, August 06, 2008, 03:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r00st

I know all about boring/smoothing throttle bodies on cars (got better throttle response and a couple HP on my SVT). But some people have complained (at least in the auto industry) that boring the TB can make it harder to tune.

Any truth to this? I cannot really see why this would be so, as you are not really changing the flow characteristics, just the volume and velocity of the air moving through the same hole.

If I am using a canned map (well someone elses map...Barkers to be specific) for my Duals/PCIII/ Pro design (K&N with lid off). Do you think it will be necessary to dyno to get a proper tune, or will it not affect the A/F much at all?

If this is all a figment of my imagination...where do I sign up? Cost? Turnaround?

Kenny?!!? LOL

Thanks
Mike
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Warren

i don't have a bored TB personally but i would think it may be harder to tune at home without a dyno. but if you put it on a dyno it would tune up pretty easy. i would think anyway.
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

RaptorRandy

It depends soley on your tuning skills and experience with EFI mapping using the PCIII. I have seen nothing that makes a bored TB harder to tune....if you have the TPS sensor and throttle plate set correctly, you just add fuel accordingly. Usually 4% to the bottom & mid range and sometimes as much as 5-6% in the mid and top end depending on where your map was at. Having said that, unless you have an A/F meter your best tune is going to come from a good tuner on a load cell dyno.

Randy   

preddy08

My guy spent an hour and a half getting mine tuned for the bored TB. Then again he has only done a couple of raptor.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Troy

I've only heard of a couple people on here who had a little extra time in tuning it in.  Not an issue if you go to a dyno with the tuning link software.  Either way it's worth the little extra for the benefits you get out of it.

RaptorRandy

Not bragging here at all, but I have laptop tuned a bunch of bikes with bored TB's at the Raptor Rally's and such and once throttle position and throttle plates were set, they did not tune any different than a bike with a stock TB. When I finally got around to having Kenny do a +3mm for me for my 780 I was pleasantly suprised at how easy it was to dial in as I already knew what to look for from messing with everyone else's. It was real nice to hear a tuner the caliber of Dave at Rooster Built say to me....your bike has the best tune as delivered of any I have ever had on my dyno. That right there tells me it ain't no harder to dial in a bored TB on a hot rod big bore & stroker than it was to tune it with the stock TB on it. I think a lot of peeps just throw the bored TP on without setting the TPS, backing out the idle adjustment screw and setting the throttle plate and expect them to run right as delivered. Set those things and then adjust the idle speed once it's warm, add fuel accordingly and it should go smoothly and you should get it to run well enough untill you can make a trip to a dyno or get an A/F measuring set up to tune it with.

Randy

Troy

I wish I had your talent tuning these things without a dyno.  There are very few guys out there that can tune these in by ear, and as far as knowing the people Kiel and you are the only ones I've heard of that can get almost every horsepower possible out of them without the dyno.  When Kiel puts his up on the dyno the guy always says the map is way close and is he sure he wants to spend the money on a tune, but the dyno always gets that little bit to make it worth it.  I'd brag Randy, not many people can do it :thumbs:

RaptorRandy

Quote from: troywcc on August 06, 2008, 08:38:43 AM
I wish I had your talent tuning these things without a dyno.  There are very few guys out there that can tune these in by ear, and as far as knowing the people Kiel and you are the only ones I've heard of that can get almost every horsepower possible out of them without the dyno.  When Kiel puts his up on the dyno the guy always says the map is way close and is he sure he wants to spend the money on a tune, but the dyno always gets that little bit to make it worth it.  I'd brag Randy, not many people can do it :thumbs:

Thanks for the props, it appreciated........but honestly, I've always  just figured if my old backwoods arse can do it, with a little practice anyone who was good at tuning carbed machines could do it.

Bert

r00st
Kenny bored my TB +2 & then I had Ticeman Performance dial it in, works great  :thumbs: