Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: College Football Kickoff!  (Read 11573 times)

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 23
  • I'm all out of quotes, take off hoser
Re: College Football Kickoff!
« Reply #240 on: January 07, 2009, 11:19:20 AM »
:nana:

You gonna make it to LS this year douche bag?

I didn't go this year because you didn't go.

"Near....Far.....Where ever you are......"

:lol:

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #241 on: January 07, 2009, 11:22:02 AM »

~Brian

"You don't complete me"  :rofl:

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #242 on: January 07, 2009, 11:22:45 AM »
Utah deserves a nod for sure......"Strength of schedule" gets them though.

Bad thing is anything less than the Champiosnhip game, no one has any reason to play for anything. That's why the NCAA tournament is so sucessful in my opinion.

Everyone gets a shot at March Madness if you can make it to the dance!

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #243 on: January 07, 2009, 11:23:30 AM »

~Brian

"You don't complete me"  :rofl:

Shut up.

Just shut up.

You had me at "You"

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #244 on: January 07, 2009, 03:41:40 PM »
I don't know how much longer they'll keep him around now.  He's a great coach, but the bottomline is they haven't got it done in quite awhile.  OSU has more pride in there football team than any school I've ever seen, but they also refuse to suffer mediocrity.  And especially since they spend the most $$ on sports than any other school in the NCAA. 

Aaron

I'm sorry, is the ND fan suggesting the removal of a coach for poor results?   :rofl:

You're claiming mediocrity?  OSU has had a share of the conference title for 4 straight years and went to 4 straight BCS bowl games for a total of 6 under Tressel.  That's 17million a year for each of the last 4 years that Tressel has brought into the school and conference (OSU  gets a lump off the top in addition to the shared funds).  Tack on the fact that he's beat Michigan for the last 5 years in one of if not the biggest NCAA rivalries and I just can't swallow your claim of "mediocrity".

BTW Charlie Weiss brought in just under 400k for playing in the Hawaii bowl, OSU gets almost 5 times that much right off the top of this year's Fiesta bowl appearance.

Not saying I don't believe you, but where'd you get the "spend more money on sports than any NCAA school" factoid?

With the exception of Iowa's convincing win and NWU's close loss every team in the Big 10 got blown out in embarrassing losses during bowl week.  OSU came in and played the number 3 ranked team in the country to the last 0:16 seconds of the football game.  They held them to a field goal in the first half and ran all up and down the field.  And even after Texas came out firing in all cylinders in the third quarter it wasn't without substantial resistance from the OSU defense, case in point Colt McCoy getting the He-Man of the day award for taking all those hits in stride.  If the #1 and #3 teams in the Big 10 get blown out by opponents from the Pac 10 and SEC, surely OSU's loss to a #3 ranked Big 12 team has to be considered the best Big 10 performance of the Bowl season.  What team in the Big 10 deserves more respect than OSU right now?

There is no argument that the Big 10 isn't down, in fact I'd have to think long and hard about whether I think they deserve to keep the #4 spot or if the ACC was the #4 conference this year.  But being on top of a lowly conference is better than being in the middle of a great one.  For instance, the big 10 and sec both sent their #4 teams to the outback bowl and Iowa came out on top.

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #245 on: January 07, 2009, 03:56:23 PM »
I don't know how much longer they'll keep him around now.  He's a great coach, but the bottomline is they haven't got it done in quite awhile.  OSU has more pride in there football team than any school I've ever seen, but they also refuse to suffer mediocrity.  And especially since they spend the most $$ on sports than any other school in the NCAA. 

Aaron

I'm sorry, is the ND fan suggesting the removal of a coach for poor results?   :rofl:

You're claiming mediocrity?  OSU has had a share of the conference title for 4 straight years and went to 4 straight BCS bowl games for a total of 6 under Tressel.  That's 17million a year for each of the last 4 years that Tressel has brought into the school and conference (OSU  gets a lump off the top in addition to the shared funds).  Tack on the fact that he's beat Michigan for the last 5 years in one of if not the biggest NCAA rivalries and I just can't swallow your claim of "mediocrity".

BTW Charlie Weiss brought in just under 400k for playing in the Hawaii bowl, OSU gets almost 5 times that much right off the top of this year's Fiesta bowl appearance.

Not saying I don't believe you, but where'd you get the "spend more money on sports than any NCAA school" factoid?

With the exception of Iowa's convincing win and NWU's close loss every team in the Big 10 got blown out in embarrassing losses during bowl week.  OSU came in and played the number 3 ranked team in the country to the last 0:16 seconds of the football game.  They held them to a field goal in the first half and ran all up and down the field.  And even after Texas came out firing in all cylinders in the third quarter it wasn't without substantial resistance from the OSU defense, case in point Colt McCoy getting the He-Man of the day award for taking all those hits in stride.  If the #1 and #3 teams in the Big 10 get blown out by opponents from the Pac 10 and SEC, surely OSU's loss to a #3 ranked Big 12 team has to be considered the best Big 10 performance of the Bowl season.  What team in the Big 10 deserves more respect than OSU right now?

There is no argument that the Big 10 isn't down, in fact I'd have to think long and hard about whether I think they deserve to keep the #4 spot or if the ACC was the #4 conference this year.  But being on top of a lowly conference is better than being in the middle of a great one.  For instance, the big 10 and sec both sent their #4 teams to the outback bowl and Iowa came out on top.

Whoa, whoa whoa.......A, I wasn't attacking OSU.  B. I even said Tressel was a great coach.  C.  I was praising OSU for the football esprit-de corp.

Relax your sphincter Mike :lol:

I'm just saying OSU Fans, allumni, players, etc will always have the highest expectations from there team.  And will not settle for "almost" for much longer.

My Irish need a new coach, no doubt becuase they can't even beat themselves.   Calls are going to come for a new OSU coach, becuase they expect the best and they are paying for it.

Llyod Carr was a good coach, but crushed by great expectations.  The thing that has kept Tressel off the hot seat IMO, is he beats Michigan.

And here's the OSU sports budget info http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2007-01-04-ohiostate-finances-cover_x.htm

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #246 on: January 07, 2009, 04:09:22 PM »
I was impressed with Pryor.

This kid is very talented.

Ohio State played great D. Beenie Wells ran all over Texas, which is highly unusual. Generally Texas is known for their run defense (with the exception of the Texas Tech and Ohio State game this season).

After seeing their performance, I do believe Ohio State is the best team out of the Big Ten this year. I think Iowa would be second since they played well in the last part of the season and Michigan State a very close third. Penn State third (even though they beat Iowa by one) They had a few ups and downs this season, but came very prepared to play a solid Texas team. Texas running the fast pace offense proved trouble at the end for Ohio State adjusting, along with the fourth down play that gave Texas a great spot.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
« Reply #247 on: January 07, 2009, 04:43:07 PM »
Perhaps I need to add more smileys Aaron, I wouldn't want you getting butt hurt because you thought I was taking this personal or too seriously. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Losing two NCG's in a row was heartbreaking for fans, and they go their hearts broken again at 0:16 on the clock earlier this week.  The year after OSU finished 14-0 Oklahoma made the NCG, and lost both times.  But here Oklahoma is, perennial contender with a coach making 3 times as much as other Big 12 heavy hitters.  The majority of Buckeye fans are not so unrealistic as to expect to win every year.  OSU lost a BCS game to Texas the other night, last year's NC LSU Tigers finished an unranked 8-5 with a win over Georgia Tech in the Chik-Fil-A bowl.  Being consistently near the top of the pile is pretty darn good in an era when Utah and Boise State are winning BCS games, most fans are bright enough to see that a BCS loss is better than aspiring to the Motor City Bowl.  If you don't believe me just ask the UofM fans who called for Lloyd Carr's head and after getting their wish suffered through the end of the longest bowl appearance streak in college football history.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 04:45:39 PM by Mad Dog »

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #248 on: January 09, 2009, 07:32:24 AM »
Good game last night......I'm a little disappointed in Oklahoma's play calling in the red zone. Oklahoma played well in the first half, answered early in the third, but just couldn't contain like they did in the first half.

Oh well, there's always next year. I'm curious to see who will make themselves eligible for the draft now.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #249 on: January 09, 2009, 08:53:22 AM »
It was a great game.  Tebow is a monster.  But your boy is about the most accurate college football passer I've ever seen.

The INTs happen, but that kid lace your shoes from across the field  :thumbs:

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #250 on: January 09, 2009, 08:57:09 AM »
The crazy thing is he wouldn't have had a pick if the reciever would have held onto the ball both times. He didn't throw it directly to the defender. I am a little pissed that the coaches keep signaling after the team was set. Let Bradford change the play like he did all season by reading the defense.

Tebow is a great athlete. He's like having a coach on the field.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
« Reply #251 on: January 09, 2009, 01:52:30 PM »
Two Red Zone stands by FLA made the difference, a couple of yards and the game could have been OK's.

Bradford is great, he had the kind of year (incredible stats) that Tebow had last year when he won the heisman.  Tebow didn't have the numbers this year but he truly led his team to greatness.  I'd like to see what Bradford can do with this year under his belt, I think he has that kind of leadership in him.

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #252 on: January 09, 2009, 02:23:52 PM »
It will be interesting to see if Braford stays or makes the jump to the NFL.

The owner of our store is a huge OU booster, and is friends with several of OU's coaches (including former coach Barry Switzer). Rumor has it Bradford has stated "I don't want to play in Detroit."

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #253 on: January 09, 2009, 09:33:30 PM »
isnt he a redshirt sofmore?  the kid is only gonna get better in that dynamic system at OU