Battery Replacement options

Started by Bert, July 17, 2008, 12:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

Time to get the Rappy a new battery, just not from the stealership

Do I have any options or do I "NEED" an OEM replacement battery?

Where could I find a good, reasonable priced battery.

Thanks

shrimpy21

A gel battery will work fine,you can find them on Ebay  :thumbs:
2008 SE1 Road legal
Monster duals
Texas intake,K&N,outerware
Pro-Tec Moflow airbox lid
PCIII
KDS evac valve,KDS +3 TB
RJ cam
Bo's P&P updated track head
11:1 CP
GYTR rear skid
GYTR A-arm skids
Pro Armour engine skid
Blingstar victory bumber
Loadsa blingstar covers
Hiper tech 3 carbon wheels
Black Trail-Tech fat bars
Trail Tech dashboard clamp

biggixxerjim

Nope, ur locked into buying the oem replacement, a rebadged Yuasa. I Paid 130 for mine.
2006 Raptor SE
Burgard +2 A Arm
YFZ shocks
RPM Dominator
Big Gun F/S
Dobeck Gen III
CFM Alum. Air Box
Pro Armor Pro Peg/MX Bumper
Pro Taper 1 1/8
ITP GNCC Front on Itp T-9
Maxxis Razr II Rear with ITP Baja
Streamline wave rotors
Custom PRM Swing Skid
RK Chain/Renthal Sprokets

jwraptor

I beleive some of the drag racers are using yfz 450 batteries as the are a little lighter than a raptor battery.

RaptorRandy

I bought a replacement battery from Rocky Mountain ATV on 3/19/07 for my 06 700R and it hasn't gave me a moments trouble.
It was the  Motor Power No Maintenance Battery - 2006 Yamaha RAPTOR 700 Part# CT9B4  for 49.99......I highly recommend it  :thumbs:

UpOnTwo

Quote from: RaptorRandy on July 27, 2008, 03:28:37 PM
I bought a replacement battery from Rocky Mountain ATV on 3/19/07 for my 06 700R and it hasn't gave me a moments trouble.
It was the  Motor Power No Maintenance Battery - 2006 Yamaha RAPTOR 700 Part# CT9B4  for 49.99......I highly recommend it  :thumbs:

Finally, a battery that will fit that little @$$ battery box!! The stearlership keeps insisting its a larger battery.

You're the man RaptorRandy!

UpOnTwo

BTW, its rmatv Part# 1090190011 for those who need one

RaptorRandy

Glad to be able to help out.
One thing I forgot to mention is that I did have to add a 1/4'' rubber spacer between the top of the battery and the OEM metal retaining bracket that bolts to the frame. This battery is a little shorter than OEM and weights a little less for those that care about weight.

Randy

Bert

Quote from: UpOnTwo on July 27, 2008, 10:46:13 PM
BTW, its rmatv Part# 1090190011 for those who need one
Thanks for the part #  :thumbs:
Thanks RaptorRandy  :thumbs:

Mad Dog

I know this doesn't apply directly to the 700, but bear with me.

The 660 raptor was a model 14 Yuasa.  The 660 grizz used a model 20 that has a higher capacity and more cranking amps.  The 20 would fit into the 660 raptor if you removed the bracket.  It was a worthwhile upgrade when yours went south, I would imagine there are batteries with more capacity and power that can fit into the 700 if someone was able to take a tape measure to the store with them.

Regardless of whether you go for the same model or not I suggest an AGM battery, I prefer them to the traditional wet batteries.

RaptorRandy

I have had AGM batteries fail in every rough and tumble application I have used them in from ATV's to Race cars to boats. IMHO they are way overpriced for how delicate they are.

The battery I listed held it's charge with no tender all thru last winter for what it's worth.

Mad Dog

I will admit my only experience with AGM batteries in an atv is with the one I currently have in my 660 that I got from Auto Zone.  I have had it in there for about two years now with no problems and it has performed better than a fresh yuasha ytx14 did when I first did a build in 2005.

Bert

Its nice to see we have options beyond the stealership.

Thanks MadDog  :thumbs:

SUB454

I tried a smaller battery to save a few pounds and had trouble starting my motor at Sandfest. I ended up putting the stocker back in.
DIRECTDRIVE

Bert

Good to know Sub454

My main goal is to have the same amount of cranking amps & not pay stealership prices.   :lol:

It would be nice to mount the battery lower on the machine as well to lower the CG