Any advice on clutches?

Started by PDX Raptor, July 21, 2008, 12:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDX Raptor

My clutch is starting to slip and would like some advice on what to get. So far I have looked at GYTR and EBC, but don't know much about the subject. I running about 55hp, so really don't need/want a direct drive or slingshot. Thanks for your help
Charlie

preddy08

There is no reason a stocker would not last you another 2-3 years.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

PDX Raptor

Well I bought new levers earlier this year and had to do some adjusting, Then I bought new Bars 2 weeks ago and had a hell of a time getting it dialed in. I think that is what accelerated my clutch life. I have not looked into another stocker, but can't imagine it is much cheaper than EBC or GYTR.
Charlie

preddy08

Quote from: PDX Raptor on July 21, 2008, 01:18:00 PM
Well I bought new levers earlier this year and had to do some adjusting, Then I bought new Bars 2 weeks ago and had a hell of a time getting it dialed in. I think that is what accelerated my clutch life. I have not looked into another stocker, but can't imagine it is much cheaper than EBC or GYTR.

Just get new fiber plates, and inspect the friction plates for warpage and heat discoloration. Make sure there are no groves in the basket also. If all that is good (90% sure it should be) just slap some new fibers in there and toss a wisher under the bolts before you torque them down. That will add some added pressure for you added power.

Do what ever is cheaper, either the EBC, Barrett or the stocker. Just dont get the TUSK kit, I have herd some pretty bad things about them!

Bert

Heard lot of good things about stock clutches being quality peices  :thumbs:

PDX Raptor

Yea I went with the stock fiber plates. Thanks Preddy
Charlie

Krandall

are clutches pretty easy to replace?  ???

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

RaptorRandy

Quote from: Krandall on July 22, 2008, 03:21:03 PM

With a quick change cover they are ;)

As many times as I had mine on and off when I was smoking clutches before I got the lockup...I still thought it was a huge pain in the ass draining the oil & coolant, pulling the foot peg and brake pedal and taking the side cover off to spend all of 10 minutes changing out the clutches then fighting that hateful bastard back on their. If I ever get another 700R just to leave a 3 mod, as soon as I need to replace the clutch I'll put a quick change cover back on it.....but that's just me.

Randy

Peelz

Quote from: Krandall on July 22, 2008, 03:21:03 PM

I have heard two sets of stories. Either way hard don't try it-take it ot the dealer. Or no biggie, done in 1 hr. :rofl: It doesn't appear incredibly difficult. ???
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

preddy08

Long story short.

Is it hard/complicated, No.

Is it a PITA, Yes.

Flynbyu

Quote from: preddy08 on July 22, 2008, 03:37:39 PM
Long story short.

Is it hard/complicated, No.

Is it a PITA, Yes.

+1

Pretty simple with basic tools, but it is a pain in the ass. The village idiot could install one if he/she does have a little mechanical knowledge. Just take your time.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

PDX Raptor

The hardest part for me was getting the cover off, and then getting it back on with the gasket seated correctly. My dealer told me not to glue it so it took a couple of tries to get the cover on with the gasket seated. The actual changing of the fibers took 5 minutes. Also a friend of mine told me to soak the new fibers in oil over night before the install.
Charlie

disco

Reviving an old thread.

Do you go to the stealer and buy new fibers or does somebody have them online?  All I can find is EBC.  If stock is fine I'll go back with that but I can't seem to find anybody that carries stock stuff. 

It's actually going in a 660.
mostly stock with a 12t sprocket of fury

SprinterX

Quote from: disco on September 13, 2009, 10:02:25 PM
Reviving an old thread.

Do you go to the stealer and buy new fibers or does somebody have them online?  All I can find is EBC.  If stock is fine I'll go back with that but I can't seem to find anybody that carries stock stuff. 

Steve at TQS sells stock parts. There's a ton of other on-line parts places that sell oem pieces at varying discounts.......goggle it up.
08 Raptor 700

RE +1 head, X4 cam, TQS 11.5 piston, KDS +3 TB & evac, FCI,
Barkers duals, PC5 with A/T, Dyna Programmable, DL700 tune.
+2 I-Shock arms, Rock axle, reworked shocks, GTT link, +4 oem ext'd swinger
Elka Sys5 Dampner, Fasst Flexx on Rox anti-vibe risers, TT HIDs
Razr2 on HiPers, Skat 21/12/8 8pdl extremes, Sandstar frts
Roll bumper, PA guards/nerfs/skids

Krandall

Quote from: SprinterX on September 14, 2009, 09:22:33 AM
Quote from: disco on September 13, 2009, 10:02:25 PM
Reviving an old thread.

Steve at TQS sells stock parts. There's a ton of other on-line parts places that sell oem pieces at varying discounts.......goggle it up.

goggle it up? :lol:

YamahaOfTroy has been pretty good w/ stock parts for me. But Steve @ TQS is another great option. :thumbs:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once