Repairing bent skidplates?

Started by Livingmylife93, July 22, 2008, 10:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Livingmylife93

My swingarm skid plate has a big dent in it that push the side under the chain way up. The chain has worn way down into the white matireal above the metal. Any ideas on how to get this thing straight would be appreciated.  :help:

I already breok my vise trying to fix it that way...

ThisGuyAlex

a hydraulic press, or cut off the bad part and tig in a new piece of aluminum
sold the raptor....full on 05 yfz in progress...

stock parts: fuel tank, swingarm and rear shock

FoundArealQuad

Aluminum becomes weak when bent back into place. Straightening is just a temp fix. I hate to say it but ThisGuyAlex is right.
DMC Force 4s, PCIII, Mod Quad Intake, Flexx Bars, Alba Nerfs with Pro Pegs, Rox +2 adjustable risers, CCP, EHS airbox cover

Livingmylife93

So maybe i should just leave it?
It doesnt really make a differance to anything, the chain rubs on the wax like white stuff and has worn a rut deep into it, so i guess it doesnt rub anymore...

Jamie700R

I bent my pro amour very little. Just enough that the bottom of the rotor was just about to touch. I took it off heated it up with a acetelene torch and smacked it with a sledge and could'nt bend it back. So i ordered a new PRM. Once its bent your taking a chance of rebending it in the same spot. I sure don't want to be left stranded because my dumb ass didnt buy a new one and my rotor or sprocket is stuck against the skid plate.

Livingmylife93

Ok, so the best thing to do is to just leave it?
Its not really affecting anything anymore...

FoundArealQuad

Quote from: Jamie700R on July 23, 2008, 09:55:21 AM
I bent my pro amour very little. Just enough that the bottom of the rotor was just about to touch. I took it off heated it up with a acetelene torch and smacked it with a sledge and could'nt bend it back. So i ordered a new PRM. Once its bent your taking a chance of rebending it in the same spot. I sure don't want to be left stranded because my dumb ass didnt buy a new one and my rotor or sprocket is stuck against the skid plate.
I really like PRM's stuff, good buy :thumbs:
DMC Force 4s, PCIII, Mod Quad Intake, Flexx Bars, Alba Nerfs with Pro Pegs, Rox +2 adjustable risers, CCP, EHS airbox cover

Jamie700R

Quote from: Polarass525 on July 23, 2008, 11:24:22 AM
Quote from: Jamie700R on July 23, 2008, 09:55:21 AM
I really like PRM's stuff, good buy :thumbs:
PRM didnt measure too well with their new z-plate. I need to pull out the grinder to make it fit. The rear mount hits the swingarm just on the edge before the mounts sit flush. Its not a great description but where i circled hits the (guess they are casting marks?) on the bottom of the swingarm. My Pro amour did this too. I ended up putting a washer underneath the pro amour. And ive tried this on two different swingarms. They are looking into the problem and told me what ever i do to this one to make it fit (grind,bend)they will warranty it. I would'nt of noticed it unless i mounted it on my spare swingarm first. Its a different scenario when your trying to just bolt it on from underneath. Anyone else notice any problems?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jamie700R

Quote from: Livingmylife93 on July 23, 2008, 09:08:39 AM
So maybe i should just leave it?
It doesnt really make a differance to anything, the chain rubs on the wax like white stuff and has worn a rut deep into it, so i guess it doesnt rub anymore...

As long as its not going to damage anything if it gets hit again. If you could take a pic

Livingmylife93

Yea, ill try and take one tomorrow...

Bert

Jamie700R
I didn't notice any issues when mounting my PRM Z-plate, I mounted it from the bottom so.....

Livingmylife93
I've adjusted my chain & had the same wear issues.  When your tightening the chain the axle moves in an oval (eccentric) pattern.    Does this make sense?
The axle actually moves up & down as well as for & aft when your tightening the chain.  You will be able to see it if your watching the clearance of your skid, chain/sprocket when spinning the axle.

I had the axle at the bottom of the oval pattern putting my chain/sprocket too close to the skid. I re-adjusted my chain to put some distance between the skid & chain/sprocket.

Anyone have anything to add....