Light Upgrades?

Started by Krandall, July 09, 2008, 02:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie700R

Quote from: Krandall on July 10, 2008, 09:37:36 AM
by the looks of it they take up a lot of room on the bars. ???
Not really, They mount on the 2 front bar clamp bolts with their own bracket.

Krandall

Hmmmm, I'll give Soltek a call, They pretty reasonable on price?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Jamie700R

Extremely. Pm Sent

Bert

Quote from: Krandall on July 10, 2008, 08:01:57 AM
Interrrrrresting.

I'ma look into that kit you posted on Ebay bert, Thanks! :clap:
On Ebay a while back kits were going for $80 with slim ballasts, not sure if the price jumped or there's a better deal online.

It would be nice to have the lights turn with the bars but I don't want expensive lights smashing into the ground in the event of a wheels up situation.

I believe someone bought cheap immitation Trail Tech lights & then used the HID kit. I searched but didn't find any pics.  Lots of options

Personally I'll try the Ebay HID's & if they suck put them on the lawn mower   ::)

shookie

Quote from: Bert on July 10, 2008, 06:41:34 PM
Interrrrrresting.

On Ebay a while back kits were going for $80 with slim ballasts, not sure if the price jumped or there's a better deal online.

It would be nice to have the lights turn with the bars but I don't want expensive lights smashing into the ground in the event of a wheels up situation.

I believe someone bought cheap immitation Trail Tech lights & then used the HID kit. I searched but didn't find any pics.  Lots of options

Personally I'll try the Ebay HID's & if they suck put them on the lawn mower   ::)
Who mows at night lol
2008 Raptor 700r SE
Hmf Ballance(black), PCV, Pro Design Foam,Maxxis razr 2 all the way around, Pro Taper SE Raptor Bend, ASV Levers, odi ROUGE lock on grips, Tusk Billet gas cap, Dr. D Reverse Lever, Rock A-arm guards, Rock nerfs
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own

preddy08

Quote from: shookie on July 11, 2008, 03:13:57 PM
Interrrrrresting.

Who mows at night lol

Meth heads from Council Bluffs :thumbs:
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

shookie

2008 Raptor 700r SE
Hmf Ballance(black), PCV, Pro Design Foam,Maxxis razr 2 all the way around, Pro Taper SE Raptor Bend, ASV Levers, odi ROUGE lock on grips, Tusk Billet gas cap, Dr. D Reverse Lever, Rock A-arm guards, Rock nerfs
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own

Bert

Quote from: shookie on July 11, 2008, 03:13:57 PM
Interrrrrresting.

Who mows at night lol
I've mowed after sunset to finish.  If your working nights it seems normal
If its really really dusty its good mowing at night  :lol:

Jamie700R

One more pic.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ThisGuyAlex

i dunno bout them bar lights......woulda smashed my head off em more than once already.....
sold the raptor....full on 05 yfz in progress...

stock parts: fuel tank, swingarm and rear shock

Duane

Got a email asking for some input on HID's, so I'm here to help.

On the stator, supposedly the Raptor stators are good for 100w. If anyone asked me to ever send something to Ricky Stators, I'd be hessitant, heard to many bad things and considering I have personally seen a Rappy with 2 H12 and H16 Trailtech lights (135w) at night, I'm more then convinced a stcok stator is sufficient.

As for the ebay kit, I have them on mine (go for the 6k for best light, 8k is sharp blue, 10k is blue). I have the larger ballast kit, have had them mounted in two differnt locations, one on the crossbeam in front of the steering shaft and now being supported by the plastic piece under the gas tank, using a t-brackeT I made and a large washer.

Now for power, I have seen them done 3 different ways. I tried initially to power straight from the stock wiring (probably would of worked if I didn't f*ck up installing the connectors), but that didn't work. So I have mine setup like this, left hand side is powered using a relay, power from bat, right side off the stock wiring. 2nd way One relay being activated by stock wiring, powered from bat, split to both ballast and 3rd, two relays, being activated by stock wiring, powered from bat.

For the bulbs, order the H6M's, use the stock "cup" and spring to hold the lights in.

For pwoer to the lights, I choose the high position, my low beam powers my www.livewire.com whip

Anymore questions, feel free to ask. The 80 buck ebay is the way to go IMO. Hell, I'm ordering 2 more for my two 434's (Z and KFX).
07 Rappy 700r SE1
1. Barker duals
2. FuelATV air filter
3. PCIIIusb
4. Prog Dyantek ing
5. stgII Hotcm
6. Kenny TB bore
7. JE 11-1 piston
ebay 8k HIDs, skat 21/12-8 7 paddles, I-shock I4500, G-force axle, CCP sterring stabilizer
other toy 66 2 door post Nova, LS1/4l60e, in progress

Bert

Duane - do you have a link to the $80 HID's?

Duane

Quote from: Bert on July 18, 2008, 11:48:24 PM
Duane - do you have a link to the $80 HID's?

do a search for HID H6M conversion and you will pull a bunch up. Usually they ate 25-40 bucks with 30-40 bucks shipping.
07 Rappy 700r SE1
1. Barker duals
2. FuelATV air filter
3. PCIIIusb
4. Prog Dyantek ing
5. stgII Hotcm
6. Kenny TB bore
7. JE 11-1 piston
ebay 8k HIDs, skat 21/12-8 7 paddles, I-shock I4500, G-force axle, CCP sterring stabilizer
other toy 66 2 door post Nova, LS1/4l60e, in progress

Shawnz

I agree 100% with what Duane has said about the ebay kits.   that $145 kit looks like everything you get in the $75-$80 kit.  It is worth the extra $5 for the slim ballasts though.  They are easier to find a place to mount them and they appear to be potted.

I put the kit with the Slim ballasts on a friend's Rzr and it worked out great.  The seller is 'supervtec'.

Two other friends installed the kits with the large ballasts like Duane has.   One of them had a ballast failure:

He replaced the ballast (at his cost) and managed to get a potted ballast.  He's up and running now.   We took apart the other three ballasts and JB-welded that piece (igniter?) and anything else that looked like it might vibrate loose.  So far, so good.

The only complaints I have with the supervtec guy on ebay is that once the money chnages hands you'll never be able to communicate with him again.   Forget warranty / support.   for the money though, you can't really go wrong  :lol:.

My other gripe is the color of the bulbs.  I have the Simple Racing 6000k kit and love it.  The first two ebay kits with the large ballasts also ordered 6000k kits.  To my eye the ebay kit on the left looks 8000k:

We all agree that the whiter light that mine puts out just lights up the desert better.  They plan on swapping bulbs to get some whiter ones.  Maybe even 5000k.

Now, here is the weird part, on that Rzr kit the owner also ordered the 6000k bulbs.   His match mine perfect and he's happy as can be.

As for the Stator...

The stock headlights draw 30W/ea.  The HIDs draw 35w/ea.  10W is pretty insignificant.

Besides the HIDs I'm powering 2x LED license plate lights (no idea on the draw but it can't be much!) and I'm powering my GPS as well.

I have had issues where the battery runs down on an extended night ride (I'm talking 8+ hours).  It has only happened when riding where I'm just creeping along in extremely rough terrain.  When this happens I'll lose one or both lights, seemingly out of nowhere.

On the last night ride I went on (5-6 hours), the Raptor 700 that is 100% stock + the ebay HIDs started losing one or both lights towards the end of the ride.

I have all but eliminated this problem by doing two main things:

#1 I now use a battery tender religiously.  It's plugged into the tender right now, sitting on the trailer.

#2 I have a whole process around my lights.
  a. I always have the lights off when starting the quad.
  b. The lights only come on when under-way.  If I want to stay visible I use the low beam setting (no headlights) to keep the plate / tail light lit up.
  c. Lights off, then turn the quad off.

It way be overkill, but I haven't had to push start or deal with losing both lights at once since starting to treat the lights as fragile  :thumbs:.

Unlike halogens which just get dimmer as the battery runs down, HIDs just turn off when the voltage drops.

Shawn
2007 Raptor GYTR

Krandall

Thank you for that awesome review/writeup Shawnz!!

Question. when you took the balast apart. What parts specifically did you jbweld? ???

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once