Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Question for those who have experience on dyno's (or have been dyno'd)  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
If you plan on winning I suggest you get the maximum HP available, then find the tire/gearing combo to match.  Not the other way around.

Offline Kenny

• Engine Guru
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email

changing cams like that will need a tire and gearing change to accomidate each.....
ive found that sacrificing some of the mid range torque and gearing it to load up the motor in 2nd gear launches produces a stronger and much more consistent launch, but in turn causes shift points and rpm to be more critical......but its all good, i have the rpm range to work with,  my current setup optimal shift rpm is 8500 rpm.... :thumbs:

SETUP/TIRES AND GEARING are much more important the a few HP

If you plan on winning I suggest you get the maximum HP available, then find the tire/gearing combo to match.  Not the other way around.
That is what we are looking for...... maximum average HP across the RPM drop of each gear. Since there is about a 2500 RPM drop between gears, we want the maximum average power across that whole 2500 RPM. If one cam makes 2 or 3 more HP up top, but the overall average is lower, the cam with less power on top, but better average will be faster. It will not feel as fast because of the more linear power without a sudden burst at the end. Most of us have experienced this with factory turbo 4 cyl cars that feel like rockets, but end up not being fast at all when it comes to the track. The RJ on a stock bore/stroke is pulling to 8,600 without dropping off with a +3 TB and FCI. With a 50mm(sleeved 54) and FCI it will go well past the factory rev limit. A 48 or 49mm TB will probably be the strongest overall performer on this setup 8)
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154
Paypal: kenny@swva.net

:satan:

Offline DL700

• Street Cred: 5
    • Email
yup, max hp does not win races but rather a great setup and a awesome powerband optimized  for the rpm range u are using...
if u cant put the power down to the ground it is useless.....

changing intake setups on the BIg 52mm picked up 3 mph for me...
CUERVO RACING

Offline air

• Street Cred: 4
    • The Utah ATV Association
My machine Dynos 10 HP less and about the same peak TQ as some of the others that I run with, But I am right with them due to a Broad flat TQ curve. I actually run up the steeper stuff faster.
Peak HP numbers are great for Dyno Racers but a Broad flat Torque curve is where it is at in the real world.
Rusty

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
  • Street Cred: 6
  • even dodge dealerships wont take a ford on trade
    • Email
hp sells engines, torque wins races  :thumbs:
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"