Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: paddles in snow???  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Warren

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
    • Email
Re: paddles in snow???
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 07:09:08 PM »
ok i guess the next snow we get i'll have to try out the wolverine. it's surprising to me i havn't taken it out in the snow yet this year.  ??? there's a huge patch of ice right outside of town i'm wanting to hit though. i'll take it out there too. thanks for your input guys.  :thumbs:

I ripped up that patch of ice earlier today and i didnt fall through it was crackin a bit tho in the deep stuff.

well damnit. i guess i'll have to take the wolvy out on it. i sent my grab bar off to powder coating.
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Offline NeverEnough

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 11:09:40 PM »
I tried few days ago with my friends 450r. Didnt work very well once i started to lose a little speed and the front tires sunk in. than again it was about 2 foot deep in that spot so i really cant say how they would do in say 6 inches or so.
2006 Raptor 727
2009 YFZR 450

Offline monster757

• Email
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 12:10:30 AM »
I imagine they would only work in heavy snow or else you will just dig until you get to dirt.

Online Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 09:14:12 AM »
I imagine they would only work in heavy snow or else you will just dig until you get to dirt.

this is what I experienced.  Snow you are riding in has to be a little denseor have weight to it, so the paddles have something to bite...and throw(like sand).  The act of throwing the sand/snow backwards propels the tire forward. Watch a sand drag race, you will see it. OR, the next time you are at the dunes, take off slow and watch your paddles, you can see the sand moving backwards. 

2-6" of packed wet snow, it would be noticeably better traction. Powder...no deal!
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline vreds

• whaaaDADADADADADADADADA engine cut off sound clip
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 09:38:25 AM »
Too agressive in snow is like not enough. On hard packed, groomed trail it would provide great hook-up, but on the other hands, the guys behind you will hate you. In powder, it will dig more than anything...

We ride with maxxis 4-snow, ams Zipper around here and it is a good compromise. Enough grip to do wheelie on the trail and to not tear the trail. If you don't have these, you can't go in the trail, with a sport atv.

I've put some crazy carpet skid plate ( ghetto way ) under my rappy, and you can basicaly go "everywhere", where there no more snow than the height of the front tire. Except if you like to shovel and lose time  :lol:
Raptor 700 2006 ... now with a dead engine :(

PC5
YFZ front shock
CCP stabilizer
Lonestar axle

Online Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 09:41:43 AM »
+1 on Maxxis 4snows or AMS zippers. They have a bigger footprint that lets them float.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"