I think I blew up my motor

Started by war4g64, May 19, 2010, 02:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DL700

most of the crank failures i see thru here are from either lack of oil changes (frequency of changes is too far apart) and poor oil quality......

run the motor on high quality FULL SYNTHETIC oil and change it often... every 4 tanks of fuel when riding sand dunes....every 2 tanks when drag/ hill racing, every 6 tanks trail riding
CUERVO RACING

Colorado700R

thats not enough for trail riding either every, 2 rides max.

war4g64

I think this lack of oil problem was from when I installed the stage 3 cam, I droped a bolt into the side cover (left hand side sitting on the bike), I did not replace that gasket just put the cover back on with that gasket torn in couple places. I had no external leaks, but I am thinking I had a internal oil leak. Looking at that cover I see some oil passage ways, not sure if any of them feed the crank. When this did happen I was drag racing maybe 25 passes in one night. I was running oil from the local dealer here. I dont want this to happen again.  :cry: Thank you for all the replys I have gotten, Hope to be running soon. :clap:

war4g64

I will post pics as soon as I get off my lazy ass an take some. I have orderd the tool to get the flywheel off, and thank you for the link.

Alkire193

The oil flows through those channels. When you reinstall the covers you cant just slap them on, the old gasket that you tore must be cleaned off and either replaced or use some sort of high temp sealant until the new gasket arrives.

or you get a failure due to loss of oil

war4g64

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I kinda destroyed my laptop.  :cry: I would like to thank tech squad for a great deal and very quick shipping. I bought all the tools needed from rocky mount atv to get this thing rolling again. The motor is back together and in the bike after countless late nights.  :clap: It seems to run well around my small yard. I have a tune issue that I will deal with tomarrow night. I need to download a couple tunes and see which one gets me close and then tune from there, any pointers would be very helpful as far wich tune I might need. The setup is stock head and throttle body, hc3 cam, 11.1 compression, stroker crank, dynatech ign., pc3 gytr intake and exhaust, 778cc.  :jaw: Thank you all for the links and all the help to get this thing going. :thumbs:

Spartan

Sweet! Glad to see you got it going again   :thumbs:

Krandall

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

war4g64

Off topic anybody going to busco beach tomarrow? :clap:

nikita

Quote from: Alkire193 on May 19, 2010, 09:06:35 PM
Quote from: war4g64 on May 19, 2010, 08:31:31 PM
Right side of the crank is blue from heat left side looked normal. I was looking for a reason to build this thing, how trail friendly is the 770?  :clap:

if you have the nuts

good question-great answer :P

nikita

Quote from: DL700 on May 21, 2010, 03:06:16 PM
most of the crank failures i see thru here are from either lack of oil changes (frequency of changes is too far apart) and poor oil quality......

run the motor on high quality FULL SYNTHETIC oil and change it often... every 4 tanks of fuel when riding sand dunes....every 2 tanks when drag/ hill racing, every 6 tanks trail riding

I change my motor oil every 10 hours or earlier when competing...
Many of my mates change it once in season or every 40 hours...thats sick :rolleyes:
cheap oil vs engine rebuild- each of us has the opportuni :thumbs:ty to choose