New chain for 700

Started by fire raptor, July 25, 2008, 03:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fire raptor

Anyone have info on what chain is a good replacement? Continuous or one with a masterlink? , Yamaha recommends a continuous chain. any opinions?

Krandall

I'm gonna come in with the "I'm Using....." post...  :lol:

I'm using a D.I.D O-Ring chain. I have an extended swinger so I bought a 120 link chain and cut it down.I've had no problems as of yet w/ a master link style chain.  :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

fire raptor

Thanks for your input. You race with that chain right? I never had a master link failure on my motorcycles over the years of riding. As we are prepping for a 800 mile ride in Oct this ? came up. And I thought I would throw the ? out for opinions.

Krandall

Yup, had it's first 2 hour XC race 2 weekends ago. :thumbs:

I've ridden it since this spring and havent' had any issues to date

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

RaptorRandy

I have a master link in the ti moly chain I'm running on my 780 with a +8'' arm with 60+ ft lbs of TQ and it's no lightweight bike, I  have yet to have a problem with it  :thumbs:

kyledvor61

vreds

I runned a UMI plain chain and I broke it twice. I got tired and bought a D.I.D X-ring. No more problem.
Raptor 700 2006 ... now with a dead engine :(

PC5
YFZ front shock
CCP stabilizer
Lonestar axle

Bert

I replaced the OEM chain with a Moose Racing non O-ring chain & ended up throwing it @  D-Town.  I picked up a D.I.D. O-ring chain & now religiously lube it  :thumbs:
No problems with the master link

tonyrt44

Quote from: fire raptor on July 25, 2008, 03:48:43 PM
Anyone have info on what chain is a good replacement? Continuous or one with a masterlink? , Yamaha recommends a continuous chain. any opinions?

it is known that "masterlinks" are the weakest link in drive chains, but those top $$ racing chains masterlinks should be far more superiour.
If you are using some ordinary chain, I would recommend continuous one.
Ranking:   ???

Bert

tonyrt44 - Awesome sig pic  :thumbs:

fire raptor - I haven't paid attention when looking at chains, do they offer continuous chain replacements?  The option we're left with is going to a motorcycle shop & having it "riveted"...  ???

BRAD

Quote from: fire raptor on July 26, 2008, 11:49:38 AM
Thanks for your input. You race with that chain right? I never had a master link failure on my motorcycles over the years of riding. As we are prepping for a 800 mile ride in Oct this ? came up. And I thought I would throw the ? out for opinions.

what kinda ride you going on thats 800 miles??
2007 GYTR Raptor
ROCK series skids
Yoshimura RS7
Motoworks Fuel programmer-(Dobeck Style)
Holeshot HD tires

fire raptor

Quote from: BRAD on August 07, 2008, 11:53:53 AM
Quote from: fire raptor on July 26, 2008, 11:49:38 AM

what kinda ride you going on thats 800 miles??
Just got back in town so this is a late answer. Baja, we are doing a 7 or 8 day 800 mile plus ride.

Raptor Trent

I had trouble with two or three chains and several sprockets. Switched to sidewinder sprockets and the ti-II smart chain that never needs to be lubed and 16000 lbs tensile strength. No more troubles, I am a 225 lb rider and drag race and am the current four stroke record holder at Thunder Road Sand Drags in Oklahoma, with a 4.26 seconds and a 1.41 sixty ft. time so you can imagine I need a strong setup.

Bert

I beat that's a hell of a rush Raptor Trent

Danny T

what do people think about the primary drive chains/sprocket that RMATV sells?