Rap 700 vs. yfz 450

Started by devildog108, July 13, 2008, 01:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devildog108

Ok guys, seeing a ton of deals here. Now i am at a crossroad as to what to get.  You've got the YFZ and the 700.  Both are 07 models and are Basically being given away for $3800.00.  Can someone break down the major differences, other than Kyles coming with the YFZ shocks...LOL.  Pro's and con's on both.....anyone,  Beuller???????? ??? ???

04 Rappy with some stuff

Colorado700R

Well, I would break them down by your desired riding style.

If you're in for MX or competition GNCC then I vote YFZ.

If your hardcore trails, or dunes, I say Raptor.

If the rappy is an SE model, it's shocks are equal to the YFZs, if not it's only ~$200 upgrade to purchase them online.

Aaron

devildog108

Problem is I like both trails and flying, and the closest sand around here is the ocean....ALL RED CLAY.

04 Rappy with some stuff

Colorado700R

also If your near 6ft, an 450 might get cramped for ya.  It's all personal preference though.

And a FYI a rappy flys nice too  :thumbs:

Diggs59

Quote from: Colorado700R on July 13, 2008, 01:59:49 PM
also If your near 6ft, an 450 might get cramped for ya.  It's all personal preference though.

And a FYI a rappy flys nice too  :thumbs:

Good point Colorado....I too had a tough decision at the dealership....I rode both out in the parking lot and after I got on the Raptor I was sold based on the ride alone. Rider comfort for me :thumbs: Yes, I'm 6'0 and 205lbs.

kyledvor61

yea man mine came with yfz shocks!!!

You say both trails and flying, what type of trails? fast, slow, tight, wide, etc. I ride mine in my yard which is open and fast. I freakin love it. If comfort is the number 1 priority then 700 is the way to go. also I agree with everyone else, if your tall you might feel cramped, but thats nothing a new stem or bars cant fix. It's all jus tpresonal preference. I'm 5"0 and ride with a +1 stem and higher bend bars, thats just how i roll.

some more specifics on riding and what your looking for and im sure we can fine tune that some more for you :thumbs:

exentix

the 700 is defanitley comfortable to ride, i have never rode a 450 tho... and the 700 is great on trails, like everyone else said, the 450 is more for racing mx and stuff like that. id say see if you can ride both and see which one you like that way

vreds

Just go try them both, you'll see which one you prefer.

I chose my 700 because I mainly do trail. Bigger engine that have a great amount of torque and require LESS maintenance, have reverse and fuel injection... When you get stuck you see those 400ex owner get of and pull their bumper to get out, and I just turn the switch and I reverse. They always swear at you  :rofl:. That's what I wanted.

Not that the 450 isn't good, it's just not for me. They are meant to be jump IMO and it's not my 1st priority. But I still can do good in this department... Just not as much. :)

By the way, go to a 450 forum too, it's sure you'll have more positive feedback for the raptor on a Raptor site.

I'm 5'9 and 180lbs so I feel great on the raptor. It don't seem heavy to me.
Raptor 700 2006 ... now with a dead engine :(

PC5
YFZ front shock
CCP stabilizer
Lonestar axle

RR34

anyone who says a 450 is cramped is full of shit. 5'11" and mine feels perfect nobody i know has ever said it was cramped at all.
f*ck the system? i didnt even know there was a system!

http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=119&i=12144039584121zx

Colorado700R

Quote from: RR34 on July 13, 2008, 04:01:17 PM
anyone who says a 450 is cramped is full of shit. 5'11" and mine feels perfect nobody i know has ever said it was cramped at all.

Not everyone is built the same, I'm 6'2" 190lbs and the 450 isn't nearly as comfortable as the 700.  Some peoples legs are longer at the same height as others. 

exentix

Quote from: RR34 on July 13, 2008, 04:01:17 PM
i think alot of it is presonal preferance and what people are used to... im 5'8 135 and a 700 doesnt feel the slightest bit big and ive never had the opportunity to ride a 450

Peelz

If you want long term reliability-go Raptor. They are built for the long-haul and busting out trails. A bit more tippy.

If you do not mind rebuilding motors, go YFZ. They don't have as long of a life expectancy. And they are too small IMO, I am 6'1" 200 lbs. Hurts my back riding them. But...they are built for the track and do a great job at it. My .02$

Rappy= speed and power
yfz=agility
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

devildog108

OK, if the yfz is considered "cramped", how does its size compare to the Rapt 350......Im 6' 190....and i think my 350 is great.....

04 Rappy with some stuff

devildog108

and trails are trails.  Ride at D-town some and so on.....

04 Rappy with some stuff

Colorado700R

The only way you're gonna know what's right for you DD, is seat time on both.

Aaron