Pistons are done*UPDATE*

Started by Kenny, July 30, 2008, 07:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krandall

+1... I think I'm ready for 14:1  ::) ::) ::)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Bert

Quote from: Krandall on July 31, 2008, 10:17:26 PM

I saw Quad Magazine had an article recently about racing fuels & additives...

What fuel/octane requirements does the 14:1 need?

Krandall

I would say at least 100

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

socalrappy700

Maybe next time you'll listen to me.

:lol:
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

VelociRaptor

You and I talked about this when we was going over your engine, "I wanna run pump gas" :'( :lol:

zebradog

Hey Kenny....do you have a weight on the 11:1 piston?  Also, by increasing the compression to the true ratio, will it have any effect on running pump gas at 11:1?
Thanks

Kenny

Quote from: zebradog on August 01, 2008, 06:58:56 PM
Hey Kenny....do you have a weight on the 11:1 piston?  Also, by increasing the compression to the true ratio, will it have any effect on running pump gas at 11:1?
Thanks
Actually I don't have a weight. I will get that as soon as possible. I think the piston itself weighs 390 gr....It does have full underside lightening. The piston should behave the same with pump gas. While the CR is higher, the tighter quench makes it less octane sensitive. :thumbs:
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154
Paypal: kenny@swva.net

:satan:

zebradog

Quote from: Kenny on August 01, 2008, 09:05:04 PM
Quote from: zebradog on August 01, 2008, 06:58:56 PM
Thanks
Actually I don't have a weight. I will get that as soon as possible. I think the piston itself weighs 390 gr....It does have full underside lightening. The piston should behave the same with pump gas. While the CR is higher, the tighter quench makes it less octane sensitive. :thumbs:
How does having a tighter quench make it less octane sensitive?  Not questioning your information, just curious how it works....

Kenny

A couple of ways. The tighter quench with less dome makes a more compact chamber. What I mean by that is that it is more localized even though it is roughly the same volume. The flame doesn't have to travel the entire distance of the bore and across a dome.......The flame will be pretty much centralized, which makes a more efficient and faster burn. The tighter quench also tends to increase mixture motion, which also tends to increase efficiency and burn rate. The longer the mixture is allowed to absorb heat from the chamber before being completely burned, the greater the chance of detonation. There is also the effect of the amount of surface area the mixture sees..... I'm guessing you wanted me to generalize, so I'll stop now :lol: 
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154

RaptorRandy

Quote from: Kenny on August 02, 2008, 12:48:04 PM
A couple of ways. The tighter quench with less dome makes a more compact chamber. What I mean by that is that it is more localized even though it is roughly the same volume. The flame doesn't have to travel the entire distance of the bore and across a dome.......The flame will be pretty much centralized, which makes a more efficient and faster burn. The tighter quench also tends to increase mixture motion, which also tends to increase efficiency and burn rate. The longer the mixture is allowed to absorb heat from the chamber before being completely burned, the greater the chance of detonation. There is also the effect of the amount of surface area the mixture sees..... I'm guessing you wanted me to generalize, so I'll stop now :lol: 

Good stuff  :thumbs:   Better flame propagation is what it's all about  8)

Kenny

Quote from: RaptorRandy on August 02, 2008, 01:21:42 PM

I was hoping that explanation was digestible. Sometimes hillbilly doesn't translate well.... ???
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154

J-HILT

Quote from: Kenny on August 02, 2008, 02:18:32 PM

I was hoping that explanation was digestible. Sometimes hillbilly doesn't translate well.... ???
:nocomment:
**Racers Edge**
** Wild Ones Racing**
CNC Head
14:1 Cp Piston
X-4 Cam
+2TB *Kennys*
PCIII
Dynatek Ignition
LTE Dual Exhaust
Can't give away all my tricks

NaturalRaptor

Quote from: Kenny on August 02, 2008, 02:18:32 PM

Well said!  :thumbs:

I understand hillbilly and redneck. Its Charley Brown's school teachers that get by me!  ???
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.

zebradog

Thanks Kenny, I prefer the long un-necessarily lengthy answers, they make more sense as to what is happening.

Kenny

I need to move these quick so I can put money somewhere else.
I have these left:
3) 11:1 102 bore
4) 11:1 105 bore
1) 14:1 102 bore
1) 14:1 105 bore

As far as I know these are the only corrected deck height pistons on the market.
They feature;
fully lightened under dome machining
superior 2618 material instead of 4032
Total Seal gapless rings
extra deep valve pockets to clear all cams including my  soon to be released high lift cam. I will let these go for $200 ea which are gonna normally retail for about $270
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154