FCI foam filter

Started by MAN, September 20, 2009, 10:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

throttlesteer

Quote from: MAN on September 21, 2009, 08:47:15 PM
I had the Outerwears on the K&N and you see what the K&N looks like. I think you oil the foam wrap. At least it say's, The Airforce Pre-Cleaner is designed to be used with K&N Filter Oil and must be cleaned with K&N Cleaner or soap & water.

Interesting, on all the ones we used for the dirt circle tracks they never oil them.

You must be riding through some seriously dirty conditions or the Outerwear is not on correctly.  With the Outerwears on it should be virtually impenetrable by dirt.
BA Performance
throttlesteer: Owner/Mechanic/Parts
Annie:  Co-Owner
dabigbratj:  Quad Mechanic/Parts

Spider/Paleface513

As I said before mine looked same way after being on some really dusty roads,and trails in Florida for aweek shouldve checked it earlier. I used to check it like once every 3-4 rides so once a month I ride almost every weekend.
-07 700-based 734 trail build!!
105.5 11:1 5050 +2 +1 head WK54mm TB pink denso injector dynatek w/HDD curves DMC Force 4's PRM skids nerfs and 6pack rack DG bumper HID slim ballist kit flexx bars w/rebound kit HDD clutch kit Ava levers shortys DRD reverse lever key relocator spiderweb grill and cam cover mudlite SP's all around LSR axlecaliber 68.8hp 48.7tq w/+3 TB

HotRods +5 coming!

MAN

Quote from: throttlesteer on September 21, 2009, 08:56:26 PM
Quote from: MAN on September 21, 2009, 08:47:15 PM
I had the Outerwears on the K&N and you see what the K&N looks like. I think you oil the foam wrap. At least it say's, The Airforce Pre-Cleaner is designed to be used with K&N Filter Oil and must be cleaned with K&N Cleaner or soap & water.

Interesting, on all the ones we used for the dirt circle tracks they never oil them.

You must be riding through some seriously dirty conditions or the Outerwear is not on correctly.  With the Outerwears on it should be virtually impenetrable by dirt.

It really was crazy how dusty it was up there.. I don't need it for everyday riding but I do want some extra insurance for days like that.. :thumbs:
07 Raptor 700r
PC3, DMC Force 4's, FCI with box, CP 11:1 piston, HDD/Web 5050 cam, Kibblewhite Springs, VelociRaptor Trex II +1 port, +2 TB, 07-09 YZ450f Tusk clutch kit, Ron Woods clutch springs, Evac, Dynatek with HDD map, i5500 +2 LT kit, WiigStyle rear shock, CCP, Hiper CF1 beadlocks, GNCC's and more..

Spider/Paleface513

+1 on not for every ride just dust bowls.
105.5 11:1 5050 +2 +1 head WK54mm TB pink denso injector dynatek w/HDD curves DMC Force 4's PRM skids nerfs and 6pack rack DG bumper HID slim ballist kit flexx bars w/rebound kit HDD clutch kit Ava levers shortys DRD reverse lever key relocator spiderweb grill and cam cover mudlite SP's all around LSR axlecaliber 68.8hp 48.7tq w/+3 TB

HotRods +5 coming!

throttlesteer

Quote from: PALEFACE513 on September 21, 2009, 09:07:40 PM
As I said before mine looked same way after being on some really dusty roads,and trails in Florida for aweek shouldve checked it earlier. I used to check it like once every 3-4 rides so once a month I ride almost every weekend.

IMO, I checked mine after every ride.  If anything, just take it off and shake the loose dirt off of it.  Even with the foam filter wrap you'll still have this issue after 3-4 rides if you check it once a month.
BA Performance
throttlesteer: Owner/Mechanic/Parts
Annie:  Co-Owner
dabigbratj:  Quad Mechanic/Parts

Spider/Paleface513

Quote from: throttlesteer on September 22, 2009, 09:58:02 PM
Quote from: PALEFACE513 on September 21, 2009, 09:07:40 PM

IMO, I checked mine after every ride.  If anything, just take it off and shake the loose dirt off of it.  Even with the foam filter wrap you'll still have this issue after 3-4 rides if you check it once a month.
It says used to check every 3-4 rides. That was like once a month until I went on a 30 mile ride in Florida on really dusty dirt roads. It wasn't that bad in the spring and early summer it wasn't as dry so there wasn't as much dust practicly none. I checked it when I first got rode it twice last October. Bought big3 stock filter fine. Parked it for most of the winter march pulled her out checked everything warmed it up a little changed oil and filter. Cleaned air filter and oiled went riding nextday came home washed quad cleaned chain and oiled it. Checked filter wasn't ever bad until this time really. But everytime I've checked it I clean it and outterwear just because I'm there now anyway. I check it alot more now I'm just wanting a little extra protection in super dusty condictions

HotRods +5 coming!

Krandall

If you measure the neck of the FCI You can usually go to any automotive store and buy a filter for that size. did that for my bro's mini bike when we wanted a K&N on it. :thumbs:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Spider/Paleface513

Quote from: MAN on September 21, 2009, 06:23:20 PM
I'm going to give one of the K&N foam wraps a try. I think/hope it will take care of the problem.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200384347922&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
:help:Did you ever get one how'd it work out ??? :yamaha:

HotRods +5 coming!

09RappySE

Think that if you want to about the outerware stopping dirt, I thought the same thing untill I sent a oil sample in for testing and found out there was a lot of dirt getting by, send an oil sample in to blackstone for testing and I bet you will think otherwise.
734 09 Raptor
Meglodon by Bo,KW springs, Web 4 Cam, 54mm TB, 105.5mm CP cylinder, 12:1 CP,Barkers Inframe,Dynatek Coil,PC V,Dynatek Programable ignition,CCP stabilizer,+5 swinger,Boss Noss, Direct Drive Lock-up, KDS Evac valve,HID conversion,SPAL fan
Tuned by EHS Racing 74hp 52Tq

07 LT-R450
500cc Kit
Porting by Bo
DMC Pro Comp 4
Trinity intake
ATP intake Cam
Tuned by EHS 50hp 34Tq