Tranny gears for racing

Started by Colorado700R, July 30, 2008, 03:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado700R

I was wondering if anyone had custom cut tranny gears for drag racing?  If not, would it be a benefit to open, or tighten the ratios between certain gears?

Aaron

Bert

RaptorR

I would talk to RaptorNut, he had his gears precision cut. The stock ones don't mesh together properly.....  Especially underload.  When I get my motor rebuilt I will be looking into that aswell.

Kosta

1FST690

Mine are cut but its a 660. I did talk with my builder and he said no problem on the 700 but recomended the removal of reverse and 5th
04 686 Duner
02 NMR 650+ modified "High Mainenance"
02 Scrambler 500
02 Sportsman 500HO ( For Sale )

Colorado700R

Application I'm looking for is for TT/CC style racing

1FST690

You deffinatly need to ask Raptornut then. He had his backcut which allow them to engage smoother but it is not like an override which is how mine is cut :thumbs:
04 686 Duner
02 Scrambler 500

jwraptor

everything I have read about on 700's is the gears don't hold up when cut the gears for an override but as 1fst said raptornut has tried and could shed more light on the situation. 

P.S. 1fst690 should have to change his name b/c I think he's no longer a 690.  :lol:

1FST690

I thought about changing it but I still have the 690. Its my duner, might get raced this weekend in Albany with Sub454. Rons is cut but not like an override. I saw a thread about it somewhere but I cant find it for the life of me :rofl:
04 686 Duner
02 Scrambler 500

jwraptor

I believe there is one on no mercy

r00st

I dont know about the 700's but its very common on the DS' I had it done on my 730. It allows for smoother engagment once the motor is warm (oil warmed up). When its cold it was a pretty stiff shift (and impossible to find neutral).

The benefits are that when racing it goes straight into gear (mine never mis-shifted or fell out of gear). It also strengthened the gear (took out the slop) so you could power shift without worrying about chipping/cracking the gears. This was only done on 1-4. It held up to MANY hard drag launches/shifts on my 75rwhp 730 build! It was awesome being able to fly up the hill and just tap it into gear with clutch less shifting. Very crisp.

If the 700 gears can handle being back cut I would recommend it!
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF